Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    RED_MEAT---Oppressor
    Yo everyone,
    hope you enjoy our little flick. Please give us any and all feed back.
    Thank you for viewing.
    ~Aram~
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

2. Collapse Details
    Oh man, how can no one be commenting on this film?!

This makes me mad. I was looking forward to your short ever since you told us about where you shot it at. Great location!

I loved your editing style. Completely different than everyone elses. The silent film, with the old color-processing look, glimpses of unfocused material and the frame skipping and flicker was so good. I want to know how you did all of that.

Although this wasn't a "horror flick" per se, I think you had a great aesthetic appeal that made it so great.
    The color in this film was vivd and I loved it.

Your score was really great, Who made it? The whole thing had an off-beat feel like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and I loved that a lot.

You should post more of your work man, I'm digging your style hardcore!

Great Job!
    The DVXuser formerly known as dj200423.

3. Collapse Details
    There were some great elements in your short. I thought your casting was great, mixing an urban cast into a retro stylish environment. Your script was pretty effective for a five minute venture, and I liked your cc choices etc... The one thing i thought may need a look at was the tone. There seemed to be some shifts in the short, that I thought lessened its impact. Maybe stick with one tone throughout?... Just a thought.
    Graphics, music, acting and directing were all good.

This was among my top picks, mainly because it was so freakin' original, I was entertained the whole short.

Cheers.

4. Collapse Details
    Hey guy, thanks a million! For a while there I thought I screwed up big time because no one was posting and after watching the few that i have watched I thought I took it the wrong direction. I'm loving watching these and all the different styles I just wish I had more time to sit and watch more of them in one sitting. I still have about 65 to watch.
    Thanks again for the compliments.

dj200423 - That score was by a group called sedan. They are old friends of the co-director Stephanie and she gave me the CD and said see if anything works here. I had to speed it up almost 200% and remix some of it to match the scenes but the creshendos and crash cymbals did it for me. It made my heart beat faster as I listened and knew this had to get this in. All the sound effects I added later which was a very big detail that I dabated back and forth about using. I crossed my fingers and left them in hoping it added to the effect. Sort of a modern style silent film. I made up a name for it but of course I cant remember it.
    Stephanie did all the casting for this and I think she did a great job too. Kudos to you Steph!
    She was the one that made this happen actually. I didnt have the time to get the people together and said if she could I would make it. She came through like a champ.

Dand G - explain tone to me please, I dont know what you mean but I would love to hear details. Thanks for the compliments!
    I am glad you guys enjoyed this.
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

5. Collapse Details
    My notes from when I watched this on Saturday: Ranks high, though not tops for me as it's not as cinematic & emotionally engaging. That said, it's a VERY unique style, with a fair story line & fun editing. Sound/music worked well for this piece.

Certainly entertaining, but didn't really pull me in as I could never really connect with & believe in it ... mostly due to the style/editing.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    Had lots of fun viewing this one. Title cards were hilarious, especially the "aaahhhh!" Terrific location and style - the bemused onlookers were a nice bonus.

I have to say that I wish you'd taken it even further - maybe to black & white with a vaudeville score. Right now it hovers in a strange mix of "not quite modern" and "not quite period." It's cool, don't get me wrong, but I was itching to lean more in one direction. That's just moi!

Beyond that, excellent work, it looked like a logistical nightmare so kudos for pulling it off.

7. Collapse Details
    Aram

Don't stress the repleis just yet; there are 79 films that need critiquing. My goal is to get to each of them (eventually). I really enjoyed your short. I applaud you for taking it into a different direction and thought this well cast; nice looking lasses on the beach. Is that Coney Island (Warriors... Come out to pllaaa-eeee-aaayyy)? Beaches in NYC look much different than in Carlsbad or Pacific Beach, CA

I thought this wonderfulyl colored and shot. How? The focus on Abby was beautiful and the coloring througout was great; again... How? Some of best CC Ive seen in awhile

The overall look I found very filmic (This is typical of what the DVX can do in the right hands)

I have two folders on my desktop for this fest; one for films I liked and one for films I just do not. Yours is sitting in the right one with 18 others. (NO serious)

This was definatley different than what I expected but in the end I was applauding. Your talent had fun with the material and it works in the end. Great job!

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppressor_LOB
    Dand G - explain tone to me please, I dont know what you mean but I would love to hear details. Thanks for the compliments!
    I am glad you guys enjoyed this.
    I watched your short again, just to refresh my memory. What I was picking up on was the balance of the tone in your short. IMO, you started out with - classic silent film horror + light comedy. About 3/4 of the way through, either through shot selection or special effects, your short shifted tone into more of a slapstick comedy type film, and lighter on horror.

This might due to be the effects and shots being less dramatic. It just seemed that the first 3/4's was tongue in cheek, and the rest was more Benny Hill.

Like I said, it was one of my favorites, so keep doin' what you do. I like your originality, and the energy of your short.

Cheers.

PS - Did you preview any of those era movies (Nosferatu etc...) before making your short?, because you used your titles and pace really well.

9. Collapse Details
    Ah I get it. You are right, I does kind of change like that but it wasnt intentional. Maybe because its a little faster at the end to get the zombies to the other side of the screen faster.
    The ride in the background also looked better when it was moving faster.

Nosferatu was exactly the movie I watched for reference. Steph was like watch this movie, its great.
    UrbanMouse.com

2013 Narrative Reel

10. Collapse Details
    Hey
    I wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoyed the film as well. It was entertaining and unique. It didnt feel like a zombie movie, it felt more like a commercial of some kind for having fun in the sun. I really liked all the effects though.
    brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast