Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details
    Chapelgrove Films
    I have never used or held an Airsoft gun, so I can't speak authoritatively about how it works. But I would assume that any action that causes the 'blowback' function to work would also expell air/gas out the barrel, even if no pellets were loaded into it. This, by itself, can be dangerous, especially if the gun is held close to someone's eye.

Even doing one take this way could be enough to blind or otherwise injure someone. Just my 2 cents.
    David W. Richardson
    Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
    Chapel Grove Films
    Celtic Cross Films
    Bliss Video Productions
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1400903/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

2. Collapse Details
    Two years ago I watched a 20-year old actor SCARE THE HELL out of us with his ACTING.
    He put a realistic PROP gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger. and POW! He triggered a blank with some device we couldn't see - like behind his back! But it was his ACTING that sold it! His head jerk and the way he collapsed.
    This was when they were pulling the focus! SCARED EVERYONE TO DEATH it was so convincing!
    And he did it again when we rolled.
    ...it was still even disturbing the second time.

Flash and SFX added in post but blood was a little splatter bag the guys rigged up on the back of his head - triggered and torn open with some kind of spring.... nothing explosive at all.

Wow.

It can be done if you have great talent!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

3. Collapse Details
    Often what isn't seen and left to the imagination can be more effective, like the shower scene in Psycho. I would cut from him putting the gu to his head to blood and body matter splattering a wall, with a some good sound effects. Don't make it too complicated

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    There are safe prop guns which can be "fired" in close proximity to an actor or stunt performer. In the church scene in "Kingsman", Colin Firth used a handgun which had slide action and shell ejection, but wasn't firing blanks. Muzzle flashes & sounds were obviously added in post. Some gas powered airsoft guns will give you slide action (blowback) even if no BBs are loaded, and can be placed close to skin. But if you haven't got an armorer, why not use a children's toy? That has got to be safe, no? : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK50bKNTDIE

5. Collapse Details
    pistool.jpg
    Tip from a friend, old B-movie (or was is C?) director.
    Paint water-gun black (as soon you did this it is illegal in the Netherlands and considered a real gun) fill with fake blood. Safest way, and with sound and smoke effect almost real. Price 2 dollar.
    Last edited by Publimix; 06-16-2016 at 07:45 AM.

6. Collapse Details
    Use a realistic replica, then do a blood splatter to the actor's face looking at the suicide. Everyone will know what happened. They just did that on last season's of How to Get Away With Murder.

7. Collapse Details
    Old thread but wanted to correct a few things. A friend of mine is an armorer for big budget films. They don't use plugged barrel blank guns. They use real guns that have been modified so they can't chamber live ammunition. He used to rant about low budget films and blank guns because the gas goes out the wrong place and you don't get a proper recoil so they don't look right. The proper workflow is that any working gun is never left in the possession of the actor when a take is not happening. Actors are generally not well versed in firearms and greatly under rate the lethalness of a "prop". Any gun that doesn't actually fire or is in the distance is a non firing replica.

But most of the above is not applicable to low budget films because you do not have a certified armorer and the crew to safely deal with guns that fire any sort of explosive round.

On a low budget film I would never use a gun that was capable of firing an explosive round. The biggest reason is safety, I'm not going to have the budget to have an real armorer and that is a deal breaker. But also it's more bother than it's worth. If you can't get usable muzzle flashes, proper kickback and a usable report then you are not getting anything for the trouble. Get props with the right weight and take a field trip to a firing range so the actors know what it feels like to fire a weapon and then have them act. You can get blowback action on non firing replicas that don't fire anything out the front. And you can get ones that do cartridge ejections. You could probably CG that but live is going to be easier and better.

For lots of low budget practical VFX I highly recommend "The Rebels Guid". It's dated equipment wise but the practical VFX are ageless.
    And do your sound, other than dialog, in post. Even in a big budget film where they are firing blanks a mile a minute, they are doing that for the actors benefit. NONE of that sound will be used in post. Post sound will separate the dialog from everything else and SFX editors will build all of those firing sequences. On set gun fire just never sounds right. For one thing your sound person is set up for dialog. Even if you have an FX recordist on set they are not going to get what you need because they can't be where they need to be and too much other stuff is making noise. I have worked on student shorts to multi hundred million dollar films and I have NEVER used a single gunshot sound recorded on set.

If for some reason you NEED to have something fire on set get a proper stage blank firing weapon from some place like WESTERN STAGE PROPS. But personally I would stick to non-firing replicas.
    Cheers
    SK

Scott Koue
    Web Page
    Noiz on Noise

ďIt ainít ignorance that causes all the troubles in this world, itís the things that people know that ainít soĒ

Edwin Howard Armstrong
    creator of modern radio

8. Collapse Details
    If you want to show the shot, use an armorer...if you can't afford that, I personally respond far more to, (as do many others)
    a gun brought up to under the chin or temple...cut to onlooker's horrified expression and the report goes off...and you stay with that person's reaction...much more powerful IMO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12