Thread: Zhiyun Crane

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
  1. Collapse Details
    I *LOVE* seeing you play with these little toys for your big (at least for my standards) productions.

2. Collapse Details
    I had this thing and put it on a small quick release to use as a stand.
    https://www.amazon.com/DJI-Tripod-Ha.../dp/B017H1OVH2
    It works great and adds a bit more leverage for handholding.
    I put my crane in a Pelican 1600 case fully built out so that can just pull it out and use it. I give the battery compartment a single twist to loosen it and that keeps it from getting power to accidentally turn on in the case.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for all of the suggestions guys! Yeah, I added weight at the bottom as well, like Charles.

However, it all feels rather delicate when packing it if the motor section is all loose and jangly.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ozmorphasis View Post
    Gonna try this setup today.

GH5
    Nikon 28mm Ais (lightweight dumb adapter - no aperture control on adapter)
    Beholder 2 grip handle
    Neewer fishbone arca quick release
    arca plate with a bit of lateral adjustability (useful if you don't have truly bidirectional plate like Bern's RRS)
    701 lite monitor
    hdmi cable that is WAY too thick. I'm not used to needing a full size hdmi on both ends. Good problem to finally have

The whole setup, despite all of the add-ons, is still so much more forgiving on the arms than a ronin M or similar. Of course, the weight capacity is also way more limited.

So far, I love:

How easy it is to get eye level shots because the Crane's arm is so long.
    I can get really low shots simply by tilting forward since it's light enough to do so when using both hands.
    I can set it down easily, although as you can see, it's a fairly top heavy setup with a somewhat narrow base. Still....
    It makes balancing the thing or making any other adjustments much easier
    The entire setup has a quick release plate, so switching to single handle is very fast.

Will try to follow up with a bit of test footage.

Attachment 122713
    How was it? I'm tempted to pull the plug on the beholder handles so I can mount my monitor easier too. looks like a lovely setup for travel when I can't take my Movi M5 with me.

5. Collapse Details
    Selling my lightly used crane with remote for $550 PM if interested

6. Collapse Details
    I just keep a small Manfrotto QR plate on the bottom and mount it on a Benro tripod so it's ready to use as needed on shoots.
    And we keep a Rokinon 12mm on a stripped down BMPCC on it for everything.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by filmguy123 View Post
    Selling my lightly used crane with remote for $550 PM if interested
    Is this the version 2?
    if so please PM

8. Collapse Details
    This is my last short, I uploaded it two days ago. The shot at 0:24 is a fake crane shot that I could only pull off because of the Zhiyun Crane: I put the ZC on a cheap monopod, extended it all the way, and lifted it by hand. It is definitely not as smooth as an actual crane shot, but we dressed the room, lit it, smoked it, got five or six takes of this shot, then cleared everything, all of it in half an hour. With a crew of "me and the two girls". Just setting up a small crane would take me almost that long.

Also, I chose the shot with the best acting, and it turned out to be one of the least smoothed ones. The plan was to stabilize it in post but it didn't work well enough, so what you see is the original motion. If I had to shoot this again, I'd set a couple of coins to the right of her: the blanket motion killed the warp stabilizer (at least I couldn't make it work), and the wrinkles in the sheets were too soft to do two-point tracking for at least half of the shot; two coins for doing two-point tracking, then removing them in post, would have been a good idea.

Using a better monopod would also have helped a lot: my cheap one bent and wobbled when fully extended with the ZC and camera looking down like this.

https://youtu.be/GdjorEd0hKU?t=24

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829