Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    External recorder for YUV (YPbPr) output camera
    Bronze Member
    I would certainly like to try and keep my JVC HD200UB camera going as it can output 422 uncompressed and has a fine Canon HD lens, but finding it hard to know which external HDD/flash recorder or something could work as the camera lacks a HDMI.

Any suggestions that will work please? Some say a Ninja can work but then I'd need a component to HDMI converter which dont seem to be portable (mains power only?)

Thanks

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Maybe the old AJA Ki Pro? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&fromDisList=y It's discontinued, but there are some on eBay for like $2k.

3. Collapse Details
    Why not the Firestore device that was made to work with this camera? There are a few of the Firestore DR-HD100 listed on ebay that claim to work.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Focus-Fire...AAAOSwYmZXKpkY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Focus-FireStore-DR-HD100-60GB-DTE-Recorder-for-JVC-Cameras/152127492823

4. Collapse Details
    Seriously, for the cost-to-value in buying any of the above solutions, I would suggest it was time to just buy a new camera.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Why not the Firestore device that was made to work with this camera? There are a few of the Firestore DR-HD100 listed on ebay that claim to work.
    They'll work, but they only record at the 25mbps HDV spec, so it wouldn't be on par with a modern HD recorder. You'd get 1440 x 1080 interlaced HDV at 4:2:0 and 25 mbps, or 1280 x 720 HDV at 4:2:0 and 19 mbps (IIRC). No different from the tape that's in the camera.

Even if you got the JVC SxS recorder it wouldn't help; it records 35mbps XDCAM-EX, which is a darn sight better than HDV, but still 4:2:0 long-GoP MPEG-2, and even then, only from the JVC GYHM700U. From the HD200UB, it only does HDV data rates, so... at that point, might as well get the cheap firestore.

An external recorder like a ProRes recorder could result in a notable jump in image quality over HDV, but as said in the original post, it'd have to somehow convert from analog component to HDMI or HD-SDI. BlackMagic makes a $200 mini-converter for component to SDI, but then you'd have to find a way to mount it and power it.

Seriously, for the cost-to-value in buying any of the above solutions, I would suggest it was time to just buy a new camera.
    Totally agree.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    If it makes yu feel any better, I have a Sony Z1U sitting in a cabinet that is equally not worth making work.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

7. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post

Not all of us are a materially affluent as you are Mitch so please have some consideration and perhaps learn not to troll/pointless comment in future elsewhere. Some of us have to be frugal....Thanks

Now I await a warning from admin as I have stood up to a 'site sponsor'...
    Last edited by lovecameras; 06-23-2016 at 12:24 AM.

1 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry_Green View Post
    They'll work, but they only record at the 25mbps HDV spec, so it wouldn't be on par with a modern HD recorder. You'd get 1440 x 1080 interlaced HDV at 4:2:0 and 25 mbps, or 1280 x 720 HDV at 4:2:0 and 19 mbps (IIRC). No different from the tape that's in the camera.

Even if you got the JVC SxS recorder it wouldn't help; it records 35mbps XDCAM-EX, which is a darn sight better than HDV, but still 4:2:0 long-GoP MPEG-2, and even then, only from the JVC GYHM700U. From the HD200UB, it only does HDV data rates, so... at that point, might as well get the cheap firestore.

An external recorder like a ProRes recorder could result in a notable jump in image quality over HDV, but as said in the original post, it'd have to somehow convert from analog component to HDMI or HD-SDI. BlackMagic makes a $200 mini-converter for component to SDI, but then you'd have to find a way to mount it and power it.

Totally agree.
    Thanks Barry for the reasonable and detailed response. I knew I could count on you.

Shame on you JVC for NOT putting in a standard HDMI connector!

0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecameras View Post
    Shame on you JVC for NOT putting in a standard HDMI connector!
    HDMI connectors were not a standard on video cameras back in 2007 when mini-DV tape and FireWire was the big low cost thing.

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecameras View Post
    Not all of us are a materially affluent as you are Mitch so please have some consideration and perhaps learn not to troll/pointless comment in future elsewhere. Some of us have to be frugal....Thanks

Now I await a warning from admin as I have stood up to a 'site sponsor'...
    I was not trying to troll or make pointless statements. I was attempting to offer a realistic perspective. Any solution you find to get your JVC working the way you wish will easily run $500, more likely closer to $1000. You can buy a lot of modern camera for that. Camera's with greater sensitivity and resolution, lower noise floor, and components that aren't almost a decade old. I was offering a perspective as to where I would think it would be best to spend your funds, and was genuinely trying to be helpful. Sorry if you took it any other way.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast