1. Collapse Details
    Start/stop when recording externally
    Hello friends,

So I've been shooting on the 200 with the ninja assassin. So far so good, but can I start/stop record on the recorder by using the camera's rec button? Is this possible? I've seen examples online where it's being done with other cameras. Thanks all!

2. Collapse Details
    Although I've never used an external reorder with my DVX200 yet, I've been looking into the Shogun Flame & Ninja Flame which has made me do a little reading. Earlier in a post Barry had mentioned this to someone. I'm not sure if this will help you or not.

"Turn on SDI REMOTE and HDMI TC OUTPUT. If you're recording to both internal and external, turn REMOTE REC LINK to ON; if you're only recording internally or only recording externally, leave that off. Page 108 of The DVX200 Book has all the relevant info."

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks mapper. I believe I found the issue. Not that it's really an issue. And please correct me if I'm wrong. Perhaps I should have mentioned in the original post that I am sending a 10 bit signal, and when sending a 10 bit signal, all internal recording functions are disabled, including the actual record button, which means remote rec link should turned off in this instance. The dvx200 can still start/stop an external recorder, just not with the record button. This function is controlled by the "auto rec" user button. I did use Barry's book to find this info, I just wanted to see if there was an option of using the camera's record button to control the recorder *while sending a 10 bit signal*. It's looking like a no.

4. Collapse Details
    And your suggestion did work when output was set to 8-bit

5. Collapse Details
    Your findings are correct. The red REC button works to start internal recordings; if you set REMOTE REC LINK then it can also trigger external recordings.

However, if there's no internal recording to be done, the REC button will not work. So to send a rec signal out for external-only recording, you need to use the AUTO REC user button.

6. Collapse Details
    Fantastic. I didn't know this. I've just got used to reaching for the screen! Thanks all.