1. Collapse Details
    PX270 Live Streaming with the Asus USB-N53
    Hello,

I am wanting to live stream from my PX270 but am a little unclear how it is all going to work. So I thought I would layout my scenario and see if any knowledgeable members might be able to offer some insight.

O.k., say I want to stream a football game. I have a PX270 and an Asus USB-N53. My guess is to also need to have a 4G phone from which I will setup a WIFI hotspot. - Correct?

Now that I have a signal coming from the camera to the internet, what would be the next step? Would I use the phone to direct the signal to a web address to display the video like a web page or YouTube?

Seems like a lot for a phone to handle.

Is there a better way to steam from a remote location?

Thanks for your help!

2. Collapse Details
    Concert Window has a service
    https://www.concertwindow.com/.

We looked into it a year or so ago with a view to live streaming music/stage events. We needed them to be able to collect subscriptions, keep a certain percentage and have Concert Window remit to us the balance with blackout locally so there would be no competition at the concert hall. It seemed they could not do that at the time but things may have changed.

Usttream is another possible vendor
    http://techcrunch.com/2009/12/09/iph...aming-ustream/

The usual connection method I would go for is a livestream broadcaster on the cam linking a PC that is connected to the Internet. This might be possible at a football stadium.

http://livestream.com/broadcaster

I have a stage event in May I would like to live stream. I will stay tuned.

3. Collapse Details
    Thanks for your input. Not a lot of info about how the sausage is made out there. I have been talking with Panasonic techs and they can't seem to let me know how the whole thing works from end to end. Just that there is this dongle thingy and it plugs into the camera and it needs an internet connection.

I have the problem of filming in places where hard wired internet is not an option. I thought I could have some 4g cell phone hotspot for internet access but that seems to be wrong. I will update as I find out more.

4. Collapse Details
    Bassman2003, I have both the 270 and the Panasonic USB thingy (I've only tested it with an iOS device as a controller) if there is something you want me to "test" for you let me know.

I don't even know why I bought the USB thingy as I'll likely never use it, just got it cheap on ebay in case I ever had a need.

Glen@KPSR.com is the best way to reach me.

5. Collapse Details
    For some short period of time recently, the dongle (I love that word), became unavailable shortly after my own purchase. Now it seems available again and is being advertised for use with the newer HVX200. So this onion might peel some more.

Is there any mention of this in Berry's book about the HVX ?

6. Collapse Details
    The Asus model is on rebate now at Fry's for an end total of $19.99. I was going to pick on up but want to make sure I can even accomplish what I am after - live streaming from an outdoor location.

7. Collapse Details
    Well, I've been streaming for 8 years or so. First, forget the dongle thing. Plug camera via USB or SDI directly to your PC box or laptop. If you are using only one camera just install Adobe Flash Encoder on your PC, it's free. If the event can supply a wired LAN connection, that's your best option. If more than one camera, buy Wirecast.

Then you need a provider for pushing the stream to your viewers such as Ustream, etc. There are also some free services but usually has ads on the video. If you have more than 50 viewers, you might have to pay for more bandwidth. You have to have a landing page. That's the webpage address where viewers will watch your video. Goolge and find a free site that provides that service. Or code a page on your own website.

If your outdoors without a wired LAN, you have the option of renting a SAT internet dish that includes a generator (somewhat expensive depending on the client,--- this is what we use most of the time.) Or a cellphone brick--can connect 4 cellphones and spread the bandwidth among the phones. Or just buy, rent a USB or hotspot Verizon 4G LTE. You just connect via your wireless connection or USB port. The Up speed (Push) is getting better. I recorded a Push of almost 5megs on a Verizon hotspot. That's pretty decent. And Verizon has the most cell towers in the US. You can use your own cell phone as a hotspot if you have a good connection.

But forget the dongle. It will be spotty. You want a wired connection from you camera to a PC. A laptop can be right below you tripod. If you're running around, rent a wireless video transmitter/receiver.
    Last edited by JohnnyD; 02-23-2016 at 09:08 PM.

8. Collapse Details
    JohhnyD,

Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion this would not be as easy as I wanted it to be. Looks like I would need to commit to a streaming setup to really get it done correctly. Since I would be filming sports, just throwing a camera feed online is quite boring in today's world. Graphics, team names and scores are quite important which points to a Wirecast type of setup. Quite a lot for a one man band given I question weather clients would want to pay up very much for me to add the streaming anyway.

Laptop, hotspot, data plan, Wirecast, extra batteries. Probably $2,000 in the end. Maybe cheaper with Vmix software. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction as this might lead me to a solid "no" answer!

9. Collapse Details
    Can the PX270 stream MPEG-TS to the server I already use? Sony and Panasonic use MPEG-TS as default, but seems other camera manufacturers like to use "services" that you have to pay for, cannot bring your own receiver or use standard protocols.

Paul