1. Collapse Details
    Cheapo focus controllers
    I'm looking at solutions for controlling both zoom and focus on my rails based 70-200 2.8 sports rig. Right now I have a nice manual follow focus but need some way to zoom as well while my hand is on the tripod handle. The zoom does not have to be as precise, so I was thinking of rigging up a focus whip to some sort of rotating motorcycle throttle type tripod handle grip might work as a sketchy experiment. A $900-$2000 electric motor rig is out of the question for the time being.

Other cheaper quality electronic units are available and I was wondering of anybody has any experience with these? I have seen a few favorable and unfavorable reviews but not much info on them. My main concerns are the speed/power of the motor and the variability of it, as a fast jerky on/off switch would not be useful at all but that 2 channel controller looks promising.

Any input is appreciated, and once again this is not a long term solution for a remote cinema focus pull...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DSLR-Lens-Co...3D360815775872

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Ch-Wire...3D172044609021

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._shoulder.html

2. Collapse Details
    For the cheap focus controller then you can select the any of motorized follow focus, remote follow focus or wireless follow focus.

3. Collapse Details
    It's been a few years since you posted this, any luck with the cheapie follow focus systems? I've got a GH5 paired with a Ronin M and would love to find an affordable follow focus option.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Brigham Fisher View Post
    It's been a few years since you posted this, any luck with the cheapie follow focus systems? I've got a GH5 paired with a Ronin M and would love to find an affordable follow focus option.
    Hey there, I never actually ended up getting anywhere or buying a cheap online one. I used two manual follow focus rigs, one for zoom ring and one for focus on either side and was able to use that for my sports needs.

I also made one for fun, (have since taken it apart) using a potentiometer (both slide and knob type worked), high torque RC servo motor, some rc servo gears, a broken follow focus rails mount and an arduino to control all of it. It was bulky and hard to index but a fun project for $50.
    Last edited by Scim; 02-06-2018 at 09:46 PM.