1. Collapse Details
    Oscar SoundTech 801 or TL-40?
    I'm looking to upgrade the stock Sony UWP-D11 lav mic, my uses will be usually under clothing, from my research so far it seems Oscar SoundTech offers amazing value for money. With a price way below the other mainstream high quality lavs, but delivering performance at a near enough level to them.

But I'm stuck on which of the OST-801 or TL-40 would make the most sense for me? I guess the TL-40 is smaller and easier to hide, but the 801 would sound a bit better underneath clothing? Hoping somebody here could enlighten me more as to the pros and cons of each for which might suit me Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by IronFilm; 07-13-2016 at 06:36 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    For that low price get all three. The 801 is preferred for under clothing usage and is of the flat, side-fire (Tram) design. The 802 has less of a presence peak for open air usage. The TL40 is an end-fire design and has a flatter, more neutral frequency response. It sounds very good worn externally or when hidden under a button, in a tie, collar or flap of a shirt with the element end exposed to air. It has a lower max SPL level (115 dBSP) than the 801/802, so if dealing with loud sources, the 801/802 would be a better choice.
    With either, the Phantom Power supply/adapter is cost effective for using hardwired. OST's customer service is exceptional as well. Made in USA. (NJ)

3. Collapse Details
    I love the 802, while the TL-40 sits in a box because I really don't like the sound it captures.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade the stock Sony UWP-D11 lav mic, my uses will be usually under clothing...

But I'm stuck on which of the OST-801 or TL-40 would make the most sense for me? I guess the TL-40 is smaller and easier to hide, but the 801 would sound a bit better underneath clothing?
    Use the 801. The TL-40 is smaller and easier to hide, but at the cost of some sound quality apparently. I'm using 802s (over clothing, visible to the camera) and the level of sound quality I get is quite good indeed. Unless you need the smaller size, go for the 801.

Just a note on usage -- the OST mic cables transmit handling noise. No big surprise there. When I use them, I always make a strain relief loop just below the mic and tape that to something -- a layer of clothing, skin, etc. This eliminates all the handling noise for me in my applications. If you're going to be using it under clothes, get some 3M micropore medical tape. If you're taping to skin, your talent will thank you.

5. Collapse Details
    What is the RF shielding like on the OST.

6. Collapse Details
    Dark Side of the Camera Postmaster's Avatar
    Oscar mics are amazing, especially for the price point. Got two 801, since I never use visible mics.
    Can't recommend OST enough.
    frankglencairn.wordpress.com
    http://twitter.com/FrankGlencairn

Real men edit their films in a hex editor.

7. Collapse Details
    I have never tried the TL40 but I have three of the 801s and two of the 802s. Such an amazing value. I have never encountered any RF noise from any OST mic so
    the rejection must be pretty good. I use them with the Tascam DR-10, The Deity Connect, the Røde Video Wireless and have used them with a friends Sennheiser G4s.
    Excellent and half the cost of competing mics. I'm a big fan.

I agree with Rick, get all three.
    It's a business first and a creative outlet second.
    G.A.S. destroys lives. Stop buying gear that doesn't make you money.

8. Collapse Details
    Contact them directly and ask for a price sheet. They sell direct for about a 10-20% discount (I can't remember which).

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    I got the Oscar 802 with the 3.5mm terminal. Just be aware that the 802 is not the most sensitive mic (at least with the Tascam DR-10L) but otherwise great sound for the price...

10. Collapse Details
    Been using the OST lavs now for a while as one of my (many!) mics, and yes, they're great value lavs!

The new kid on the block, Deity has their low priced lavs too, that's going to be next on the list to see how OST compare up against Deity lavs.
    Am a Sound Recordist in New Zealand: http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound/
    Follow my vlog and adventures in sound: https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding