Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What the hell is the deal? Why isn't there more discussion on this flick? I haven't heard any real buzz on it and so far it's got BY FAR the hottest chick in it... plus the blouse gets tore open (ha! you're downloading it NOW are you!) and it's at least as funny as the other flicks which are being pumped up for their humor... I can honestly say that at two points in this flick I clapped my hands while I was laughing so hard. (yes like a "learning disabled" child might when you hand him a puppy)

I would like to have seen more action and a little less dialog, but it didn't really matter since the entire flick was entertaining... which is my FIRST criteria. I don't care how great somebody's skills are if they can't keep my interest...

I also found it ironic that the girl is actually called "drop dead gorgeous"... there is NO doubt what cast member that was!

Anyway... are we not supposed to pump this one up because of the members involved or what? This is for CERTAIN at LEAST a top 10 on the list...
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

2. Collapse Details
    Someone mentioned that this had "big" feel and I totally agree. It looked like something I might see on daytime television. It seems as if the ADR being off a bit was on purpose so most of the time, it looked totally in-place and normal, then sometimes it was so off that it was a bit distracting. Overall, it was pretty funny and alot of the sound f/x were good. When they were eating, it was grossing me out, so that must mean it was pretty decent. The dialogue ran on sometimes, but the story was really origina and the chick was hot, so you had my attention from the get-go. Good job. Tim.

3. Collapse Details
    do you know the feeling when you think of yourself as a wannabe-filmmaker, trying to accomplish 500 things in a 5-minute-short, fail at 498 and then watch a simple approach of a few guys,who know what theyīre doing and have a little fun...

thatīs how i felt after watching your movie. it seems to be so easy,when you watch it...itīs highly entertaining, crafted very well and made me think,that i have to learn to focus on the real thing instead of trying to do the dusk-till-dawn-28-days-later-kill-(zombie)bill-land-of-the-dead-leone-style-with-no-budget-and/or-talent-thing.

i also think that after watching disjectaīs movies,but then i take my camera and keep watching these european ducks and trees and lakes,but they just donīt act as good as those lakewood birds...or maybe itīs just me...

back to the topic:
    everybody i showed it to loved it...it seems just fitting in every place,because i couldnīt think about anything like camerawork,lighting or story...and thatīs how a movie should work.
    good job

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by MattinSTL
    What the hell is the deal? Why isn't there more discussion on this flick? I haven't heard any real buzz on it and so far it's got BY FAR the hottest chick in it... plus the blouse gets tore open (ha! you're downloading it NOW are you!) and it's at least as funny as the other flicks which are being pumped up for their humor... I can honestly say that at two points in this flick I clapped my hands while I was laughing so hard. (yes like a "learning disabled" child might when you hand him a puppy)

I would like to have seen more action and a little less dialog, but it didn't really matter since the entire flick was entertaining... which is my FIRST criteria. I don't care how great somebody's skills are if they can't keep my interest...

I also found it ironic that the girl is actually called "drop dead gorgeous"... there is NO doubt what cast member that was!

Anyway... are we not supposed to pump this one up because of the members involved or what? This is for CERTAIN at LEAST a top 10 on the list...
    Matt,

Thanks for your kind words. A few comments on your post:

Yes, our lead female "non-zombie" was/is hot. I am actually auctioning off her telephone number with the proceeds going to the Save-The-Jarred-Bandwidth-Fund. All in spite of the fact that my DP originally wanted our hiker to wear a turtle neck sweater under her blouse. Go figure.

Less dialogue? Given that I originally wrote this as a radio play, I thought I was doing rather well ...

And the reason it appears that we haven't received much buzz is because Jarred has been deleting all the negative comments on the short. Given that most of those have dealt with our DP's shortcomings (rimshot), you can probably understand why.

Thanks again for your comments.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimothy
    Someone mentioned that this had "big" feel and I totally agree. It looked like something I might see on daytime television. It seems as if the ADR being off a bit was on purpose so most of the time, it looked totally in-place and normal, then sometimes it was so off that it was a bit distracting. Overall, it was pretty funny and alot of the sound f/x were good. When they were eating, it was grossing me out, so that must mean it was pretty decent. The dialogue ran on sometimes, but the story was really origina and the chick was hot, so you had my attention from the get-go. Good job. Tim.
    Tim,

Thank you for your comments. Actually, the entire concept was modelled on an episode of Maury Povich (albeit with a little less blood), so your perception about daytime TV is right on.

I think we did three takes on the ADR (we were too perfect the first two times). We did, however, use about eleven bunches of crisp celery. Let your mind wander ...

As for grossing you out with the eating, imagine a mixture of Spam, sliced ham, ju jubes and over-cooked lasagna all mixed up with special F/X powdered blood which, if you've ever used it, really smells foul (by the way, Thomas F/X in North Vancouver makes some AWESOME special f/x supplies). Then my lead zombies went nuts and were stuffing it all in their mouths - even after the camera shut down.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Cheers.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by janzie
    do you know the feeling when you think of yourself as a wannabe-filmmaker, trying to accomplish 500 things in a 5-minute-short, fail at 498 and then watch a simple approach of a few guys,who know what theyīre doing and have a little fun...

thatīs how i felt after watching your movie. it seems to be so easy,when you watch it...itīs highly entertaining, crafted very well and made me think,that i have to learn to focus on the real thing instead of trying to do the dusk-till-dawn-28-days-later-kill-(zombie)bill-land-of-the-dead-leone-style-with-no-budget-and/or-talent-thing.

i also think that after watching disjectaīs movies,but then i take my camera and keep watching these european ducks and trees and lakes,but they just donīt act as good as those lakewood birds...or maybe itīs just me...

back to the topic:
    everybody i showed it to loved it...it seems just fitting in every place,because i couldnīt think about anything like camerawork,lighting or story...and thatīs how a movie should work.
    good job
    Janzie,

Ok,Ok. Your kind words deserve at least a half sincere response.

The recipe was: (1) start with a good friend over a BBQ dinner with one or two Heinekens; (2) be open to anything; (3) write something with a beginning, middle and end - then throw it away, cut it down and rewrite it again; (4) for on-screen talent, use two professional actors, one lawyer and one awesome little girl who were willing to try anything; (5) find the best pro make-up person you can, and arrange the shooting schedule around her's; (6) strictly limit the shooting schedule so you HAVE to get each shot in no more than three takes (OK - maybe four) and move on; (7) find a great DP with an awesome attitude and the ability to pull the director to one side if he has his head up his ass; and (8) above all just have fun with it.

That's enough sincerity for now.

And where do people get off complaining about too much dialogue? Just look at my responses to the posts for Christ's sake! Now THOSE are wordy!

7. Collapse Details
    I've been involved in a couple local projects that each had extremely hot chicks in them... the last one had what might very well be the hottest chick I've ever seen in person.

If you guys can maintain this level of casting I may change my mind about the next contest being "sci-fi".

You'll be glad to know that you guys made my "suggested viewing" list for my crew... based not entirely on your casting, but at least seven and a half percent on your excellent production.

Honestly I really liked how they talked... I was laughing almost non-stop at their southern accent.

If it wasn't for the fact that you guys demonstrated such capability I never woulda' mentioned the dialog to action ratio... it's just that you accidentally proved you coulda' handled anything in the way of my wimsical demands.
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

8. Collapse Details
    I too wonder why the most complete films I watched(Fistful of Flesh,Uzraa and Red Meat) are not generating more buzz. I wonder if the fact that the filmmakers are new to the site has made everyone hesitant to heap praise upon these? Again good luck in the contest.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigmagic
    I too wonder why the most complete films I watched(Fistful of Flesh,Uzraa and Red Meat) are not generating more buzz. I wonder if the fact that the filmmakers are new to the site has made everyone hesitant to heap praise upon these? Again good luck in the contest.
    Nawww ...

Think of this. A Ferrari, a Chevrolet and a Yugo drive by. Which ones are you going to comment on?

Next time, however, the Chevy may drive over the Yugo as it t-bones the Ferrari. THEN we'll see who's talking about what.

BwaaHaaHaaHaaHaa.

10. Collapse Details
    I loved the lighting of the girl when she first comes face to face with the zombie, how did you pull that off? Gorgeous!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast