Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Thanks everyone. Your opinions mean a ton to me. I am glad the city chaos is somewhat evident. I raeally wanted out of the farmhouse on this. I came up short about 5 people for zombie/extras and am still pissed about the ZERO notice on that. Damn the apes I guess. BUt man 5 more bodies would really be cool.

Again the music and VSFX; these guy's are rockstasr and the girl looking up and growling I agree; just
    is kind of "Eh..."

Nit. Pick.

Time: 5:02 AM, Eastern Daylight Time.

Would make it pitch-black in LA.
    LOL Nice detail. FYI on another homage. At the very end of The Return of the Living Dead when the bomb goes off that the time is "5:01 AM, Eastern Daylight Time." My story is 1 minute later! LOL

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Hudson
    FYI on another homage. At the very end of The Return of the Living Dead when the bomb goes off that the time is "5:01 AM, Eastern Daylight Time." My story is 1 minute later! LOL
    I didn't make that connection when watching your film. Very clever! Now, if the time of day was just as the sun had just begun to rise...

3. Collapse Details
    This wasn't one of the first films I watched but as soon as I got to it it was one of the first to really stand out and grab my attention with it's massive feel. I really give you props for paying homage and keeping the original genre feel. You really achieved the DOTD 2004 you were aiming for. I don't know if it was intentional but the main actress bared a slight resemblance to Sarah Polly from DOTD 2004 which I thought was a good touch (intentional or not).

I enjoyed the opening it really got the mood going. This is a nit pic only because I watched it so many times for enjoyment when I caught it but in one of the composite shots in the opening the handheld camera work gets moving so much that we see the plane where the Green Screen ends (correct me if I'm wrong). Also, is that you in the opening running like the 28 days later zombie? That was awsome.

I think many of the faults I saw you have already addressed so I won't repeat any of that. other than that I did feel that the street was nicely planned but could have used a little more extras and background chaos but it still served it's purpose. Also I wasn't a fan of the shot where the main character was trying to start the car and her hand covers her entire face it seemed awkward to me. Maybe a profile 2 shot or shooting in front of the steering wheel would have remedied that or having her sit on books or something while preserving that set eyeline.

Overall one of the best efforts I've seen so far.
    Finally don't loose that composer he is awsome!
    Later DayZ

4. Collapse Details
    LOL exactly.

Qould you believe we got there at 7:00 am ? Of course we didnt start shooting until NINE!

5. Collapse Details
    Congrats John!

Forgive me if I repeat what others may have already stated, but I skipped down here to give my impressions, without input.

First, I got a great 1970's vibe from the flick. It reminded me of a super16, heavy grain, highly saturated horror/thriller flick from that era. I like your title - it tells ya what's in store for ya, and was a cool nod to the past.

Acting was ok, with one exception, and I'll leave it at that. That one nurses reactions were pretty authentic IMO. Props for that.

I liked your shot selection, and the handheld worked well. Yet, I thought you could have been a bit bolder in some of your directing choices (I would have loved to see a jib shot in there). Your fx served your flick, which was an accomplishment considering it didn't detract from the retro feel.

Overall, it was one of the best thriller/horror shorts, IMO. Nice work. I'd love to see you shoot some film (heresy!) because from what I've seen it looks like you have the right aesthetic for it. I'm glad your short didn't suck, cause then I wouldn't have posted...Good on ya!

Cheers.

6. Collapse Details
    Okay heres my feedback. I thought this was a good showcase of what you can do with your DVX, alot of the shots worked for me and the locations were really awesome. The look and feel of the film was also really cool.

And now I'll give you some criticism although I don't like doing it...especially because I didnt submit a film to the contest I feel like I don't have a right to critique other peoples work...but o well hopefully it will help you some

I didn't personally like the titles because they didnt really fit with the rest of the movie. I also didnt like that you said it was a true story because I thought that sorta took away from it (at least for me). Also I didn't like the opening shot, it looked composited to me, and if it wasn't....something looked wrong with it. That was by far my least favorite shot in the movie(I liked all the others for the most part) so I didn't like that you had it in there first. Also, I know its only 5 minutes but I think the story was still lacking...and acting wasnt pro but thats not your fault.

Overall though it was a job well done.

7. Collapse Details
    john!

The intro was very well done, to me it felt like it had a marvel-comic feel to it. Especially the shot of guy coming up on the hill, I was expecting him to hulk up. The transition there really made it feel like it was comic book movie. Not that its a bad thing, I think its evident that I've seen to many marvel movies and not enough zombie flicks. I've never seen any of that guy's movie,... romero? I think i saw a few snippets when I was a kid watching tv. he created dawn of the dead right?

ok, let me churn up a few of my brain cells on this critque. Off the bat, it had a badass start. The sfx was top notch, really good. Then came the stills which kinda threw me off. you did a good job with the chaotic atmosphere, with everyone running around. It really needs alot more people.. The wide shot with the people running around looks planned. I think it would be more effective if you have the two nurse running down an ally way... the shot would be close up, and then have the people in the ally way bumping into them. then they go out to the car..close documentary style. but thats just me i usually dont have alot of people and im always trying to think of ways to make seem convincing.

the part where the nurse gets shot, I dont think it needs the flash there, I would immediately cut to the main girl (reaction to the shot) then of the nurse on the ground.

everything else is topnotch, the soundtrack, story. The logline really made me want to see the movie. There was some antcipation, overall no disapointment here! look forward to the next project.

8. Collapse Details
    first off...we love the "true events" opener. great homage.

things that make us smile:

- black\white version of your logo. yay.

- title font...it MAY have been "cooler" to use a more subdued, modern font, but we thought it meshed well with overall feel (and, again, great homage to the classics).

- opening city-scape shots...we LOVED it. felt new-school and old-shool at the same time.

- body twitch on the first victim shot...right off the bat you have "ewww" factor. nice job on the actor's part.

- realistic and visceral gunplay. of COURSE it would have been nice to see some gore when the woman gets shot, however we FELT it, and it added TONS to the "oh, $#!@" feeling of the street scene.

- multi-faceted musical homage...spot on.

- good jump-scare when shot-woman bites main-woman.

- foot-print texture in the sand when the nurse\doc. un-dies...STUNNING.

- closing shot....NICE.

....and things that make us frown (all nit-picks, BTW)

- the cell\comet\monkey sequence...maybe the three shots could have been flashed faster. liked the idea, just felt a LITTLE drawn out.

- ONE thing about the music. when the two women are running for the car at the on-set of the street scene the intensity level seemed a bit high, possibly detracting from the later more intense music cues during the shooting.

- car not starting...blah blah blah on this one...(us mentioning it, we mean), but if it had been a 70s muscle car it would have worked better.

- SOME acting stuff (not enough to really detract, though).

- close-up of main actor going-zombie MAYBE a bit too drawn out (but the shot is gorgeous).

- could'nt quite hear the very last line in the voice-over.

for us one of the most important aspects of ANY movie is the feel\tone. there is a thing we call the "car-crash feeling" (you know, that stomach-just-fell-into-your-pelvis-and-turned-to-ice feeling). when a movie triggers this reaction we are always impressed.
    in a serious zombie\horror piece this is what you want. YOU GOT IT.
    the gritty\visceral quality is our favorite aspect of Pestilence.

also it feels more like one min. than five min. EVERY time we watch it!
    -

"What's the matter, Dave? All we want to do is kill ya." - Officer Curtis Mooney's corpse - Killer Klowns From Outer Space

9. Collapse Details
    Well done John
    I did like the Title( fonts) ..I grew up on B horror flicks from the 60s and 70s.
    I know what you mean by the NO SHOWS UGGG!!!! been there !

10. Collapse Details
    John I agre with I & T on a few comments

the cell\comet\monkey sequence...maybe the three shots could have been flashed faster. liked the idea, just felt a LITTLE drawn out.

I agree this was one of the parts that I didnt like about the short, seemed out of place.

- ONE thing about the music. when the two women are running for the car at the on-set of the street scene the intensity level seemed a bit high, possibly detracting from the later more intense music cues during the shooting.

The first time I watched it, it didnt bother me as bad, but the second time I started to notice little things like this.

i also didnt like the girl getting eaten at the beginning. No hard feelings but I just didnt feel it on that shot.

the last thing that got me was the title. I just didnt like something about it. When i can wrap my finger around it I will let you know. Also dont you know your woman knows best!!! God it took years of abuse before i finally realized that. Now that the beatings have stop I just learn to agree and go on.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast