Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Death March - Envision
    Now that judging is over, feel free to view the short from the following links ... file sizes are large, so I'd suggest right clicking and "save target as":

www.eefilm.com/shorts/deathmarch/deathmarch.wmv
    (extended with titles, longer credits, and larger screensize)

www.eefilm.com/shorts/deathmarch/deathmarch.mov

Log Line: A veteran news anchor interviews a zombie rock band that is on a
    12-step program to avoid eating
    human flesh, and marches towards the inevitable as she interacts with each zombie's distinct personality.

I'd love your critiques on this, ESPECIALLY the ugly ones. This has been an insane learning experience for me,
    being my first actual planned project from start to finish.

Two things that were so subtle, I don't think anyone will notice ... over the course of the 5 minute film, the
    following two things happen:

1. Gradually goes from full color to black & white
    2. The screen ratio gradually moves from 16x9 to 2.35:1
    Screen Shots

Would love to hear if you enjoyed it or not, and especially want to hear if you didn't and what could have been improved.

Thanks for your time!
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

2. Collapse Details
    That news cast looked really top notch! Isn't that funny we both started ous w/ that similar style. Good job on that. I haven't really jumped for too many of the films, I def jumped on the part during the interview when she's interviewing Aaron Graves and theres that loud cut shot of the scream/growl. Also when Darren hearse reveals his "temper", lol. Good one! It's rare to jump at all, so you getting me a few times is damn good. The journalist giving the interview is awfully dark, is that on purpose (like maybe to show that she isn't totally comfortable showing herself too much to the undead?) The story was totally original, although I tend to lean more towards the action, eating, screaming shooting type, you made it flow well w/out all that. Also, the make up was very decent, who did it? Acting was so/so which is to be expected on most of these films. Overall it was pretty good and I think it's in the top 5 or 6, and I've seen about 40 of them so far. Good use of the music, punched in at the right moment. Also, I'm glad the chick ended up dying. Something about everything going wrong in zombie movies that I like. The first guys voice was a bit distracting as it was a bit TOO deep IMO. The others were good though. Also some of the scenes were a bit too dark, like when the guy is talking about how he fell of the wagon. Hope this helps, good on Norm!

3. Collapse Details
    We did the makeup ourselves in my bathroom prior to shooting ... about 1 1/2 hours for us all to get done. Just used OTC stuff from Party City (Woochie brand, etc.). Around $70+ in make up total.

The reporter was supposed to be lit less than the zombies, as she wasn't supposed to be "on camera" during the interview, but I discovered in post that she was WAY too dark. To try & make the best of it, I tried to create a noir lighting look by masking all of her out except her eyes, mouth, etc. with bezier mask in Vegas ... hoping to draw attention to her eyes, and make the lighting look more purposeful. Bottom line, fix my production screw up.

Yeah, acting was stiff, but I was glad to work with her as my lead (our first baby sitter while she was still a teenager), as any professional actress probably would have walked once they saw this was my first time & they were doing it for free. Then again, I can't say too much about my acting either (the last zombie that actually takes her out).

I've noticed the scenes overall look a little too dark on my laptop, but then look pretty good on the LCD monitor of my editing station ... to fix it, I had to mess with my gamma/brightness/contrast on the laptop, though I can't expect others to do that as well.

Thanks for the feedback, Tim, and even more for letting me use your song for that last part of the film!
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

4. Collapse Details
    Hey, this one was pretty good...an interesting take on the "undead" genre. I agree that some of the acting was stiff, but not unbearably so. I also thought the anchorwoman during the interview was pretty dark, but after reading your explanation it makes more sense.

I liked that the audio was very clear and didn't sound hollow or echo-y...good job with the sound design/ADR. Also, the makeup appeared very well done ... especially considering you got your supplies from a local party store.

You had a couple "made me jump" spots and I agree with Slimothy about the way the story ends, very fitting considering the material.

Good Job.

5. Collapse Details
    Loved the concept, wanted to see it expanded even more! I could imagine a whole "Spinal Tap" style film with a zombie band, trying to simultaneously conceal the fact they're undead and refrain from eating their fans. Hilarious!

I wasn't crazy about the mask on the reporter, it called attention to itself more than her. The vocal effects of the band members was interesting, but also a bit distracting.

I liked seeing the backstory before the interview, it made me care about the reporter by the time it came for her demise. The cutaways to the band members and their various exploits was funny, especially the dude still holding a cigarette (instantly identifying him). Good narrative techniques! Nice work man.

Note: the preceding post contained spoilers and should not have been read by anyone who hasn't seen the film.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Curugon
    I wasn't crazy about the mask on the reporter, it called attention to itself more than her. The vocal effects of the band members was interesting, but also a bit distracting.
    Curugon, did you see this post prior to watching the film? Just curious how the wmv looked on a Mac (I think you're on Mac, aren't you?), as everyone I had view this prior to submitting it thought it was actually lit that way, and couldn't tell it was a mask ... then again, none of them were industry folk either, so probably didn't know what to look for.

I'm not sure at what point it's appropriate, but I'd love to show a screengrab of the before & after to see if you liked the shot better with the mask or to have left it natural, which was the entire shot poorly lit.
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

7. Collapse Details
    I only figured it was a mask because the size and shape would change too often. Sometimes the "bars" of light would be larger, sometimes smaller. Besides that, the execution was very good.

Sure, post a screengrab! I'd love to see the before.

8. Collapse Details
    Shoot! If they got larger/smaller, it must have been when I ended up having her tighter in frame at different times with the different interviews ... never noticed the size difference before ... I'll have to watch for it.

Here are some grabs of before & after work with regards to post production:

............Shot of office w/cheap felt from Walmart............................... Final composited shot, chroma'd, cleaned & edited in Vegas
    ........ ................................
    .....................Poorly lit scene of interview.........................................Attention brought to eyes/mouth, etc. through use of masks
    ............Production shot of final cell phone scene........................................Final composited & cc'd shot of cell phone scene
    Norm Sanders

*click titles to view*

9. Collapse Details
    Liked the overall concept, and the set up was well done, but I think it fell down with the audio (some Zombie dialogue was difficult to hear), and ditto Curugon's comment on the mask over the reporter. Think you could'a made the edit's tighter to improve the pace a bit more - I started to figit a bit. Good first effort though.
    Insert your signature here >.... if you like ;-)

10. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Curugon
    Note: the preceding post contained spoilers and should not have been read by anyone who hasn't seen the film.
    LOL!

I love how you posted that disclaimer AFTER your comments.
    (Didn't spoil anything for me, as I had already seen the film.)
    MY NEW PROFILE: Ryan E. Walters

Cheers,
    Ryan E. Walters
    Director of Photography
    www.ryanewalters.com - HD Indi-Filmmaking Blog - myspace.com/ryanewalters
    Specializing in HD Digital Cinematography

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast