Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I know it was the previously posted film I watched (not the corrected one you were waiting to get online), but it was still great all the way around. REALLY well done. GREAT, GREAT SFX/FX, good story, acting, etc.

One of the highest marks I've given, tying it with just a few others.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

2. Collapse Details
    shed & texas fortune were my 2 favourites and got my highest ratings. i thought the idea for this piece was good and brilliantly executed. the camera work and composition were all though out well. and the 360 pan technique from gillock looked sweet. i also want to give complements to the make-up. the arm looks gross and just freeze at 3 min 47, doesn't that just look sick.

great job and i hope you'll end up in the top 2

3. Collapse Details
    Ditto Wesley's comments - this is in my top three. Really nice work! Well done!
    Insert your signature here >.... if you like ;-)

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdanstan
    Haha, Coffee you are the best. You always make me smile even when you aren't blowing smoke up my arse. Glad you enjoyed it. I think itís interesting to talk about how Katrina influenced the making of this film but as for "deserving" to win, I wouldn't want that to be a factor, just my film. I have to work a crappy job for a couple more weeks till I go back to New Orleans, but it looks like we have zero property damage (knock on wood), and no looting (from what we've been told thus far). We are also very comfortable in the garage apartment on my parents farm -- all in all I can't imagine anyone luckier than us in the whole Katrina thing -- so except for the forced vacation, crappy internet, and boring interem day job, we are sittiní pretty so no sympathy ratings needed for this filmaker -- but I appreciate the sentiment, that would be the cool underdog story. Glad you enjoyed it man.

I may not have steady work when I get back to Nola, so I'd be up to work on a project with you in NJ for a plane ticket and a cot.

It's all good my friend. I'm happy for you that, for the most part, things aren't as bad as most folks in New Orleans or Texas now. Still in all you have top vote by me. Everything was skillfully done and top notch! Now if only I can get that kind of quality! DOH! haha
    Dude, I'm taking you up on your offer, we're shooting a film together! Ever been to NJ or NYC? Get ready brother, if your serious then tell wifey that it's time to pack some bags!
    Twitter: jayscorsese

5. Collapse Details
    Oh completely forgot, until seeing Wesley's comments. LOVED the 360 pan, and would really like to hear how you did it!
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    I loved it! It looked great and the story was interesting. The acting was also top notch. The guy you picked was perfect for the part and really sold the story. I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

7. Collapse Details
    Hola!

Adding my vote to the pile for "outstanding work" here. This is an excellent example of what the DVX100 can do in capable hands. Things that I liked particularly:
    • Lighting & Coloring - The mood set by the color correction is outstanding. The excellent dynamic range suggests good lighting to start with!
    • Acting - Your male lead is quite good, very few nit-picks here and that's mostly with some occasionally unconvincing facial expressions that don't quite convey the horror of what's happening. Most of the time that's there, so its absence was more notable.
    • Audio! - Hooray! Someone else who took time to do some good audio work! Both location sound and post-production sound are very well done, and the score is one of the best I've heard.
    • Story - Excellent, and well rendered without much dialog even!

All in all one of the best pieces I've seen thus far. Impressive work: congratulations!
    Doug Bischoff
    Ceridwen Productions

8. Collapse Details
    This was in my top 5. It really looked good and had a great movie feel to it. I would perhaps like to have seen the mother and daughters faces but thats not a big issue. It had good acting and it was really great all around. Really nice work.
    Brian

9. Collapse Details
    Great storytelling! Your actor was perfectly cast! Top notch all the way around. Definately worth waiting for.

10. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by panther0271
    I thought I recognized the PK 360 degrees experiment #1 technique!

Anyway... this is my favorite movie thus far (1/2 downloaded). And if you don't win... I'll be surprised... really. There others that compare in production execution, but this one seemed... real. I was lost in the storytelling, the music, and the visuals... and after main character was shot... I cared. I think that fact separated this film from others in my opinion.

I have learned alot from this contest because of films like this... big fan here! I can't criticize anything. Execution, the look, acting, makeup fx... FIRST RATE. This one stays on my hard drive.

I'm just like you in that I have no formal training; I get my info from forums like this. Just starting out, shooting and writing for 'bout a year now. Wish I could give you the criticsm you are looking for but I'm amazed:
    OK here we go

1) What did you use for the bug after the mother and daughter walk away? What inspired that? I think it totally "finishes" that shot.
    That was actually a bug. The camera was macro focused on and the actors very close to the camera at the top of the shot (it's one shot as they walked away that was then chopped up in the editing). So the very near foregorund was in focus and less so the more away from the camera you moved. That bug just flew close to camera. I liked the way it buttoned the sequence and I knew I was using the roach later so I slowed it down so you could see it better and added the sound effect.

2) How did you do your fades? Plug in? Masks? Excuse my ignorance... I'm just starting out, remember.
    I use Graeme Nattress's "G Film" effects which I think are better in someways than Magic Bullet, one because they can be used in pieces as opposed to applying a whole suite of lens and post treatments and two because they are designed for mac so they render in a fraction of the time - an infinitessimal fraction - compared to MB. This took about an hour to render on my 1.67 Gig G4" laptop and would have take 8 -12 hours with MB ... at anyrate he makes transitions in addition to filters and I used G Blur alot which is a dissolve effect with blur. Other than that I used G Flash for the cut during the shotgun blast, and G Film dissolve elswehere, a plugin that lets you pic from different stock and emulsion technics to mimic various film like dissolves, I think, at anyrate its designed too look more like film dissolves rather than just cross fading images like the stock FCP dissolve.

3) I loved the Day for Night fade to regular shot footage. What settings did you use to create your day for night?
    Those two shots are filter free. I adjusted the color in camera for the day for night. I shot the three shots within about 15 minutes of each other, shooting dusk for dawn. The only thing I did besides adjustin the color in camera was close the iris until it looked dartk but I could still see some details and highlights.

4) Oh yeah... how are you framing for wide angle shots?
    Not sure exactly what you are asking. Withe the help of Barry's book I used the anamorphic adaptor for this one. I use a century anamorphic hood on the lcd wich unsqueezes the image. This gives you an unsqueezed true 16X9 image (not cropped) . I then also use these little LCD laminates you can get at EVS that have letterbox lines drawn on them, I use these as a framing guide for 2.35:1 (they would be a guide for 16X9 if you were shooting 4:3, but since you are shooting 16X9, you can use it for 2.35:1. I then letter box the 16X9 image to cinescope in FCP. Letterboxing in post so I can slide the image up and down and reframe.

5) I've been wanting to do some transitions like the shed fading into the book with the shed in the next scene... ala the first "Highlander" movie. How are you able to EXACTLY frame the shot on top of the other?
    Remember those little LCD laminates I mentioned? Well I shot the interior scene first. Then I rewound, played back (blasephemous I know) and I freeze framed on the little toy shed on the book shelf. I then traced the image on the LCD laminate with a marker. The next day I went out to shoot the night to day trans with the marked LCD laminate. I just positioned myself so that the angle and size of the real shed lined up as much as possible. I did a few takes from slightly different angles so I would have some choices and then played with the positioning both vertically within the letterboxed area and horizontally within the TV safe area.

6) The motion of zombie is great. Is it just the combination of a sudden speed up combined with the push that creates the jerky movement?
    Most of the zombie movement is sped up 150% to 250% (I think). I had heard that if you get an actor to move in slowmo and attempt to do it smoothly, then speed up the footage so that they appear to move at a more normal rate, then their awkward shifts in balance and seemingly impercetable cheats as their muscles give out while trying to do a long sustained move will appear as odd and jerky and unattural like the movement of the girl in the well in The Ring. Well we didn't have time to test and explore that fully so you get a more subtle version (better for this application I think). He was moving just a little slower than "normal speed", but thats where it comes from -- the basic idea is to speed up the average rate of an actor moving in slow motion so that it looks fairly normal, and then the quicker movements by the actor will look abnormal.

7) Are you doing you blurs in post?
    Nope. All of the the thing "A" fading into focus, or fading in and out of focus was done in camera. THing "A" fading to thing "B" however (transitions) were the G Film Blur transition. Sometimes bothe were used together. Also, sense I was using the Anamorphic adaptor, which won't focues closer than a certain macro point, I got a cool effect for some of the gore closeups because - as the Anamorphic places the horizontal and vertical planes at different focal points - parts of the gore would be blurred or distorted while a little noodle of flesh or small point would seem clearer, and this would shift as I moved the camera.

8) Ok... the money shot. Could you explain how you did the scene when you reveal the wires to the gun? Is this really one continuous shot?
    Yes it is one shot that took about a minute to film, and then was cranked to about what 7 - 15 seconds? That way I could go through ut smoothly and make sure I landed dead on on each element. I think I got the idea from "Broken" special features, where they did minute long dolly shot of a bullet's POV shooting into somone's head so that the movement was smooth as glass and then spead it up into a like 1 second shot. The only cuts in that sequence are 1) as I swing around the zombie to show the string, I go to freeze frame, which I extended in length on both ends so it cuts into the sequence before and after that actual frame would and then at the very end it cuts from the full shot of the shotgun to the closeup on the string which was a different setup.

Whew... sorry so many questions. Glad to see you are alright post Katrina. Just wanted to say you are an inspiration to me as I continue with my filmmaking.

Peace
    Thanks for making my day.
    I hope this has been helpful.
    Best,

Jack
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast