1. Collapse Details
    Advantages and disadvantage between RAW and compressed video
    Trying to understand what are the pro and cons between shooting 2K 10 BIT RAW VS 2K 12 BIT 444 on a C500. After doing a test I really didn't much of a difference. Would the RAW produce less noise than the compressed video? When would one choose RAW over compressed video? Thanks!!

2. Collapse Details
    True RAW video captures all the information from the digital imaging sensor. All things being equal, the nature of compressed video means that some data is discarded. RAW video also has the advantage of much greater post-production latitude than any compressed video. So while you might not see much difference when directly viewing either of them, there would likely be noticeable difference further down the grading chain after grades and effects are added.

Jim
    Colorburst Video

3. Collapse Details
    From the specs it looks like the C500 outputs 10 bit C-log 444 RGB raw in 2k or 4K, not 12 bit linear. Raw fully preserves all the data for each pixel. Recording to a compressed intermediate like Prores does sacrifice some data and ultimate IQ potential. That may not be important depending on the purpose and delivery format of your finished product. If you are delivering for web streaming, delivery compression will obliterate any visible differences. If you are delivering a 2k or 4k DCI package for theatrical projection, the differences could be quite visible. Perfection is relative to purpose.
    You can test this with your recorder, but sometimes the raw file is actually smaller than a maximum quality RGB 4:4:4 Prores file since only the luminance channel value is recorded in a raw file rather than three independent color channels in a video encoded file.
    Last edited by Razz16mm; 07-05-2016 at 07:23 AM.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Razz16mm View Post
    Perfection is relative to purpose.
    truth...

i always ask for RAW, i can save a shot far better, quicker, cleaner with RAW

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Dermot View Post
    truth...

i always ask for RAW, i can save a shot far better, quicker, cleaner with RAW
    I love raw. Makes shooting so simple. Exposure, focus, composition, movement. Don't have to concentrate so much on tne camera,only what is happening in front of it. It is all I shoot these days.

6. Collapse Details
    Which RAW camera are you using that can change focus later?

7. Collapse Details
    I think he means that all he has to do is find a basic exposure, then focus, then set the composition and plan movement. He doesn't have to worry about all the other little settings in the menus because they can be dealt with in post.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

8. Collapse Details
    Oh, right, haha...makes more sense reading it again.

9. Collapse Details
    In practical terms a raw image will be easier to control in post, but it's not necessarily going to be higher quality once you're done. Changing your exposure, pulling back detail in highlights or shifting color temp are all situations that raw images shine. Beyond that it's not some magic solution to any and all problems.

In that situation with the C500 you're not going to see a huge difference in post.
    Colorist & Editor - Tempe, AZ. http://www.david-hildreth.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.