Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Whoa man. Everyone who ever defended the Matrix (I thought it was dumb) did so by pointing out how it was very philosophical etc. etc.

The Shining was about the dangers of watching too much Johnny Carson. Obviously.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dmitrizigany View Post
    I've started working on my first narrative film.
    More likely than not it will be a no/very small budget affair.

The biggest issue I see with most no/low budget films is that they seem to write the script, then they try to shoehorn that into their small budget. Meaning the actors never fit their parts, the locations don't fit the story etc etc.

I'm trying to go another way, right now I'm just writing down ideas, I have a clear idea of the beginning and the end of the story, and the main protagonist is already cast.
    But I'm deliberately trying to keep things open, will shoot a trailer/mood shots to use to find people and then depending on what crew/actors that want to be part of it and what locations we have access too, they will be written in... To work with the limitations instead of against them, if you will.

Have anyone tried an approach like this?

One drawback I can see is that once people commit (and hopefully also are excited by the project) things need to move fast or people will lose interest....
    Your point is valid and I've heard someone else suggest writing around available things before, plus read some article by the filmmakers ("Dogs Playing Poker" was the name of the film I think) where they actually did it. I think it's a great way to do it IF you're an endless font of creativity and can write on demand like Alex here. I think many of us (I'm one) have ideas when we have ideas, and they are what they are. They come when they come and they're about what they're about, so when we feel inspired we write/try to tell a story, and if that story is about spacemen in a medieval castle, so be it. I suppose you could try to figure out the essence of the story and then alter it to fit what you have, but sometimes things just want to be what they want to be, you know?

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    The Shining was about the dangers of watching too much Johnny Carson. Obviously.
    Like so many, you totally missed the hidden message - which was really about the dangers of watching too much Ed McMahon. Johnny was a decoy. 'Heeeeres Ed!' just didn't have the punch they were looking for.

kep181a.jpg

4. Collapse Details
    "The Shining" shooting took eight months and the script was being constantly revised. At the end, the opening 1/3rd was about one subject - boy's visions, his father's abuse; the last 2/3rd were about something else - personal horror of the father. They didn't really fit well.

But it was still a great movie.

And Johnny Carson wasn't about Ed McMahon at all. It was a conspiracy to sell Johnny Carson's line of clothing. Johnny was a Kardashian at heart.

5. Collapse Details
    More on dialogue ...

I Saw 'Divergent' last night. I am not big on Sci Fi, partly because there is so much info dumping and exposition to explain what's going on. The necessary evil, I suppose.

But one exchange stood out ...

Beatrice 'Tris' Prior and Natalie Prior are in a shootout to escape. Tris realizes Natalie was a Dauntless.

TRIS
    You were a Dauntless

NATALIE
    It served me well today.

She didn't say yes, or yes my loving daughter, or yup. She affirmed she was a Dauntless through a more clever use of dialogue. You want to exploit any and all opportunities to do this.

6. Collapse Details
    For a few reasons, I decided some time ago not to try and publish my book, so I'll just share.

These are some of the opening chapters (147 pages). Written for both the screenwriter and filmmaker. Maybe you can find something usefull here

https://alexmwhitmer.wordpress.com/zz-excerpt/

Click on HOW TO SPEAK SCRIPT

alex
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 08-20-2016 at 09:19 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by alex whitmer View Post
    More on dialogue ...

I Saw 'Divergent' last night. I am not big on Sci Fi, partly because there is so much info dumping and exposition to explain what's going on. The necessary evil, I suppose...
    But the exposition can be subtly woven into the story ... unlike that incipid voiceover in the "Oblivion" opening, which still explains nothing. It could have been solved much easier with the dialog between Tom Cruise and His Love Interest.

-------------------------------------------------------

HLI - I hate when your helicopter wakes up before you.

TC - I rewired his brain, so you and I could have a few minutes to ourselves while it's warming up.

HLI - Obviously. You are the only man left on Earth who can do such a thing.

TC - I am the only man on Earth to do a lot of things.

HLI - Especially with the last woman on Earth.

The chopper blades suddenly rev up full power.

TC - Oh, shut up.

The revs die down.

HLI : Did it just say, "Yes, master"?

TC - I taught him to abide by my commands.

HLI - Unlike the last woman on Earth?

TC - Yes, master.

And then you go to the next scene with another quick expo.

TC - Gonna fly over the old New York.

HLI - It was once such a magnificent city.

TC - The Earth was once magnificent too. But I don't bother with memories. My job here is almost done. Two more weeks and we're off to our new planet.

HLI : Be careful meantime. You never know what's out there.

TC - After a full blown nuclear war, not even a cockroach.

8. Collapse Details
    Lol, that's seriously bad. And yet, i was produced with some top talent.

From Wikipedia ...

Visually striking but thinly scripted

Its score ...

"54 out of 100 based on 41 reviews, indicating "mixed or average reviews"

Any rose-coloured-glasses thinking that the creative industry of film will naturally gravitate toward the more/most creative screenplays and stories shoiuld be well quashed by now

Right up there with a new model car being visually striking, but runs like s*%t. You sure look good standing next to it on the side of the road, though.
    Last edited by alex whitmer; 08-20-2016 at 09:16 AM.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes, some big and very highly paid writing talent.

But, as someone mentioned about movies sucking - IMO, it often comes from some executive thinking that, if he could only get one more rewrite, then all the problems will be solved. Instead, it breaks up the continuity, introduces the unwanted character traits that weren't in the original draft and just creates a mishmash of a story line. And, often the director can't put his foot down because the star power outweighs him and the production schedule doesn't allow further changes, except a few minor ones. The result is too many cooks thinking that their dish is the one that will be served.

10. Collapse Details
    Was that actual dialogue from Oblivion? I saw it, remember it being "meh", but don't remember enough detail to know if you're kidding or not.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast