Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by toilet_bob
    I think the prime thing missing in your short is the sense of urgency.
    Thanks, toilet_bob! You are EXACTLY right! The next short I do is gonna have sooooooo much urgency in it, I swear!
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

2. Collapse Details
    I liked the visual style of this overall, but a few things bugged me. The first being this one----the security guard...how in god's name did he hear any commotion when he had to run down that long ass hallway and then through a locked glass door and into the elevator??? Super peepers I guess.

I loved the titles. Nicely done. I didn't like all the shots of the guard in the garage though. Repetitive and unnecessary.

Nice gore, but the fight choreography could have been better.

Really nicely shot. Great job!

Robert

3. Collapse Details
    nice work and clean/beautiful visually. loved the accentuated rubber glove noises followed by the extreme silence in the lab. the lack of music worked for us, although in a couple shots the sound effects needed to be there (i.e. the nurse walking to the elevator). we liked the drawn out dolly shots of the guard, but those shots made us think he had a greater role to play in the climax. it really bothers us that he is so ineffectual and does not pull the trigger (you could have had him miss if you really wanted the nurse to make the kill?). not sure why a zombie would rip open a shirt before digging in. when the nurse puts her hands up it is obvious she is doing it for the FX and not to protect herself. during the handheld back-view of the guard running there is a "fast-forward" cut to the same view with him in a different spot that needs a cut-away, but otherwise this sequence plays out well until he gets to the elevator. BIG bonus points for the head shot\splatter, although the cocking noise (more shotgun than pistol sounding and unneccesary) sticks out for us gun nerds. also the ricochet noise as the bullet passes through the zombie's head is a nice touch, but it made us wish for the tinkling of ejected brass.
    again, a visual treat, and enjoyable to watch (each time).
    -

"What's the matter, Dave? All we want to do is kill ya." - Officer Curtis Mooney's corpse - Killer Klowns From Outer Space

4. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Dude that simply looked great. Had a nice real feel to it. Biggest ding, music was nice when there was music, but could have used TONS more and some foleyed sound like on the close-ups of the feet ect. I also had some strobing – was that just do to compression.

Again – looked awesome and was really well done – I can’t wait to see this on the DVD.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

5. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    Ok now I've seen the DVD (no strobing, super smooth super clean, looked awesome).

From your BTS it seems like you mostly use natural light and that on camera light set up -- can you tell me about that?

Your shots look great and so well lit to mostly just be using that without anything else.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

6. Collapse Details
    jdanstan:

Well, those are HUGE compliments coming from a talented guy like you! Thank you! Did I read you right? You didn't see any strobing on the DVD in the beginning of my short? That's great!

About the lighting:

All the elevator, hallway, lobby, and parking garage stuff was lit by the ambient flourescent lights installed on the building. The "obie" light I used was a woefully uncorrected, $5 flourescent light I found at Home Depot. It was very, very blue-green. If you're thinking of buying an obie light, I would reccomend any of the standard on-board lights, perhaps with the Chimera diffuser (although your light level drops quite a bit with that thing):

Anton Bauer UltraLite 2 . . . . Cheap, gets the job done.
    Paglight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Expensive, but focusable (they also make a dimmer base).
    Paglight M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Smaller version of above.
    Frezzolini . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .Expensive, but dimmable.

Those LED lights look cool, but they're real expensive and you need to throw the CTO filter on it to shoot Tungsten.
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

7. Collapse Details
    Oh, I'm soooooooooooo happy that my BTS made it on the DVD!!! My girlfriend freaked when she saw herself eating a potato chip (she thought it made her look fat) and DEMANDED that I NOT publish the BTS on the DVD! THANKS JARRED!!!

8. Collapse Details
    HOLY POO POO!!! I just saw my BTS on the DVD and it's 4:3 STRETCHED!!! I shot the BTS 4:3 and since it's stretched on the DVD I LOOK REAL FAT! I'M NOT THAT FAT GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details
    MGS music - word up.
    C'est arrivé près de chez vous

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345