Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Envision
    Here are some grabs of before & after work with regards to post production:
    Thanks for including Before and After shots, it is nice to see and compare what went on.

My .02-

I loved the transition at the begining from the "live" news cast to the TV news cast, I thought that was well done. I also enjoyed the news cast in general, I thought that it was well done. (Although on my second viewing I noticed that the picture of the cell(?) is not straight on the top, it is a little crooked. The bottom is fine, it is just the top. - Not a big deal, as i did not catch it until my second viewing.)

I also enjoyed the makeup, great job! And I did not find the audio to be distracting when it came to the voices. But I did feel that the lower thirds IDing the band members went a little to quick, as I wasn't able to read the entire description the first time through.

I have to say that I did notice the transition from color to black and white. Not in a bad way, but I did catch that move away from color. I did not however catch the move from 16:9 to 2.35:1 - except for the last shot of the phone. (I'll have to watch it again and pay attention to it.) I think that the darkness of the interview portion helps to hide that transition, and not make it so noticable.

As for the lighting, I think that you did a fine job. Although I did not understand why the reporter was lit the way she was when watching the film. So in that respect it was a little distracting, as I was trying to figure out why she was "hiding". It makes more sense after your description/reasoning. Not to say that I don't like the look. I think that it was a great noir look, but when watching the film I couldn't figure out why she was lit that way...

One last comment - I love the concept of the B&W phone with the blood at the end, but I felt that the growing pool felt a little unnatural, like it was animated, or added in afterwards rather then an actual pool of blood growing. If it was done practically (you filmed an actual pool of water/blood), then it just might be the matte/keying that was done. Oh, and I loved the last crunch at the end too!

Overall, I would have to say that this is definately one of the top 2 or 3 films that I have seen so far. (I've watched 21) It was done well enough for me to enjoy watching it again, and I'll go back and watch it a third and forth time too ....

Great Job!
    MY NEW PROFILE: Ryan E. Walters

Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Director of Photography
    www.ryanewalters.com - HD Indi-Filmmaking Blog - myspace.com/ryanewalters
    Specializing in HD Digital Cinematography

2. Collapse Details
    I think I prefer the shot without the mask! The shape is distracting because it doesn't wrap around her face like light would. It's more like looking through some cutout holes.

Here's a way to brighten the shot (not sure how to do this in Vegas). I'd create a ovular mask around her head on a white solid, feather it like hell, and set the layer to OVERLAY. Animate the mask so it follows her head, if it moves. This will brighten just her face and call attention to it without being too obvious about it. Hope that makes sense from a technical standpoint.

Good work on that makeshift bluescreen!

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffdaddy
    Liked the overall concept, and the set up was well done, but I think it fell down with the audio (some Zombie dialogue was difficult to hear), and ditto Curugon's comment on the mask over the reporter. Think you could'a made the edit's tighter to improve the pace a bit more - I started to figit a bit. Good first effort though.
    Thanks for the feedback, Duffdaddy ... if you have any examples of where it could have been tightened up, I'd love to hear it ... as this is the first comment I've had about the editing.

Quote Originally Posted by waltind
    on my second viewing I noticed that the picture of the cell(?) is not straight on the top, it is a little crooked. The bottom is fine, it is just the top.
    Funny, this was actually on purpose, just to give it a style. But apparently most newscasts have the cell very straight & squared. Oops.

But I did feel that the lower thirds IDing the band members went a little to quick, as I wasn't able to read the entire description the first time through.
    Mmm, good point. I agree.

I felt that the growing pool felt a little unnatural, like it was animated, or added in afterwards rather then an actual pool of blood growing. If it was done practically (you filmed an actual pool of water/blood), then it just might be the matte/keying that was done.
    You're right in that it looked unnatural. I had to speed it up about 300-400% so it could fill the frame quickly enough. I was wanting this to be one of my best shots, but should have planned it better (i.e. have someone help, etc.). If you notice in the picture the concrete actually slopes SLIGHTLY to the left ... as in, down hill. I didn't notice this until after I had started pooring the corn syrup. The stuff was thicker than I anticipated, so it didn't want to flow very quickly, and it especially didn't want to flow up hill which is where I needed it in the shot. So the only way I even got as much as I did in there was to poor the entire 1/4 - 1/2 gallon or so JUST out of frame, and then manually BLEW as hard as I could to try & get some into the shot, so you'll notice the phone move slightly too from me blowing so hard. Again, I tried doing everything myself, since it was 2:00 AM in the morning & just me & the actress. Since the timing was all whacked out, and I had to make the whole process happen within that few seconds, I had about 4-5 video layers of that clip, each one with its own mask so certain elements would show, others wouldn't, etc.

So you're dead on about it not being natural, and there's the behind the scenes scoop.

Oh, and I loved the last crunch at the end too!

Overall, I would have to say that this is definately one of the top 2 or 3 films that I have seen so far. (I've watched 21) It was done well enough for me to enjoy watching it again, and I'll go back and watch it a third and forth time too ....

Great Job!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Curugon
    I think I prefer the shot without the mask! The shape is distracting because it doesn't wrap around her face like light would. It's more like looking through some cutout holes.

Here's a way to brighten the shot (not sure how to do this in Vegas). I'd create a ovular mask around her head on a white solid, feather it like hell, and set the layer to OVERLAY. Animate the mask so it follows her head, if it moves. This will brighten just her face and call attention to it without being too obvious about it. Hope that makes sense from a technical standpoint.
    Well it's the thought that counts, right? I THOUGHT the mask would have looked better!

I know what you're talking about with the overlay, and I'll have to test that out just for future reference. Thanks for the tip! With a LOT more work & keyframing, I'm confident I could have made that mask look more realistic by curving it around her face some ... I just didn't have the time by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Curugon
    Good work on that makeshift bluescreen!
    That was my first blue/green screen ... glad it worked out as well as it did. It was actually quite dirty because I couldn't light it as well as I wanted, so again with bezier mask in Vegas, I had to do a lot of cleaning, feathering, etc.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

4. Collapse Details
    wow! i've been trying to get ahold of use of an actual local news anchor station for a mockumentary i'm working on, but seeing your chroma work here is an inspiration. great idea!

overall, i thought your news scene was very impressive and a good way to capture audience attention from the get-go. i was a little jolted by the jump from news to dialogue at home to interview--the transitions between narrative styles were a little harsh. however, i enjoyed the makeup and the concept that zombies have some free will whether or not to kill people. the vision of the world where humans and the "undead" co-exist was well-played out. the ending seemed a little sudden, but it's understandable with the time restraint.

5. Collapse Details
    Hey
    What I liked most about this film was how well you chroma keyed the reporter. It looked really good and gives me hope that I can do some good green stuff with this camera after all. Nice shots in here
    Brian

6. Collapse Details
    because you actually pm'ed me i'll go trough it scene by scene and i'll sound like a nit-picker

the news broadcast looks sweet to me, it would have been even better if you had inserted some full screen news footage on the tv instead of just in the little box. I didn't really like the title coming trough the screen, something simpler would have been enough.

the quick crossfade to the face looks a bit odd i think the crossfade isn't necessary.

in the interview with the zombie I agree that he is hard to understand.

i think the biggest flaw are the first 2 zombie interviews cause they weren't really interesting and didn't add much.

hahah the third zombie is cool, the scare was effective. fourth interview was cool too, I like the music and the shots chosen.

overall i thought it was a good concept that was succesfully executed. good work!

much luck in the competition. i think i gave this a 7

7. Collapse Details
    A SEVEN?? That's IT?? Why you ....

Kidding. Thanks for the detailed comments, Wesley! I find it interesting that you liked the 4th zombie better than the 2nd. I was actually the 4th zombie, and of course everyone's their own worst critique (usually at least), and I thought the 2nd Zombie (Aaron Graves) was a fun one with his smoking addiction, the faster cuts, etc.

That said though, I'll take the compliment & shut up.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

8. Collapse Details
    Different sort of twist on the zombie theme.

2 fundamental problems held this movie back: There were times whe I couldn't understand the zombies, and there were times that I couldn't see what was going on because it was too dark. The more I watched it (which has been a few times) the more I was able to understand what they were saying. But it took at least 2 views.

It was a good idea though. I really liked the whole "AA for Zombies" aspect.

The news reporter stuff in the begining looked really good. The actress was good news reporter, and the layout of the news program was really good. I liked the idea of her watching herself.

I liked the make up alot, some of the best I've seen in this contest.

I definitely liked the variety of characters, none of them had the same personality. A huge plus.

UNFORTUNATELY- I saw the twist ending coming a mile away. Perhaps I'm just super perceptive.

Overall: Good idea, some more light and less effects on the voices would have helped tremendously. I dug it.

Yellow #001

9. Collapse Details
    Thanks for the feedback, TC! Agreed with it all, especially about the make up being among the best. No, seriously though, I appreciate you saying you couldn't understand all the zombies were saying the 1st time through ... something that's IMPOSSIBLE for me to judge as when I'm watching it, I know what they're going to say before they even say it.

Definately more light. In the future, if I can't get the exact lighting I want, I think I'll shoot flat, then darken as needed in post, because I've learned it's a ton easier & cleaner to darken in post than it is to brighten.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

10. Collapse Details
    Envision ..Nice twist on the Heavy Metal (?) band interview . As with the others the 2nd Zombie was perfect !!.
    Not sure if it is my screen or not but I found the ending hard to see . that's you in the end ? .Nice . I wonder how many others included themselves in their flicks ? .
    The deep voices were a nice touch as well . All in all I enjoyed this one .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast