Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    good work. the opening shots of industrial landscape are gorgeous. all throughout you have some great camera angles. you pulled off the newscast very well (Zatenburg is funny, but maybe out of place?). we like the look of your zombies and the details you threw in with them (the one trailing a piece of police-tape is great), but we did recognize the mask you mentioned and that was distracting. the white picket-fence in the establishing shot of the house made us smile (in a good way), and the through-the-blinds shot is interesting and well executed. the acting is stiff for some of the lines, but by no means all. we'd bet if you guys had had more time the house scene would have come together even better. your audio throughout the short is really nice on our system. two gripes: the golf club kill is a little weak as it is obvious no contact is being made (maybe a sack-full of clothes just out of frame if\when you shoot more) but the audio for it sells it pretty well. we had issues with the girl running out of energy at the end. she looks pretty fit, and for us it felt like a stereotype.
    you totally had us at the start (tight first couple mins.) but yeah, it looses steam towards the end.
    we think you should definately keep working with this and do something longer!
    -

"What's the matter, Dave? All we want to do is kill ya." - Officer Curtis Mooney's corpse - Killer Klowns From Outer Space

2. Collapse Details
    Hey
    Thanks for your positive comments. I too feel the scientist feels out of place. He was trying to do some wierd european accent for it. He is about 22 and gets mistaken for a 13 year old all the time. I just picked him because he kind of had this mad scientist kind of look. I think the house scene would have been better with time as well. I was splitting the night with another director who was making a zombie movie, not for this contest though so I had to rush. The golf club hitting a sack of clothes is a great idea. If I had planned this movie out I might have done something like that. I watched it over and over and saw that his swings were just going real smooth without any resistance at the bottom of the swing, but couldnt do anything in post.
    The girl running out of breath was kind of supposed to take place later after some more running but I dont know if that conveyed on the screen. It was also to show the lead guy being more of a hero and pushing her to go farther when she wanted to quit. With everyones encouragement I might just make this a little longer. Thanks for the comments.
    Brian

3. Collapse Details
    I had forgotten about your "mad scientist". I think the problem was with the way you introduced him. You had an uber-strong news network style reporter (which I believe was the best "Breaking News" insert in the competition, by the way). By contrast, the "scientist" expert looked like he had barely finished Algebra II in high school. I think you could reshoot with someone much older and authoritarian-like inter cut with the reporter.

Just a thought.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

4. Collapse Details
    Id feel terrible if I replaced the mad scientist guy. He was going to have me come on his radio show and promote myself and the movie for a local screening in october here in richmond.
    Brian

5. Collapse Details
    Brian - This was really shot well. Congrats on your achievement. I echo the earlier sentiments of story and how this could really be a much bigger project. It seems that you have the chops to complete said project as well. Keep showing us more.

6. Collapse Details
    Brian-
    The beginning is very good and gets me excited right away, because the shots are real BIG and the settings seem to set the stage for eventual mass Hysteria. The newscast was okay, although I thought the Title bar (or whatever it's called) That says the name (8-Tiffany Woods) made it look fake. The first zombie shown looks pretty damn good.

The professor Zattenberg really needed to be replaced, I understand your dilemma as he offered to help in a big way. He just looked way too young.

I really liked the zombies walking under the street lights, but then when the guy got in the car he pretty much let them eat him. The acting was pretty bad throughout IMO, as it was in most of the movies. When the three started walking through the streets I think you should have made the zombies a tad more aggressive, they seem to just let the characters peruse by, which wasn't the case for the guy in the car. Also, half of these street zombies look really good, while the others look more like they're dressed up for halloween.
    You do have some really nice establishing shots though, like the one of the red building. I liked that one alot.

The guy in the yellow's "kill scene" needed some work. He kinda lets the zombies encompass him. Then the golf club swings were very noticeably not hitting anything as it never stopped due to physical interference with a zombies cranium. Also the sound fx didn't pop until the last two swings...didn't get that. Then finally, the ending...There really wasn't one. Whether they escaped or not didn't really get answered.

Sorry if this sounds really harshed, this was one I was really looking forward to based on the opening and was disappointed by the time it came to the end. Of course there were alot of elements I liked and most of them had to do with individual shots that set up the scenes.

7. Collapse Details
    Most of the good points have already been made.

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned that I really liked was the dutch to med shot tilt. That was nice.

Overall: The story felt a bit rehashed, and the make up could have improved along with the acting, but it was a great first film.

Yellow #001

8. Collapse Details
    I have to say I agree with the last several posts. I REALLY liked the opening a lot. This was the first movie I saw and I got really excited as it started and less and less excited as it played out. I kept asking myself what happend to it?

Some good camera work throughout, but script and acting lessened it too much for me.

Great effort and I enjoyed it none the less! Nice work!

Robert

9. Collapse Details
    Hey
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. I love reading them.

Slimothy- I had a hard time figuring out how I wanted the zombies to behave. I have only watched parts of one of Romeros movies. It was the one where they ended up in the mall and were looking for supplies there. Anyway, some scenes they were running right through the mall and coming withing a foot or two from these zombies because they knew they were so slow moving that they wouldnt catch them. Other parts of the movies it seemed the zombies were a little faster when they were hungrier perhaps...
    So maybe I will say that my zombies move faster during the night and slower during the day.
    Thanks for the compliment on the intro, its my favorite part as well.
    The first few golf club swings where you dont hear any hits is supposed to be sort of a surreal slow motion part, which goes into normal speed when you hear the two hits at the end. Maybe it didnt come out right though.
    You werent harsh at all with your comments. Actually just being able to put together a good intro for it that made you interested is good progress for me.

TC- Thanks for noticing the tilt shot. I wanted to fit them all in without backing up so I just kind of tilted the camera and said, wow that looks good.
    The story was definitely nothing original and something I regret now. A mistake I wont make for the next contest. Yeah, some of the make up was done by different people so some of it looks better than others. Also some of the zombies showed up late so they got less make up.

Ought2bCommitted- "This was the first movie I saw and I got really excited as it started and less and less excited as it played out"
    That is hilarious. Im glad the intro tricked you into watching the rest. Seriously though more pre production next time. It probably shows but I spent the most time on the intro.

Whats really important to me is that some of you liked my camera work, that is mostly what I do and like doing. Im no story teller or story creator for that matter so just having good looking shots is a good start for me for making some good movies. thanks again for all your comments. I really enjoy seeing what you guys have to say.
    Brian

10. Collapse Details
    I think I saw this
    I couldn't find a link or anything to watch this, but I'm pretty sure I saw this at October's Project Res. It was a long time ago, but what I do remember was that one asian character's acting being really funny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast