1. Collapse Details
    HPX250 Interlace issue - why does my footage look so bad
    Exclamation
    So ive really started to notice how all my videos that i export my 1080 60i (avcintra 100) have very noticeable interlace lines, so in my last video i deinterlaced every clip and it still seemed to look weird. I really have no idea what it is but I just feel like my hpx footage should look better, especially my slow-mos. If anyone has any tips or solutions please let me know.

Here's two reference vids

deinterlaced- https://vimeo.com/161524486

interlaced- https://vimeo.com/152833046

2. Collapse Details
    I own the HPX-250 for over 5 years now and sadly I'm in the similar situation as yours: Mediocre outdoor picture quality. It looks pretty good when indoor shooting at f/4 or larger. But outdoor scenes is a hit or miss, especially when the lighting is not fully sunny or well lit.

But the de-interlacing is odd indeed. What software did you use? When properly de-interlaced, it should not have that jagged edge on the slow mo. Mine is silky smooth. The downsize with this kind of processing is that if the cam orig footage is not clean (very little optical aberrations, high gain up) all of the noises and artifacts will get magnified in the de-interlaced output. I use After FX and it looked great. But the cost of very long processing time over other NLEs (FCP x & Prem CC).

Biggest deception is for Panasonic to market their prosumer HPX-250 with AVC-I 100 as a way to magically make the picture look great in all shooting situations (especially uncontrolled). The optics play a huge role in the final quality as well. I'm certainly not going to be fool in with their PX-270 and AVC-I 200 option. It's a waste of bandwidth (35 min/64 Gb card) when the lens can only really resolve at AVC-I 50 at most.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal5221 View Post
    So ive really started to notice how all my videos that i export my 1080 60i (avcintra 100) have very noticeable interlace lines, so in my last video i deinterlaced every clip and it still seemed to look weird. I really have no idea what it is but I just feel like my hpx footage should look better, especially my slow-mos. If anyone has any tips or solutions please let me know.

Here's two reference vids

deinterlaced- https://vimeo.com/161524486

interlaced- https://vimeo.com/152833046

3. Collapse Details
    I watched your Interlaced example first, and if I hit PAUSE when skier was moving, the paused image always showed ghosting/double image where there was motion. I expected that to go away when viewing the Deinterlaced image, but it's doing the same thing!

Any video that you post online should be Progressive, as computer monitors are Progressive by nature and don't deal well with interlaced clips.

I'd say there must be something off in your workflow along the way. How are you deinterlacing? I shoot 1080i and edit in a 1080i sequence in Premiere. When I export to Vimeo, I use a 1080p 29.97 preset and the deinterlacing takes place during the encode for the export - it's nothing I'm doing in the timeline. Your online clips, if 1080p, should not show the double images/ghosting like they are.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

4. Collapse Details
    I deinterlaced my footage by right clicking each clip and going to field options then deinterlace... that was the only solution i could find. Here are my sequence settings and my export settings snip 1.jpgsnip two.jpgsnip 3.PNGsnip 4.PNGsnip 5.jpg i think it may have something to do with the field order

5. Collapse Details
    So i do the same. Film 1080i and export to 1080p, but there must be something wrong in either my sequence settings or my export settings.... really need to figure this out.

6. Collapse Details
    Aight guys i think i found the problem. My field order was set on upper because thats what matched the source, so i switched it to progressive and it seemed to help. I reuploaded my last two videos with the progressive field order so check the link above that says deinterlaced and let me know if you think the field order is what was doing it / if my footage looks better. Thanks guys

-Cal