Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Tripod Warfare - Short Action Film

Hey guys! When I was growing up, I used to pretend my dad's tripod was a gun and have shootouts with imaginary bad guys. A few weeks ago, while looking through my equipment, I realized I had a bunch of tripods in various sizes. So a few days later I decided to make a short action film in which all the characters used tripods as guns. This short took 2 half days to film and about a week and a half of post production. Hope you guys enjoy! And as always, feedback would be greatly appreciated!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    My brain was a ping-pong ball between "this is amazing" and "this is terrible." So it's either amazingly terrible or terribly amazing, can't say for sure. But I laughed a lot.

3. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Oh man, I laughed so hard! I knew it was gonna be good when the guy breaks out the "communicator" from his little table top tripod. Also I must compliment you on the huge number of s*%tty tripods you have managed to accumulate - nothing better than having GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) on a really low budget... you end up with a mountain of cheap crappy useless gear that you nonetheless managed to spend a lot of money collecting!

On a more serious note. While this was a lot of fun, I would recommend thinking about the future. You have some talent - very fortunate for you - and the best bang for the buck would be for you to develop your talent further. You have good ideas - invest time and energy in writing. This will pay off way, way more than investing more in technical skills... this site is a good example of tons of people who have plenty of technical skills, but no creative talent, and the results are always pathetic. So concentrate on what is important - and you are lucky in that you show some good ability; keep playing to your strength. Note, that what made this work was not the technical skills, but the ideas. This effort was good, but obviously just a beginning - you will need to put in a lot more work to reach a level where you can start thinking of making a living off of it. To do that, you'll need to pick up your game by a couple of classes - so a lot of work ahead of you (should you choose to do it). Write, write, write. Best of luck!

4. Collapse Details
    Oh come on... like high powered tripod rounds can't go through drywall? HAHA, J/K?. This was fun for sure. I'm sure it was meant to be a little cheesy. I found myself wondering why you used tripods for guns. I thought "maybe they were concerned about brandishing guns or gun replicas in public, or maybe they couldn't afford replicas. Or maybe it was just written that way." Care to share? Enjoyed it. Keep up the good work.

On a side note, is OldCorpse a moderator around here or something? How does he get away with bad mouthing people with general statements or directly? Most of his posts seem to be negative or intentionally argumentative. Sometimes you need to take a break and and do some self-evaluation.
    Last edited by STYLZ; 03-03-2016 at 09:48 PM.

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    Cameron Sun!!!

This is AWESOME!

Funny as hell!

This is TOTALLY going to go viral through the photography and video/film communities!

Only comment - you could edit it even faster. Trim out as many frames as you can on either side of the edits. Tight, tight, tight! Fast, fast, fast!
    You could even try speeding it up by just like 1 or 2 percent, that's done very frequently with action stuff. It's not enough to make it look "sped up".
    Also the music could be LOUDER.

AHHHhahahahahahaa! The Shoulder Rig Rocket Launcher! PERFECT!!!!

The premise is great and the VFX are great!

I Love this piece!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

6. Collapse Details
    This was macho and cute at the same time...haha. Very fun! Keep it up!!

On a side note, I got in a little motorcycle accident almost in front of that building where you shot the end roof top scene. I was checking out the graffiti nostalgically.

7. Collapse Details
    On a side note, is OldCorpse a moderator around here or something? How does he get away with bad mouthing people with general statements or directly? Most of his posts seem to be negative or intentionally argumentative.
    If you want a cheap pat on the back, OldCorpse isn't the guy. He's not mean, just honest. He's also not shy with credit where it's due.

If my stuff is sh*t, I'll trust OldCorpse to tell me why. (E.g. wait til I drop a wedding video on you guys in a couple days.)
    Last edited by charliemcdanger; 03-03-2016 at 11:40 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    Rockin the Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by STYLZ View Post
    [...]On a side note, is OldCorpse a moderator around here or something? How does he get away with bad mouthing people with general statements or directly? Most of his posts seem to be negative or intentionally argumentative. Sometimes you need to take a break and and do some self-evaluation.
    Wha?? That's totally out of the blue and off the wall... whom did I badmouth?? Ever? Badmouthing implies intentionally spreading untruths in a mean, malcious or disloyal way. I can't think of a single person I've badmouthed. Especially bizarre accusation, as I strongly disapprove of personal attacks. In giving feedback - which incidentally I never give unsolicited - I may critique some aspect of the work, but never as a personal attack, or in a mean way. And in threads dealing with gear etc., I may disagree with someone in a back and forth discussion, but I cannot imagine badmouthing anyone. I express sincere opinions and tell the truth to the best of my understanding. I may be wrong in my opinions, but I'm never malicious. Wow. Talk about an accusation out of the blue.

9. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Cryogenic Filmworks's Avatar
    I enjoyed it so kudos to you.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
    50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCorpse View Post
    Oh man, I laughed so hard! I knew it was gonna be good when the guy breaks out the "communicator" from his little table top tripod. Also I must compliment you on the huge number of s*%tty tripods you have managed to accumulate - nothing better than having GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) on a really low budget... you end up with a mountain of cheap crappy useless gear that you nonetheless managed to spend a lot of money collecting!

On a more serious note. While this was a lot of fun, I would recommend thinking about the future. You have some talent - very fortunate for you - and the best bang for the buck would be for you to develop your talent further. You have good ideas - invest time and energy in writing. This will pay off way, way more than investing more in technical skills... this site is a good example of tons of people who have plenty of technical skills, but no creative talent, and the results are always pathetic. So concentrate on what is important - and you are lucky in that you show some good ability; keep playing to your strength. Note, that what made this work was not the technical skills, but the ideas. This effort was good, but obviously just a beginning - you will need to put in a lot more work to reach a level where you can start thinking of making a living off of it. To do that, you'll need to pick up your game by a couple of classes - so a lot of work ahead of you (should you choose to do it). Write, write, write. Best of luck!
    Thanks for the feedback OldCorpse! I definitely have a ton of room to grow and learn, and I'll definitely take your notes into consideration on my future projects. Btw, I actually only own 2 of those tripods, I borrowed the rest from friends, so I didn't actually spend that much money on this short.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast