Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I was not trying to troll or make pointless statements. I was attempting to offer a realistic perspective. Any solution you find to get your JVC working the way you wish will easily run $500, more likely closer to $1000. You can buy a lot of modern camera for that. Camera's with greater sensitivity and resolution, lower noise floor, and components that aren't almost a decade old. I was offering a perspective as to where I would think it would be best to spend your funds, and was genuinely trying to be helpful. Sorry if you took it any other way.
    Don't worry Mitch. I read it the same as you wrote it and agree. Some people can be way too harsh. Forest for the trees thing.

2. Collapse Details
    At $200 an old Firestore would be a reasonable purchase, even though it is still only HDV. Only thing cheaper would be a firewire cable to a computer that you already own. There were a few other firewire based recorders, if you found one of those cheap enough, that might be an option.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    HDMI connectors were not a standard on video cameras back in 2007 when mini-DV tape and FireWire was the big low cost thing.
    If I had my druthers, there would be NO HDMI connectors wasting precious real estate on video cameras aimed at the professional market. Well, MAYBE IF there are already at least a bare minimum of TWO SDI OUT connections(one clean and one configurable) available. My F55 has HDMI, but I have four SDI outs, so it doesn't bother me.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecameras View Post
    Not all of us are a materially affluent as you are Mitch so please have some consideration and perhaps learn not to troll/pointless comment in future elsewhere. Some of us have to be frugal....Thanks

Now I await a warning from admin as I have stood up to a 'site sponsor'...
    Really?.....you should work on your vernacular....

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Martin View Post
    Really?.....you should work on your vernacular....

Mr Arrogant speaketh.....zzzzzzzzz

Not exactly giving EVS a good name there James. ;)
    Last edited by lovecameras; 06-24-2016 at 01:02 AM.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    So, other than Barry's sensible comments, there is no real solutions? Well I am surprised and also surprised the "pros" couldn't help me out except make put down personal character assassinations.

Pointless.

0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

7. Collapse Details
    So, other than Barry's sensible comments, there is no real solutions? Well I am surprised and also surprised the "pros" couldn't help me out except make put down personal character assassinations.

Pointless.
    You shouldn't be surprised, with an attitude like that.
    Last edited by mico; 06-24-2016 at 07:39 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Mr Arrogant speaketh.....zzzzzzzzz

Not exactly giving EVS a good name there James. ;)
    The point is you can say what you mean in a better way, not condescending, especially with Mitch, who has been a long time contributor to DVXuser.

9. Collapse Details

Pointless.
    You have had plenty of other solutions. The reality is you are looking for a niche product of a niche category that frankly may not exist. I don't think it is unrealistic for people to suggest alternative solutions to your situation. Not every solution is going to be a solution you like but that doesn't mean it is a bad solution or one done out of spite.

The reality is you are facing a situation with an older camera that doesn't have an economical port to expand it's life beyond the grave. External recording only gets you so far and is not some form of miracle worker. It will not help with noise or what the camera itself is capable of resolving in terms of detail or dynamic range. The image block in your camera is older and any external recorder is going to take that image and just record it as it sees it. No magic to happen there.

Component is also an inferior connection to HDMI in many ways and can soften the video and add it's own unique level of artifacts. It is extremely far from an optimal way to capture video. Yes it was the best we had back then but that doesn't mean it is going to deliver anywhere near decent results by today's standards.

Look I was once in your position trying to breath some life into a Sony F900 by adding an external recorder but the image block is what was getting old on that camera and in the end it still was nowhere near what a newer generation camera was going to deliver in terms of quality.

Mitch's advice was sound and that you may be able to sell your camera and use that money plus what you would spend on an external recorder that nobody even makes and if they did would cost a fortune and just buy a new camera. You could end up walking away without putting an extra penny into the change.

You may not like his answer but that doesn't mean it was a bad answer.

If you absolutely insist on keeping your existing camera then getting a Component to HDMI adapter may be your best choice and figure out a way to power it. Myself and others would highly suggest however to explore the option of selling your camera and getting something that not only has HDMI for the future but has a vastly superior image block and is more future proof.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

10. Collapse Details
    Ok here is a portable battery powered solution. Get an 11" MacBook AIR and a Blackmagic Design Thunderbolt Intensity capture device. Those are bus powered and have component input. Yeah it is a PITA but you can run the setup power free and it has very good component HD capture. You might be able to get 4 or 5 hours out of the setup before the battery dies on the MBA. Get a laptop stand to mount to your tripod and you are more or less good to go. If you buy the ScopeBox software from Divergent Media for $99.00 you can even use that MBA as an 11" field monitor with full scopes, waveform, peaking and the ability to load LUTs. This is likely going to be the only realistic portable solution.

I still say you should just get different camera. That setup would be around $1,000.00 minus storage. Your camera right now is a 720p HD camera. You can buy a used Panasonic GH3 for $500.00 that records incredible 1080p 60p 50mbps that you can down convert to 720p to deliver the same kind of video you deliver now, 1280x720p 59.94p.

If you shoot 24p the whole component capture has another major issue, pulldown removal, assuming that camera even sends out a proper 720p 24p which it likely will not and it will only output 720p 60p with the 24p packed inside of the stream. Normal pulldown removal hardware devices are used to removing pulldown on interlaced material and may not even work with a 720p source which would make the YUV capture virtually useless for 24p projects. Again if you shoot 24p you really are better off getting a camera that can actually output a true 24p signal via a external connection. Or else you will be messing around with removing duplicate frames in post to convert the 60p capture back into a proper 24p video.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast