Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    How many still using the HMC 150/151?
    Been a number of years since it came out. An "a" or "b" version never came like with the DVX100.
    Who's still using it and what for?

I have 3. Use them for events (performing arts, weddings, etc) mainly. Moved to S35 for most corporate work.

2. Collapse Details
    I used one again just last month - outdoor live event stuff - those things STILL do a fantastic job. Everything in focus. Everything sharp and colorful. Just pick it up, turn it on, and hit the red button.

Man, if that's the job...all the DSLR's and cameras like that are NOT the right tool.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

3. Collapse Details
    It depends. . .guarantee you folks are using the DSLRs and other large sensor cams for that kind of stuff (I might be one of them at some point soon). I would never have thought one would do weddings with those kinds of cameras but they absolutely do. Whatever makes you happy/pleases your clients. I am with you though. Is that pretty, shallow DOF worth potentially missing shots? Probably not.

4. Collapse Details
    Recently sold mine as we now have an AC161 thats replaced the HMC151, but it was a great workhorse camera for corporate events, weddings and other run & gun style jobs that don't have the luxury of time for lens changes or that need the OIS, I got a LOT of use from that camera.
    EVA1, AF101, AC161, GH4

5. Collapse Details
    The HMC150 still makes a great b cam to my AF100 which makes a great b cam to the GH4 which makes a great b cam to the DVX 200 which makes a great b cam to the Varicam LT which makes a pretty great lineup over the years. I only have the first two. I'm sure I missed a combo or three, some may even swap the b's to a's, but if you're fortunate enough to own any combo of your choosing, then I'd say you're do'n ok.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
    It depends. . .guarantee you folks are using the DSLRs and other large sensor cams for that kind of stuff (I might be one of them at some point soon). I would never have thought one would do weddings with those kinds of cameras but they absolutely do. Whatever makes you happy/pleases your clients. I am with you though. Is that pretty, shallow DOF worth potentially missing shots? Probably not.
    Shallow depth of field = pretty at a wedding?

Just looks blurry to me.
    AG-HMC150, HMC-40, Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c, Sony PCM D-50, JVC GR HD-1

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff9329 View Post
    Shallow depth of field = pretty at a wedding?

Just looks blurry to me.
    To me it depends. You can slightly blur a nice scenic background behind the bride and groom and it looks nice. You can still tell what the pretty background is whereas a super shallow DOF would just make it look like a big indiscernable blur.
    Sometimes it's better to blur things out but sometimes it looks more pretty to be able to see everything

8. Collapse Details
    Also, the HMC-150 is the last CCD camera that can be used to capture motion correctly. Think helicopter blades or soccer ball rolling.

At this point several years into CMOS, most people have forgotten what good motion video even looks like.
    AG-HMC150, HMC-40, Sony Vegas Pro 8.0c, Sony PCM D-50, JVC GR HD-1

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Yes you are correct. Another reason I like the HMC150

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff9329 View Post
    Also, the HMC-150 is the last CCD camera that can be used to capture motion correctly. Think helicopter blades or soccer ball rolling.

At this point several years into CMOS, most people have forgotten what good motion video even looks like.
    Had two HMC150 and an AC130 and held on the HMC150 just because of that argument, i shoot mostly live events at night and once in a while sports football matches, i cannot claim to be an expert, but all my HMC150 and the AC130 behave the same in football matches or music concert when it comes to motion, i have tried to see the difference but still nothing to pick on, maybe i have the wrong settings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast