1. Collapse Details
    Grading with Photoshop
    I have been experimenting with using Photoshop for grading (and fixing) some rather ugly, older SD video. Making the video a smart-object and then applying the camera RAW filter yields some amazing results.

Has anyone else tried this? Do you have any additional hints or workflow suggestions?

Jim

2. Collapse Details
    The old way to do this was export the video as a series of TIFF files, then you can run a batch on those files once you get the batch built. PNG files might also be worth using.

3. Collapse Details
    You could download the free version of Davinci Resolve and do many of the same things, but in an app geared for video.

4. Collapse Details
    As a stills shooter, I started scanning film in 1998. I did all of my editing and digital output with Photoshop for many years. I use Lightroom now because of the database architecture, but most of the underlying functionality is the same as in Photoshop and Camera RAW/ Bridge .

Photoshop is a great tool that has immense capability! There are a number of excellent books on Photoshop for Photographers available. Peachpit Press and the Adobe Press web site usually have some pretty good book sales around holidays. I don't know if they will do it for Fathers Day? Otherwise watch around the 4th of July for 40% off or more, on hardcopy and digital books.

I used to do things like a "color pop" in an alternate color space back in PS3 or PS4, which was a pretty advanced technique. Now that same functionality is built into the "Clarity" slider.

There are also a number of advanced techniques using layers and blending modes, etc. Once I get my workflow established , I like to type up notes to help maintain a consistent workflow, and to document some of the more complex techniques. It is nice to have the physical books handy sometimes too as reference.

You really do need to read about each tool to get the most out if it. I have downloaded all of the PDF Help files to my local computer for Adobe Production Premium CS6. It is nice to have just the Adobe information local and available in another window when working. (I keep my editing computer off of the internet.)

There are a lot of great video tutorials available online though, usually linked from the Adobe help site.

I was testing RAW files from my Canon 5DIII a couple of weeks ago. It was a pleasure to be able to work with those in Camera RAW and Photoshop.

Good luck!