Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    I got a "Night of the Comet" vibe from your film.

Your devices were strong, and really worked...especially the clown. The clown gimmick worked so well visually, in fact, that it could have stood alone (without the aid of exposition/flashback.)

Storywise, I also was impressed with the idea that various "stragglers" were thrown together (not in tight-knit groups of their buddies).

You got a standing ovation from me on this one.

For your daily Callaghanism...follow Cal on

2. Collapse Details
    Yes; the straggler idea totally worked for me. I cant wait for the DVD on this extended version. My fav!

3. Collapse Details
    Still Alive Mod Jack Daniel Stanley's Avatar
    What the heck is the file name for this movie?

I've downloaded 79 files with no repeats I think and have no file name remotely close to to laughing blood.

Just skimmed thread looking for file name, didn't want to read details so I could watch it fresh, but saw Hudson mention it in another thread and wanted to see what's got his nipples so hard.
    JACKDANIELSTANLEY.COM
    FREE AWARD-WINNING MOSTLY-HORROR SHORTS FROM
    DVXUSER, TRIBECA, SLAMDANCE, SXSW, TORONTO AFTER DARK, AND MORE...

4. Collapse Details
    I thought the audio was really lacking in this one. I don't judge on compression but basically production value, I felt was really missing. The head hits were really, really bad with the exception of the bowling pin in the eye. The acting was decent (most of the time), and the clowns were cool. It was original, but seemed to really drag. I watched it a couple of times, but couldn't really get into it. Great job nontheless as alot of things were done very well. For advice I would say definately work on your f/x.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jdanstan
    What the heck is the file name for this movie?

I've downloaded 79 files with no repeats I think and have no file name remotely close to to laughing blood.

Just skimmed thread looking for file name, didn't want to read details so I could watch it fresh, but saw Hudson mention it in another thread and wanted to see what's got his nipples so hard.
    "lghngbld4" is the name on the file I downloaded ... I'll PM you as well, incase no one else has gotten this to you yet.
    Norm Sanders
    Director/Producer/Editor/Writer/Blah Blah Blah

*click titles to view*
    "Meat Market" - Comedy - (Completed - DVD available)
    "The Indispensable Chaucer" - Comedy - 5 min - FINALIST in DVXuser's BetrayalFest
    "Berlin" - Dramatic Period Thriller - 15 min (WINNER - Best Historical Film at Route 66 FilmFest ... nominated for BEST SCORE, BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY, BEST ART DIRECTION at AOF Fest)

6. Collapse Details
    I've watched this one a bunch of times, mainly the flashback. I agree that you could've just began it with the survivors in the room and the flow would've been improved (and given you more time for extra goodness).

The flashback is simply brilliant. The timing. The gags (that first bowling pin throw). Christ I nearly split in two.

One could complain about the video quality, the lack of slick camera moves, etc... but I won't, because it WORKED for this film. When this contest was announced, I knew I wanted to see something like Evil Dead 2, and this came closest. Applause all around.

7. Collapse Details
    Nice job!!! Loved the effects. Great job on those. Extra points for a clown in a lead role!!!

Acting was better than average and pretty believeable overall. Flashback was awesome. Liked the low budget feel of it and the effects worked really nicely overall.

Great job!

Robert

8. Collapse Details
    thanks for all the feedback! we've been away from dvxuser for a while (getting the dvd vers. done, "real"-life etc.) and it's great to come back and read all of your thoughts on our flick. alot of the folks who have posted in here haven't gotten comments from us YET. shame on us.

a few thoughts on your thoughts...
    first off, throughout this thread you guys have made comparisons to some of our absolute favorites in the genre, which made us blush like little schoolgirls.
    it makes us happy that the straggler\random people concept was noted, because that was our origional inspiration. it also makes us happy that the clown gags got some chuckles out of some of you. we had a lot of fun doing them (there are some pretty good bloopers in our b.t.s. stuff, if Jarred can fit them in). the idea with the mix of humor comes from our opinion that, during even the most awfull of circumstances, funny s*%t happens. getting the blend right in the 5 min. version was tough (maybe the serious bits will work better in the extended cut).
    funny story on the live audio...we literally pulled the microphone we used out of its shipping box on location (it was delivered the day before), tossed the manual in our kit-bag, and plugged it in for shot 1. we were, therefore, pretty happy just to have sound! this was also technically true of the DVX itself...prior to day 1 on location we had spent about an hour with it in our studio. this entire project has been an exercise in jumping in head first.
    the reactions to our head-shots and gore are a mixed bag, which we expected. we made a decision early on to do pretty much all of it as traditionally as possible as an homage to the greats of the 70s (romero etc.). we've never tried non-digital effects before, so it was a huge (and very fun) learning experience.
    this is our first attempt at making a movie, and to have feedback from a group like this instead of just family\friends is incredibly valuable (and just plain poo pooing cool!). a bazillion thanks to Jarred and Barry S for putting this together and to all of you for sitting through ours and taking the time to offer your thoughts!
    time to get our slacker asses in gear and finish commenting on the rest of the entries.
    -

"What's the matter, Dave? All we want to do is kill ya." - Officer Curtis Mooney's corpse - Killer Klowns From Outer Space

9. Collapse Details
    Holy s*%t that was funny! GREAT JOB! Clowns are scary as s*%t!
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

10. Collapse Details
    The make up was great and the CLOWN bit was excellent !!!!. from the popping of the balloon in the clowns hands , the roller pin in the head .. and when the busted balloon fell on the Zombies head ..The whole clown scene was perfect .well done !!!
    The compression was so so when watched in full view but didn't look bad in the smaller version . Watching this a 2nd time , I really enjoy the clown scene ..
    Can't wait to see this on DVD .....Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast