Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    LOL

Thanks Curgon. (No permit was needed if you can believe that?).

Two things:

First, yes it was intentional to have two different vibes; one of a kind of post bite look and then of course the actual events leading up to the bite.

Second, since the beginning of my capture I have not been happy with the chosen look. IN fact, I hate the clean look. I do like the car interior look but everything outside the car I just am not happy with at all. Maybe I should rethink for the DVD? I just didnt know what to do with the coloring. I felt anything to stylistic was really competing with the gritty YES YOU GOT IT (Specifically the title design!) Devils Rejects style.

2. Collapse Details
    John. very nice. love your ideas.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Hudson
    I have had more comments onthe FONT and including comments from my wife and composer prior to final render tellling me it wasn't working. I went with my filmmaker instinct (couldn't let go or think objectively?) and kept it in. Damn if I should have listened to them and went with a more cleaner contemporary element. Sigh. I was aiming to pay tribute to older school 1970's horror films with the large and campy title for what it is worth.
    On the font, I loved it immediately for just the reasons you wanted to use it, John. I thought how surprised I was that more people didnt do the same.

I can only echo most other comments up to this point. This one stood out to me as definitely having a more big budget feel, (big world, I think you said) and the score stood out as top notch.

I agree the car not starting is a bit overdone, but it seems to be a standard. heh! Story wasnt the strongest point in this one, though.

Thanks for a great flick!

I'm not technically savvy, so my reviews will suck in that regard. I just know what I like when I see it.

4. Collapse Details
    Rowe Cine LLC
    ..k this one one was by far the best at creating a feeling that the entire city/ stat/ country /world was in chaos. the people in the background really made this work well. the action was realistic, and not overplayed and pasuingonevery dramatic moment.. it wasjust inyour face,and sort of let you feel like your part of the chaos. that was the films best worked element. the music of course was tremendous. that guy has got skills. to be honest i didnt really notice the FX plate of the city on fire the first time i watched becasue the focus is on the protagonist in the foreground.. next time through my eyes wandered back there and i noticed it. nice work rich. yeah though the acting was square . the girlsdelivered dry performances in the car. outside of the car they did great i thought. i didnt reallycare for the look up at the camera growling.."im a zombie now.." shot of the main girl. but with respect to the early zombie film theme it was well played. i was hoping for the griity feel through the whole film too, but the modern thing worked as well for the fast paced realistic action.

overall it was somewhere in my top 3(have to rewatch those again), and definitely deserves to win something imho. great job john!!

5. Collapse Details
    Amazing how we perceive certain things a certain way, and how one group is in agreement with one way of doing things, and another group isn't.

John, your movie had some EXCELLENT things in it; the STREET SCENE was just nearing perfection. If this would have been a BIG MOVIE PROJECT, this one scene alone would of taken many days in preparation, and further days in execution. You pulled that one scene off with much less effort and it worked fantastically!!!
    That one guy running in front of the cam was one of those *small* details that just elevates the whole production. We instantly get a feel for a director who likes the details and can deliver a mood.

Okay, and now for the but: I have the luxury of already having read some of your comments here, and can see that you yourself have identified some of the "shortcomings"....no, that's too harsh, let's go with "slight troubles" of the flick:
    The change in mood from the beginning to the middle part, and a somewhat return to that original feel I had a hard time with. This might of worked better if the movie wasn't so short, but it being only a few minuted long, made it all the more difficult to be thrown all over the place. this distracted, IMHO only, from the story more than it added to it. The titles showing up almost a third way in might of been a way to try and separate the several "feels", but again, with a movie this short, it didn't really work.
    Funnily enough, I like the beginning titles and their font just fine. reminded me of a HELLBOY kind of thing, where we are told a background information from WW2 or of days gone by. Kudos for sticking to your guns on that one!
    Maybe the whole beginning scenes were too long for what in effect was a very short main street-scene. How should I put it? The fluffy eye-candy (although very nicely done!) was too overbearing on the actual heart of the movie.

Overall though, I liked it, but mainly because I'm still in awe of how you pulled that VERY diffcult to master street scene off!

6. Collapse Details
    Oh, something I forgot to mention: a tiny technical thingy: we have the old switcharoo left-right/right-left thing going on with the two main female characters.
    As they are running toward the car, the driver is to the left of the passenger, then it cuts to the passenger being to the left of the driver. This could have easily been avoided (using the same camera positions) by having the passenger run in AHEAD of the driver in the first bit.

7. Collapse Details
    A lot of good points... Of cousre everybody was crazy to see John's and we are not dissapointed!

John, what was a delbraker for me was the story. Although I agree with vidled, the parking lot scene is very good (and a very hard scene to shoot), it almost saved it! But everytime we went for the future time (post bite), the "flashforwards", we could see where the film was going, and that kind of ruined any element of surprise. A short film is all about ending, and I felt yours was pretty straight forward, even with the paralel montage. While the parking lot scene had some tension, clear character goals, and all that jazz, the post bite scene was pretty bland... The tension was much milder. I think that is what really don't work for me. Oh, yeah, I loved the music too, and Rich Lee, as always, did a terrific job!

Still I commend you, it's a very well done film, and really a pleasure to watch, even the ending being a little dissapointing...

8. Collapse Details
    Yeah, I thought this film was awesome. The energy is so high and, as has been mentioned earlier, chaotic. Great work, John!

9. Collapse Details
    Nit. Pick.

Time: 5:02 AM, Eastern Daylight Time.

Would make it pitch-black in LA.

LEARN FILMMAKING -- DIGITAL DOWNLOADS of great training programs!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE

10. Collapse Details
    Pestilence - A good effort, but for a zombie genre flick, I would have preferred nighttime for the street scenes. Available light exteriors are just a little to "normal" of look for my taste as they don't really contribute to the tone of a film. The acting seemed OK, but they didn't really sell their characters as well as they could. I did enjoy watching the film and it held my interest so for me that helped to overcome any of the other issues that I had with it.

Hope that didn't come out reading too negative, I just think that it is more helpful to be honest since this will really be a learning experience for most of us.

Again, good effort and I enjoyed watching it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast