Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Escape from Richmond- hectorxd
    Hey
    let me know what you guys think. This was my first real project or the first movie I put any effort into. Thanks for any comments or feedback
    Brian

2. Collapse Details
    Hector!

This was really good man! How'd you land that news studio? The lower third was the only thing that sort of set me back, but the rest of that, including the anchor were great!

The next sequence in the lab was a bit strange. haha I liked the sound delay from the satelite, What made you bluescreen it?

I loved your CC for all of these shots! Very cool. Pretty good makeup jobs as well!

Now to the house sequence. I thought the acting was a little rough, but I had an issue with that as well and you can't really change that. I loved the blinds shot though.

The next sequence was really cool though! The industrial setting, and barron area made it pretty creppy. Your rooftop shots were really good. Reminded me of stuff from the show '24'. I don't know why. I liked them a lot though.

Some of your shots were a little too long, with the zombies at least. I know you wanted to show your badass makeup jobs though. lol That would have been my motive.

It's a shame the short just ended. You should go with this! I could see this getting expanded into something bigger!

Anyway, great stuff man, keep it up!!
    The DVXuser formerly known as dj200423.

3. Collapse Details
    Brian,
    I thought it looked AWESOME cinematoghraphy wise. The concept was good too but it just wasn't a short in my opinion. There was still more to tell and it felt like something was missing due to that. I think you should continue it and make it a feature because it really can be a good zombie movie as you started it as. Keep up the good work!
    Twitter: jayscorsese

4. Collapse Details
    Hey
    Thanks for your comments guys. There was a final scene in the script but it didnt happen that day. I think I might try to shoot the last scene if I can get the "actors" interested again. They werent really actors, more like friends that we made do it. I havent worked with any real actors before so it will be fun when I do.
    The reporter at the beginning is a friend from Church that works as a reporter at the local ABC station so I told her what I wanted and I just went in and shot it one day with her. On a sunday when the station wasnt as busy. Yeah the title graphic for the reporter wasnt that great, I tried to mimic one of the graphics they had on their website, I should have watched some news to get something better but didnt think of it at the time.
    I greenscreened the scientist because I didnt have a location to do it and laziness took over basically. I went down to a local college and snapped a picture of a laboratory through the door window for a backdrop.
    The sound delay from the sattelite transmission is actually rendering problems I believe. I had something like 15 layers in vegas for the intro and I guess it was too much for it to handle, its wierd how it only messes his part up though. I like that angle to it. Every time my girlfriend watches it she just says, "His mouth isnt matching".
    The make up was more than I was expecting. The two girls just went crazy with all of it and it came out looking really good, although I wish they spent less time that day so I could spend more time shooting.

I really liked the rooftop shot as well.. it was something really different than my usual stuff.

I agree with the zombie shots running long. I kind of thought that during editing but I didnt want to cut anyone out of it or shorten them at all because they put up with make up and fake blood for no pay. I tried to find a happy medium..

Thanks coffee for your comments. I am not sure about what I will do with this movie. I will probably shoot the ending as planned but that is about it I think.. It was great to learn from and will probably just put my efforts into another movie. I like how you guys thought it could turn into something bigger though.. I was worried it would get lost with all the other typical people on the run from zombie movies...
    That reminds me I had a great idea or at least interesting idea for a short mid production on this one..
    It starts off with a couple of guys watching TV and they are talking about zombies taking over and the usual stuff. Than one guy says, "Hey Dvxuser.com is having a zombie contest, why dont we go make a movie with the zombies" Than it shows them making the movie and trying to get the zombies to cooperate for the shots.. the last minute of the movie would be the movie they shot.

I agree wholeheartedly that there was something missing with the story.. not enough pre production on this one. Its hard to write lines that sound natural.
    Thanks for the comments and keep them coming.. good or bad.
    Brian

5. Collapse Details
    These were just my notes after watching the film on Saturday: No real story - just cuts off. Some GREAT production value/camera/post at the beginning, but poor acting and the 2nd half really pulled it down. There were a couple times the makeup/FX were good, but many that it just seemed over the top compared to the rest of the zombies (like a mask, etc.). If I come up with anything more specific, I'll let you know.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah the mask was just kind of a joke. I never thought it looked realistic or anything just funny. It shows up in two scenes with two different people wearing it. They both wanted to help out but didnt want all the make up on. Thanks for your comments. I guess it looked better in my mind or perhaps made more sense.. I think I tried to put too much into 5 minutes... I was going to just flash at the end "To be continued" but I decided not to.
    Brian

7. Collapse Details
    Your scenes were shot very well, and your production value was high...
    However, even overlooking the abrupt ending, it seems to me that your narrative was off.

To quote from my notes, "seems like you were unsure."

I get the feeling that you choose one subchapter of a larger, more personal work.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

8. Collapse Details
    Hey
    Callaghanfilms: Thanks for your comments. When you say narrative was off what do you mean by that? Was the storyline off or did the dialogue just need some fixing?
    Did it seem like I was unsure about where to take the movie?
    I agree that it felt like part of a whole.

I am better at shooting than I am with storytelling so I need any help you can give. I would very much like to work with a scriptwriter next time or at least spend more time on the script.
    Thanks
    Brian

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Hectorxd
    Hey
    Callaghanfilms: Thanks for your comments. When you say narrative was off what do you mean by that? Was the storyline off or did the dialogue just need some fixing?
    Did it seem like I was unsure about where to take the movie?
    I agree that it felt like part of a whole.

I am better at shooting than I am with storytelling so I need any help you can give. I would very much like to work with a scriptwriter next time or at least spend more time on the script.
    Thanks
    Brian
    Brian,
    My interpretation was that you had a solid story that you "over-nurtured", if you will, into something much larger. I'm probably reading WAY to into this, but it seems to me you started to think outside of the perimeters of the contest...only to squeeze everything you liked about the "big picture" you were conceptualizing back into five minutes.

Damn, I hope that makes any sense at all.

-Chad

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

10. Collapse Details
    Yeah it sort of does. I feel like it should have been a longer moviem maybe 20 minutes or so. It does pack alot for a short and seems like it needs to explain or show more, especially an ending. Believe me everyone I wanted to shoot an ending it just didnt happen in time. Thanks again
    Brian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast