1. Collapse Details
    Designing a Film, Suggestions?
    Hey folks, working towards my dream of creating an indie feature film, from script all the way up. I'm pretty well researched on copyright and what I can and can't do (if I don't want to be sued), so I'm using that to my advantage and getting really creative with how I create and show off things in the production design. For example, my film is a computer hacking/thriller/sci-fi type of film, but instead of the character carrying around a Lenovo S10 netbook, I've taken the netbook, some epoxy, some other materials, and resurfaced/weathered/beat it up and turned it into a unique creation. No logos, no readily identifying markings. Same for a bunch of old desktop computers. I'm also using some ancient programming languages to create a bunch of graphics and prompts and stuff. No school like the old school. Have a few situations though that I'd like to ask opinions on.

1) For my on screen graphics, I want to have the mc run a bunch of programs, out of a prompt type of thing. Would I get sued by Microsoft by having the prompt look like "C:\"? Or if the mc ran a program called "terror.exe," is Microsoft going to care if I use the extension ".exe"? I'd love to keep ".exe" instead of inventing my own extension, just for nostalgia's sake. Same thing goes for Windows. I plan on using some old Windows XP boxes, and plan on skinning Windows to make it look completely different with the exception that it will still have a start bar (Windows logo will be gone) and laid out in the same fashion with icons and a desktop. Is my customization enough? Or should I completely create a GUI from scratch? Again, trying to keep the early 90's look of things for nostalgia's sake.

2) What do you guys think of using a bible quote to open a film with? I want a real "wrath of god" kind of feel despite the film not being religious in nature (but very philosophical), or is that too campy and cliche? I was also planning to quote from the King James version, which I believe is public domain and is one of the only versions I would be allowed to freely quote. Does anyone know? Can confirm or deny?

2. Collapse Details
    1) Unless you somehow insult Microsoft or bring them into disrepute by association, I doubt greatly whether Microsoft would care in the slightest. But your geeky hacker probably wouldn’t condescend to use Microsoft operating systems anyway, and would instead have some self-modified version of UNIX/LINUX or something even more obscure. For a predominantly text-based operating system, replacing the look would be pretty easy.

2) yes, the KJ Bible translation is public domain.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by clang View Post
    1) Unless you somehow insult Microsoft or bring them into disrepute by association, I doubt greatly whether Microsoft would care in the slightest. But your geeky hacker probably wouldn’t condescend to use Microsoft operating systems anyway, and would instead have some self-modified version of UNIX/LINUX or something even more obscure. For a predominantly text-based operating system, replacing the look would be pretty easy.

2) yes, the KJ Bible translation is public domain.

Yup, pretty much confirming the things I thought as well.

I'm certainly leaning towards the "something even more obscure" since this is a very esoteric kind of film, but I also want to bring about a certain nostalgia (being a script kiddie and using IRC scripts and stuff for example). The best thing I know to compare it to is the treatment in "The Matrix" of hardware/software, you are given a very distinct visual impression, which doesn't break you out of your suspension of disbelief. You're not sitting there trying to decide if what you're seeing is actually real or feasible. "OH, well, the screen says 10 GIGABYTES, and in future Matrix world, they would already have YOTTABYTES so THERE."

4. Collapse Details
    I did all the art direction (built and designed an actual arcade game!) on my own retro-80s video-game short, so if you there's any way I can help message me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tJ0HQvssWg

5. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Design Media Consultants's Avatar
    Sounds like an interesting film. How far have you progressed?