Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. Collapse Details
    I used Element 3D (in After Effects) to create this entire sci-fi/comedy short
    #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8
    Default
    Hi all!

    I just posted a new short film called 2084. I used Video Copilot's Element 3D to create the virtual environment (and robots). This was my first time working in 3D, so it took a bit longer than I would have liked... but I learned a lot! If you're curious how I animated the robots, I also posted a basic Element 3D rigging tutorial. And, just for good measure, I also posted a version of the film without any effects at all, so you can see the before (green screen) and after (Element 3D) for each shot. Links for all three videos are below.

    I'd love to know what you think!



    Short film: (https://vimeo.com/156679780)



    Rigging Tutorial: (https://vimeo.com/156681042)



    Green Screen Version: (https://vimeo.com/156679519)


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  2. Collapse Details
    #2
    Member Agafilm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Petaluma, CA
    Posts
    81
    Default
    Well done. It's too bad you don't have previous experience, it would be interesting to hear how this compares to using standard 3D workflows. How long do you think it took you to come up with this? And do you plan on doing more in the near future?


    Reply With Quote
     

  3. Collapse Details
    #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Agafilm View Post
    Well done. It's too bad you don't have previous experience, it would be interesting to hear how this compares to using standard 3D workflows. How long do you think it took you to come up with this? And do you plan on doing more in the near future?
    Thanks! I've done some flying titles in the past, but that's about it. I tried to learn Cinema 4D many years ago. I STILL have a headache from that. I wish I could get my head around that stuff. Element 3D make it pretty simple (limited, but simple). It took WAAAAAY to long. By the calendar, it was a year. But I only got to work on it here and there. In fact, there were 3 months in the middle where I didn't touch it at all. I'd love to do something like it again, especially since I learned so much along the way (and would do may things differently now).


    Reply With Quote
     

  4. Collapse Details
    #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    174
    Default
    Thanks for sharing. Great short and great education watching all the videos.
    Chris Bernard
    Dangerous Amateur
    Chicago, IL


    Reply With Quote
     

  5. Collapse Details
    #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisbernard View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Great short and great education watching all the videos.
    Thanks for the feedback! Glad you found the other vids useful!


    Reply With Quote
     

  6. Collapse Details
    #6
    Still "Senior Member" Gord.T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Belleville ON
    Posts
    3,964
    Default
    Yeah but I mean c'mon. 5 posts Junior member. And that's fine for introducing your video. But to be honest, with all of the other subsequent links looks like a promotion post only.
    I mean let's get real.
    Dvxuser is a community and while this post may get you some views on your video it will not garner you any respect as a member for future work i.m.o
    It is what it is. A cheap where-can-I-promote-my-video post.

    I have over 3K posts here. Three THOUSAND. Here's how dvvxuser works:

    SHARE and HELP.

    You have done neither. I understand the promo thing and this is not an attack on your post. I like the videos and what you've done here.
    Maybe in the future you can help the community in return by contributing help.
    Fair?

    -Beers. Cause that's what I do.
    Last edited by Gord.T; 04-01-2016 at 12:13 AM.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.


    0 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  7. Collapse Details
    #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8
    Default
    Hi Gord T. Sorry my post rubbed you the wrong way. I posted to share my work, gather feedback, and answer any questions regarding my workflows (in hopes of helping like-minded filmmakers). Along the same lines, I'm hoping for the chance to provide a live demo of my workflows at a user group here in LA (as I've enjoyed doing many times in the past). If you're in attendance, I hope you'll say hi.


    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  8. Collapse Details
    #8
    Senior Member legrevedotcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    1,639
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by Gord.T View Post
    Yeah but I mean c'mon. 5 posts Junior member. And that's fine for introducing your video. But to be honest, with all of the other subsequent links looks like a promotion post only.
    I mean let's get real.
    Dvxuser is a community and while this post may get you some views on your video it will not garner you any respect as a member for future work i.m.o
    It is what it is. A cheap where-can-I-promote-my-video post.

    I have over 3K posts here. Three THOUSAND. Here's how dvvxuser works:

    SHARE and HELP.

    You have done neither. I understand the promo thing and this is not an attack on your post. I like the videos and what you've done here.
    Maybe in the future you can help the community in return by contributing help.
    Fair?

    -Beers. Cause that's what I do.
    That was really an un-called for and inappropiate response Gord... now since you chose to bite and be so specific about your posts I'm gonna bite back.
    When looking through said posts, I can't help but notice how many of them are really just you talking to yourself in your own threads. Sure you have a few with some response, but you sure as hell have quite a lot more with no response and half finished products.

    Second... how can you not see the contribution of the OP pluggin his video? I'd rather see a finished product and ask questions about how this and that. I actually found the OPs finished film and bts interesting and inspiring. It shows what can be achieved with relatively small means.


    2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Reply With Quote
     

  9. Collapse Details
    #9
    Senior Member silyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    USA, Virginia
    Posts
    194
    Default
    I liked you film - very creative and a good use of E3D. Thanks for sharing.

    Trying to do the same - some tests for the upcoming sci-fi Time Fuze:
    https://vimeo.com/144817709
    you may notice that there are some problems (especially noticed in the second segment). Still, for the purposes of the test, I consider it successful.


    Reply With Quote
     

  10. Collapse Details
    #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    8
    Default
    Quote Originally Posted by legrevedotcom View Post
    I actually found the OPs finished film and bts interesting and inspiring. It shows what can be achieved with relatively small means.
    I'm very happy to hear you found the videos inspiring! That made my day (especially after the previous post). If there's anything you'd like to know about the workflow, please don't hesitate to ask.

    Quote Originally Posted by silyn View Post
    I liked you film - very creative and a good use of E3D. Thanks for sharing.

    Trying to do the same - some tests for the upcoming sci-fi Time Fuze:
    https://vimeo.com/144817709
    you may notice that there are some problems (especially noticed in the second segment). Still, for the purposes of the test, I consider it successful.
    Thanks very much for the kind words. Your tests turned out great! With a little finessing and color correction, I think it's going to look killer. What 3D app did you use to make the set? E3D? If you have any questions about the tools I used (that might help your project), just ask!

    Thought I'd share stills from my very first 2084 tests. I'm kinda horrified by that first one.



    Reply With Quote
     

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •