1. Collapse Details
    2016: HPX370 Best bang for the buck?
    We're looking for a Broadcast ENG camera for under under $6000(new or used) It's 2016...HPX370...still best bang for the buck or better alternatives at this price range? We're in pre-production for a restaurant/foodie genre show to be broadcast in San Francisco, Los Angeles and San Diego. Also use in a run gun news type situations. Prefer shoulder mount Broadcast ENG camera. Thank you for your feedback!

2. Collapse Details
    I'm a Panasonic guy for over a decade and for $6K, i rather get the Sony EX3 with 1/2" sensors vs 1/3" HPX-370. To me the overall colors rendition of scenics, people face, and details are much better with the Sony EX3. They're in the similar $6K price range. EX-3 is not a true shoulder mount cam. But it's quite impressive nevertheless. I find the HPX-370 is only good for well lit, heavily controlled lighting condition. Once you get into natural and unscripted lighting, it just doesn't perform well as w/ the EX3s. Unfortunately to get similar results in Panasonic realm, you'll have to jump up to their 2/3" HPX-3100 and PX-5000. Big price increase as well. PX-270? Hmm. For starter I'm not impressed. It's down to only 1 P2 and the lame Micro P2 with questionable media reliability. My Micro P2 card rec tab broken off with only 1.5 years of use. It's no different than SDHC. And it's still stuck with the cheap stock lens. No matter how good the camera is, the lens is the bottle neck and it certainly has failed to impress.

3. Collapse Details
    If you're going for an EX3, you might as well go for its replacement, the PMW300. It's a better camera and can be had for under $6,000. But like the EX3, it's not a true shoulder mount, and you'll be feeling it after a long shoot.
    I've shot with the EX3, PMW300 (I own one, actually) and the HPX370. A true shoulder mount like the 370 can never be beat for comfort. The 300 and 370 also have true broadcast codecs, with a minimum 50mbps, 4:2:2 color codec, although I'm not sure how important that is to your show.

For your budget, you might also consider the HPX500. it's an older camera that shoots in DVCPRO HD, but it's not bad for the price. But it is an older camera and codec.

There's also the Sony PMW320. It's a 1/2" sensor shoulder mount camera. Basically a true shoulder-mount EX3. The newer version, the PXW-X320, has an updated and stronger codec.But the PXW-X320 is going to be more than $6,000.

I'm selling my PMW300 and moving to the Sony FS5. Have you considered this camera? It's small, easy to hand hold and has a power zoom lens.

There's quite a few options for cameras in your budget range. Good luck with your production!

4. Collapse Details
    I have a PMW 300K1. I love it! I was going to sell it but have recently changed my mind. It is an excellent camera- World compatible with a wide selection of codecs, lightweight a having shot with PMW320 which many local stations I much prefer it. I have mine setup with a Shape baseplate/rods and shoulder pad. Its a great eng camera and I would encourage you to rent one and others and see what suits your needs. Feel free to msg me if you have specific questions.
    Brian Murphy
    Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto
    Sony PXW-Z150 -Sony A7iii
    Sony-28/135 Cine-Tokina 11/16-Sigma 70/200 Sigma 24/70, Nikon 55(1.2)
    Collection of CY lenses and vintage Nikons, Canons.
    2x DJI Osmo Plus -GoPro H5
    Teradek Vidiu kit-BM WebPresenter/Open Broadcaster & WireCast.

5. Collapse Details
    Throwing my 2 cents in.. if you are looking for an ENG camera that wont break the bank but will get the job done and then some.. look into the older varicam, model number AJ-HDC27H (make sure its H not the F). Get a AJA KiProMini and a nice HD lens you are good to go! Beautiful footage!
    Mike Krumlauf
    JSAV A/V Technician
    Denver Tech Center

GEAR
    Apple Macbook Pro 15-inch 2007
    Final Cut Studio 3