Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Now that I've got everything fixed on my Sony F65, I thought I'd try your v4.20 update file...seems to be going well so far. Fingers crossed!

IMG_0669.jpg
    --
    Ed Araquel - Photographer, SMPSP
    http://edaraquel.com
    Sony F65, 2 - A7RIII, A6500 and a mixed bag of Nikon, E mount, and PL mount lenses
    Instagram: @edaphotographer

2. Collapse Details
    There is a very interesting powerpoint on the Sony Pro Parts Site that is a complete guide for cleaning the filters. It has a very comprehensive guide on how to remove the rotary from the camera.

3. Collapse Details
    So great news for my F65. I have been deep searching Sony sites looking for F65 information. I found older V2.1 Firmware files and my camera took them! This is great because Sony told me the camera had different hardware that couldn't take the update. I believe they tried to go straight to 4.2 without installing 2.1 first and this was actually the cause of all my problems!

F65 boots great with V2.1 now, no SYS Card Error. I kind of knew it wasn't hardware problem. I am going to wait but I will eventually try to load newest firmware.

Now to replace the $800 Low Pass Filter Glass I broke...

4. Collapse Details
    I thought I saw that you were selling your F65 on eBay...that wasn’t you?
    --
    Sony F65, 2 - A7RIII, A6500 and a mixed bag of Nikon, E mount, and PL mount lenses

5. Collapse Details
    I lost the F65 Cleaning doc - I canít find it anywhere online anymore, do you have a link to that doc Yachacha? It would be greatly appreciated! I used it to replace the Mechanical shutter myself a couple of years ago, after having done my first Shutter replacement for nearly $12k through the Sony Service Center.... Long Story short itís close to that time to replace the shutter again... as Iím getting the rare though intermittent shutter white outs in various frames.....

Panavision France Removed all of their F65ís Mechanical Shutters due to the short life span of the Shutter, which later turned into them modding 8 F65ís into a smaller body form and dubbing them the F65 mini.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    The cleaning manual is on the Sony ServicesPlus site in the Software section when you search under model number F65. I can also send this to you directly if you PM me.

So, are you saying we should keep mechanical shutter usage to a minimum? I use it only when I don’t want any rolling shutter artifacts but then I’ve never tested how bad it is with the electronic shutter.
    Last edited by bitnaut; 02-09-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    --

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks, Bitnaut!

I managed to track it down thanks to your lead.

Regarding shutter usage and lifespan, it’s difficult to say, as I’ve only ever used the F65 with the Mechanical shutter running and lifespan has varied greatly from unit to unit. The engineers at the Sony service center had stated that there were a relatively high volume of shutter replacements on F65’s that had in excess of 500 hours logged on them. personally, I had experienced my first shutter fail at 236h, while on a feature shoot in the dead of winter, in Montana, Lolo National Forest(fortunately we had two bodies). The engineers at Sony claimed the failure was caused by the extreme temperature and altitude..... incidentally the second replacement came not while under extreme conditions but rather in an climate controlled studio environment at roughly 600h. Now on to the third shutter malfunction (complete with Shutter NG warning), this body which only has 487 hours logged on it, has not seen abuse nor rough climate of any sort and yet the mechanical shutter is calling it quits....

8. Collapse Details
    Oh oh...I’m at 1264h and my shutter hasn’t reported any errors yet. Fingers and eyes crossed that she holds up!
    --

9. Collapse Details
    It seems very possible to replace the motor which drives the shutter rather than replace the whole mechanism. Did you happen to keep the dead rotaries? I would be willing to take on this project. Perhaps we could figure out why they burn out in the first place.

Buyer backed out and I decided to spend more time trying to solve my issues. I also have a source for low pass filter for F65 and F35 for $99 if anyone else has scratched glass in their F35. My problem is time, I don't have time to play around with my F65 but I also felt foolish trying to sell camera when I thought it could be corrected.

I bought a SRR4 for $19 last week!??

I personally will never trust Sony Service Center with my F65 again, they bricked it by not following the very clear directions put out for upgrade. The mentality of repairs there is to replace the "big chunk" rather than take the time to solve issues.

Yes I went through all the files on Sony Site. F65RS/US seems to be the name of the F65 but I found it by searching for F65 and F65RS.
    Last edited by yachacha; 02-12-2019 at 09:58 PM.

10. Collapse Details
    That would be great if you could figure out how to fix broken mechanical shutters before mine goes.

I know what you mean by Sony Service Center service...they wanted to replace a whole circuit board for $1800 when all that was required was replacing a $120 microprocessor.
    --

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast