Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What is the current best hand/pistol 3 axis gimbal?
    Bronze Member
    Looking for one for GH4 that is so easy to set up or use out of the box, unlike the rubbish from Filmpower/Nebula.
    Recommendations please? Pilotfly?

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecameras View Post
    Looking for one for GH4 that is so easy to set up or use out of the box, unlike the rubbish from Filmpower/Nebula.
    Recommendations please? Pilotfly?
    Having tested what I think is nearly EVERY 3-axis "stick" system out there I can tell you without reservation, I currently prefer the tiny 2-axis, 2-handed Gibbon GN1 "stick" gimbal.

If your camera lens combo is sufficiently light (max weight is about a GH4/A7sII with small lenses.) The 2-axis (all you really need is tilt and roll with two hands.)

I like to turn the whole gimbal on it's side for what we've nick-named "gangster" mode and it's more responsive, smoother and more confidence inspiring than any other stick gimbal I've tried, including the Big Balance 3-axis version.

A huge plus is that the arm of the Gibbon-GN1 is on the right (correct) side so you can use cameras with a flip out monitor, unlike 99% of the other stick systems. There's also two places to mount arms to hold small external monitors, which is brilliant, and at $499 you can't beat the value.

Yes I sell the Big Balance, but I ALSO sell all the others from major respectable manufacturers (ikan, Feyu..etc.) The GN1 is however the only system we keep in stock, which should tell you something. Highly recommend!
    I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

My hilarious twitter twocks @hotrodcameras

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Illya Friedman View Post
    Having tested what I think is nearly EVERY 3-axis "stick" system out there I can tell you without reservation, I currently prefer the tiny 2-axis, 2-handed Gibbon GN1 "stick" gimbal.

If your camera lens combo is sufficiently light (max weight is about a GH4/A7sII with small lenses.) The 2-axis (all you really need is tilt and roll with two hands.)
    Why the two weight capacity specifications? Is it a tool-less setup and does it absolutely require PID adjustments? And just for giggles, 32-bit encoders?

Thanks.

4. Collapse Details
    What lenses have folks used with the Gibbon and gh4? Seems like a good alternative to the others.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneinapond View Post
    Why the two weight capacity specifications? Is it a tool-less setup and does it absolutely require PID adjustments? And just for giggles, 32-bit encoders?

Thanks.
    I know people who have gone into the software and received about 5-10% better performance. I have never felt the need and have not tried force use of a camera/lens with it that was too heavy. As long as you know how to balance I believe you will be fine.

Mounting and balance are both tool-less.

As for weight, there is actually 3x settings. The light/medium settings uses less power, so you get longer battery life, which is pretty decent to begin with.
    I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

6. Collapse Details
    GH4 with 14mm & 20mm pancakes are no problem, can not recall if I used 12-35mm. Will need to test.
    I.

Illya Friedman
    Hot Rod Cameras

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Illya Friedman View Post
    Mounting and balance are both tool-less.
    Sounds very interesting. A test with the heavier 12-35 would be useful information.

Thanks for the replies

8. Collapse Details
    Bronze Member
    Thanks Illya. The Pilotfly 2 any good?

9. Collapse Details
    I have the Beholder DS1 and use it with the G7 w/12-35. It's a great gimbal, especially with the new firmware update and profiles from Beholder. They have new one with encoders coming out called the EC1: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/pre-order-beholder-ec1-encoder-camera-stabilizer/

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by smoke23 View Post
    I have the Beholder DS1 and use it with the G7 w/12-35. It's a great gimbal, especially with the new firmware update and profiles from Beholder. They have new one with encoders coming out called the EC1: http://www.cnchelicopter.com/pre-order-beholder-ec1-encoder-camera-stabilizer/
    I also have the Beholder DS1 and works fine with the GH4 and 12-35, and even with the 35-100 (although I never use it, it can hold it pretty decently). The DS1 has a maximum weight of 1,6 Kg.

@Smoke23, Where did you download the firmware updates? Any kind of complication installing it (total noob with this, btw). any improvment is always welcome, but if there is a slight change of messing things up I would way at least until wedding season is over ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast