Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks arielman! Yep, depending on screen settings, the ending and several other shots are hard to see, which ultimately comes down to me not accurately putting this out there for the average monitor I suppose, though it's difficult to tell what the average viewing is going to look like, especially when you throw in the mix of CTR vs. LCD's, Mac vs. PC, etc.

Actually, the 2nd zombie rec'd a couple less than stellar comments, but I personally loved that interview as well. I was really wanting the guy to have this overly paranoid high strung aspect to him, but he had a vision in his head and couldn't really pull away from it ... so we ended up with a medicated Ozzy Ozborne feel for him.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

2. Collapse Details
    I have great appreciation for the obvious time & energy you put into this. You have a keen eye for details (ie the best in show newscast footage).

I simply loved your Guy Ritchie-type cutting.

As stated above, there was room for technical improvement...
    but this was really a tight little concept that (IMHO) you should consider throwing a larger budget at and shopping around.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

3. Collapse Details
    Norm, I finally got to watch your short tonight. Overall I really liked it. I scanned a couple of previous posts so I don't think I can add too much that hasn't already been said but the things I didn't like, before the things I did like:
    -the zombie dialogue sound. If they weren't in a band I wouldn't have had as much of a problem with it, but I found it hard to imagine how they'd sound as a band with those distorted voices! If that makes any sense to you! Maybe a bit too much on the voice work?
    -the mask/lighting on the reporter during the interview. I too didn't like the way this looked, but it seems neither did you so let's drop it!
    -the weirdest thing I had a problem with and its probably only me is the reporter and the girl in the beginning look similar and wearing similar colors. At first I was like, are they twins? I would have changed up the color of the tees at least for variety.

Anyway, I really liked the camera work, the blood with the cell at the end, the music and graphics during the interviews, and was really impressed with your news footage! NICE!!! Really nice job on that. And I liked the make up work.

Being a huge rock and metal fan I found myself wishing Ozzy or Gene Simmons would attack some of their interviewers...

Really nice job!

Robert

4. Collapse Details
    FUNNY! It WAS the same girl. The opening news cast was to simply establish that Zombies were an everyday part of life, AND that our lead actress was also an established news anchor!
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

5. Collapse Details
    No no, I knew she was on the TV too but the girl she was talking to with the baby... they weren't the same were they?

-R

6. Collapse Details
    Envision,
    A lot has been said previously in this thread, but I'll chime in anyway. I thought it was great. It was genuinely funny and it genuinely creeped me out. That's pretty difficult in 5 minutes. I liked the rack focus on the smoke. Was it supposed to be in-and-out like that or were you just trying to find your focus? Either way, I thought it was cool and added to the feel of the character.
    If I could change anything (besides the interview lighting...but you've kicked yourself enough already) I wouldn't have gone hand held in the beginning scene...just a stylistic choice. It kinda cheapened it a little bit, because to me it didn't seem like there was a reason for the particular shots you chose. It looked a little like a home movie and didn't fit in with the rest of the well selected, well shot scenes. My $.02.

BTW, Where can we see this band? I don't know about their music, but they look to be in better shape than the Rolling Stones. Great job.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Ought2bCommitted
    No no, I knew she was on the TV too but the girl she was talking to with the baby... they weren't the same were they?

-R
    Ah, I see! The woman (I'll have to tell her you said "girl", she'll love it) with the baby was my wife ... turning 35 next year!

Quote Originally Posted by belarussian2001
    I liked the rack focus on the smoke. Was it supposed to be in-and-out like that or were you just trying to find your focus?
    Thanks for noticing that ... I was hoping someone would. I actually couldn't get the smoke that thick in there without fear of choking everyone else out. So, there's actually NO smoke in the original clip, AND I keep steady focus on him the entire time. What I did to achieve that shot was use an Art Beats Clip (one of their Alien Atmospheres), turned it on it's side so the smoke was moving in the direction I wanted, then put is on a track as "screen" (I use Sony's Vegas). Then, I just used Gaussian Blur on both, and key framed them in & out of slight blurs, opposite of each other to look like I was doing a rack focus.

Quote Originally Posted by belarussian2001
    I wouldn't have gone hand held in the beginning scene...just a stylistic choice. It kinda cheapened it a little bit, because to me it didn't seem like there was a reason for the particular shots you chose. It looked a little like a home movie and didn't fit in with the rest of the well selected, well shot scenes. My $.02.
    I agree, the shot didn't look as well as I would have liked, but wanted/needed to follow her & didn't have a dolly, etc. In hindsight, I might have done it differently.

Thanks for the feedback folks.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

8. Collapse Details
    Ah, I see! The woman (I'll have to tell her you said "girl", she'll love it) with the baby was my wife ... turning 35 next year!

I thought "chick" might be unappropriate so I settled on "girl". Hope she enjoys the complement! She earned it. :-)

9. Collapse Details
    envision,
    thx for watching my flick, and writing a great review. It will help me alot. were you in the last contest? its been so long.. anyways, my review.

I think so far you got the most convincing news report out of everyone. It cool to see how everyone did the same thing in this contest, virus that turns people into zombie, new cast, slow moving, biting on the arm.. The interview with the zombie band was different. A different kind of humor for me, I still found it funny. Some of the shots look really good, nice lighting.Overall I enjoy it alot, no complaints.

10. Collapse Details
    I thought this was a good flick... better then most I'd say... upper-mid-pack. I'd say that if the competition wasn't so good this one would rank higher... I too enjoyed the opening news cast and the acting... plus the connection of the anchor woman in the real world. To be honest I also had a mental glitch with the two women... I definitely perceived them to be about the same age and with their similar dress I was at a loss as to their relationship. I thought maybe sisters or else this was an alternative lifestyle. I hope you can laugh with me on that one... 'cause the first time through that's what I really thought. I thought the acting between the anchor woman and cameraman could have been practiced a couple times and shortened up a bit. The "banter" there didn't flow as well as the dialog ahead of it and after it. I liked the flash editing to the action also... I've always thought that was an effective way to get someone's attention. You worked that in really well. I felt the zombies all did their parts well and the anchor was decent, but I agree that it was really dark (at least on my monitor) whereas the zombies seemed perfectly exposed. I understand the creative choice for darkness, but I mean it was REALLY dark.

All things considered I thought this one was executed fairly well and if I was going to offer any suggestion it would be a stronger light (perhaps through a cookie) on the girl during the interview... and I would have liked to see the zombies playing something or tuning up instruments... something to play with the rotting flesh or the musical tastes a zombie might have. A drummer could lose a hand or finger in a solo... or throngs of teenage girls clawing at the zombie and pulling an arm off. (picture the band struggling through a crowd where the crowd is like the encroaching zombies and they barely make it into the limousine as they notice that there's a girl outside the window jumping with joy at the arm-trophy that she just got)
    LIGHTING and SOUND AVAILABLE FOR DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OR ON DVD

LIGHTING for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel.................................................. ............................. SOUND for Film & Television DVD Excerpts Reel

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast