Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quick Reference Card: Quiet on Set... Sound Ready, Camera Ready... ACTION!
    Here’s my free quick reference card Quiet On Set!. You can download various sizes and file formats. It is optimal to be displayed on mobile devices. Templates are also provided so you can customize your own card. This procedure is referred to as “calling the roll“. The best thing about the Quiet On Set! card is that it provides a step-by-step procedure for the shooting sequence.

Download in many formats, so you can customize for your requirements (Creative Commons Licensed).

Read more...
    https://whatyougottoknow.com/2016/04/11/quiet-on-set/

I messed up on calling the roll on my short films many times, especially with audio not rolling.

It clearly states when to wait… until the camera or sound person is ready. Your film crew will experience a procedure which is smooth, methodical and never rushed. A smooth consistent work flow will vastly reduce the chances of something going wrong.

I don't think professionals will find this that useful, but for amateurs working with inexperienced crews, this may help a lot.

This card will fit easily into any camera or equipment case. It may be displayed in a plastic badge holder.
    You might want to hang the cards in convenient locations such as on a tripod or light stand for easy access. See the image gallery for the “wallet size” version.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

quietonsetimg_2661.jpg

quiet_on_set_screenshot.jpg

I use it as my iPhone lock screen - no faster way to refer to it.

iPhoneimg_2672.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-06-05 at 10.57.13 AM.jpg
    Last edited by mrmccormack; 06-07-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: typo
    - Rob McCormack
    Panasonic LX100, FZ1000 - ~ Panasonic GH1 - Casio High Speed Exilim EX-F1 ~ Zoom H4, H1, Tascam DR60. Roland R05, Sound Devices MixPre-D
    DIY rails, cranes & stabilizers
    ~ Davis Sanford Provista Airlift Tripod with FM18 Head
    iMac ,Final Cut Pro X

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    This is good - the advantage of having a checklist like this, especially when you're just starting out and don't have years of experience under your belt as yet, is that you are freed from the anxiety of "did I forget something", which is very taxing on the brain... you need as much mental energy to be devoted to the most important things, and so if you can automate or otherwise facilitate various tasks and leave more bandwidth and energy toward the important things, then this is a massive win.

So good on you for coming up with this, and especially providing the Word document to modify - this way anyone can make their own list for their own purpose, especially since we often work with equipment we've only used a few times and may not remember all the ins and outs and quirks of every piece of gear we have. Bravo!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    This is good -... Bravo!
    Hey thanks for comments OldCorpse.

I'm going to add "Lighting Ready" - near the top of my quick reference list (I've never seen or heard of that being part of "calling the roll").

A year ago, I was shooting a 3 hour shoot (without this checklist) on a 20 ft. green screen with 6 actors. One other person doing audio, I ran the camera and directed (2 man crew). My job was also to make sure all the lights were on (we kept some of them off due to heat) - and I forgot that twice, leaving the green screen poorly lit and footage barely usable . On a few of the shots the audio wasn't recorded. You see, on one of the two audio recorders was ready and levels set, but RECORD was not pressed. It seemed like we were "rushing", when we could have taken our time with a printed step-by-step check list.

Lesson Learned: even simple things belongs on a check list when you are starting out. ~Rob
    - Rob McCormack
    Panasonic LX100, FZ1000 - ~ Panasonic GH1 - Casio High Speed Exilim EX-F1 ~ Zoom H4, H1, Tascam DR60. Roland R05, Sound Devices MixPre-D
    iMac ,Final Cut Pro X

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    The reason to have a check list when you've got lots of years under your belt is complacency. When you just expect things to be going, and then they aren't is when the trouble starts. Anyone who gets annoyed at having to yell out that XYZ is rolling should probably go work another job.

5. Collapse Details
    I've been saying the same lines for a long time in this order:
    let's shoot - gets everyone focused
    standby - actors & director now focused
    waiting on me - literally getting the camera dept focused
    sound rolls - waiting for "speed" from the sound dept
    camera rolls - tells me I'm literally rolling
    marker please - 2ac marks the shot
    set - tells the director that we are set
    action please - calls action
    cut -
    reset back to 1 -
    repeat
    moving on

6. Collapse Details
    Thanks Christian, I added your lines to my article:
    https://whatyougottoknow.com/2016/04/11/quiet-on-set/
    - Rob McCormack
    iMac ,Final Cut Pro X

7. Collapse Details
    I've added a revision to this Quick Reference Card.
    - https://whatyougottoknow.com/quiet-on-set-revision-2/

- Summary: a few checks at top of card, and minor formatting things.

dHUy1oAm.jpg
    - Rob McCormack
    iMac ,Final Cut Pro X

8. Collapse Details
    Director of Photography
    With a less experienced crew, this many steps may help prevent someone from forgetting to do something.

Here's how it goes down on the sets I'm used to, more or less:

AD: (calls for quiet/settle). "Roll please" (echoed via walkie by PA's across and outside the set)
    [both camera and sound roll simultaneously. In the film days sound would roll first and achieve speed before the camera would roll, to save film]
    Mixer (or echoed by boom op): "Sound speeds"
    2nd AC: (calls out slate info, or sometimes the mixer has already done so), then "A mark" [if two cameras, A 2nd says "2 cameras; A mark" followed by B 2nd "B mark"
    Camera operator: [once they are ready] "Set" [if two cameras, "A set" then "B set"]
    AD: "Action"

Regardless of budget level/crew size, the modifications I'd suggest to your list would be eliminating the "Mark it" from the director (AD's) end, as the call of "speed" is the cue to hit the sticks. And calling "set" should come from the camera operator (allowing for the instances you suggested during "settling").
    Charles Papert

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks Charles...
    I added your comments / suggestions to
    https://whatyougottoknow.com/2016/04...-set/#more-116

Note:
    The card is a Microsoft Word document, and a Google Document, so anyone can make their own card to suit.

Rob
    - Rob McCormack
    iMac ,Final Cut Pro X

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesPapert View Post
    With a less experienced crew, this many steps may help prevent someone from forgetting to do something.

Here's how it goes down on the sets I'm used to, more or less:

AD: (calls for quiet/settle). "Roll please" (echoed via walkie by PA's across and outside the set)
    [both camera and sound roll simultaneously. In the film days sound would roll first and achieve speed before the camera would roll, to save film]
    Mixer (or echoed by boom op): "Sound speeds"
    2nd AC: (calls out slate info, or sometimes the mixer has already done so), then "A mark" [if two cameras, A 2nd says "2 cameras; A mark" followed by B 2nd "B mark"
    Camera operator: [once they are ready] "Set" [if two cameras, "A set" then "B set"]
    AD: "Action"

Regardless of budget level/crew size, the modifications I'd suggest to your list would be eliminating the "Mark it" from the director (AD's) end, as the call of "speed" is the cue to hit the sticks. And calling "set" should come from the camera operator (allowing for the instances you suggested during "settling").
    I note there is no call of 'camera rolling or camera speed'

Personally when I operate I like to say one of these, it might be specific to the FS7/'Display off' mode but I need/like to look at the camera tally light as there is no 'red blob' in monitor, and mentally confirm to myself with a spoken call (almost to myself) that the cam is actually rolling. Im sure there are other situations (external recorders. cameras on jibs, steadicam low mode) where actually noting the red rolling light on a device is of value.

Generally this check will put the operator off position and he/she will certainly need to call 'camera set' too once position is regained.

Also on occasion I add 'frame' or 'frame clear' for example when the 2nd is running/crawling out of the shot or maybe there are public passing in the back of shot.

To some extent 'frame' could be called by someone else but that assumes they are actually watching a monitor and are fully observant of boom, background etc, which, kindly, many directors may not be.

One could therefore need to say..
    camera rolling
    camera set
    frame

Charles. On a side note how do you deal with recomposing/focussing to get the board. For example your shot might open with an actor coming through the door and you will have attained headroom by them standing in a second position* but then can lose the headroom having gone for the board?? I do not like boards and look forward to them being consigned to history by reliable metadata

S

*where..
    first position is out of shot in next room
    second position is entrance to the room
    third is where they play their play
    Last edited by morgan_moore; 11-16-2016 at 02:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast