Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Pestilence - John Hudson
    I'll break the ice (start posting your films people)

I'm always wanting to hear the truth. Don't hold back. Give it to me. The good, the bad, the ugly. I learned a ton on this one.

2. Collapse Details
    I'll jump in with some comments right off the back on yours since I just now finished watching it. Let me start with the good:

I loved the music, thought it was completely appropriate to the situation. I enjoyed the sound, and thought visually it worked really well. I liked the colors and the montage of stills in the beginning. There was a great flow to it overall, and I really was hoping that it wouldn't end. It seemed to go by very quickly, which is excellent for any short film (you never want it to feel like it is dragging). The cities in the background made me immediately think of big budget production value...

Things I would look at again:

The font in the title didn't do it for me. One of the things I struggle with is not doing any handheld, and at first I was amazed by the amount of hand held there was, but by the end I thought there was almost too much of it. I don't know how I would change that and still keep the feel of the picture, so take that with an ounce of salt. (Pause I want to watch again). I can't come up with anything else, other than in the final voice over the sound seems to drop really quick right after she says "we tell ourselves [drop in volume]"

I thought it was great.
    Before you ask use the DVXUser Search function

3. Collapse Details
    Hey John,

The opening shot with the woman walk down the road was awsome. Good pacing, I never lost interest for a second. Good acting, and some really cool shots.

I loved when the men in all white jumped out of the white truck and didn't waste any time shooting. Very well done short John!

Cory Cone

4. Collapse Details
    Terrific work! Yes the music was really first rate.

I've found that the best films I've watched so far are the ones that keep surprising you. This one definitely kept the pleasant surprises coming, including the photography, compositing, locations, and plot. I only wish there was a bit more to the story, I was definitely left wanting more closure.

Overall really cool.

5. Collapse Details
    I watched this one the first day, wish it was more fresh on my mind. I remember thinking the acting was a bit off. This will be true for pretty much all the films though as not too many of us were working w/pro actors. The story lacked a bit, wich is also going to be true for pretty much everything. The opening scenes were really good. How did you do them? If we're allowed to talk about it. Kept my interest the whole time. I agree w/ Yankee about the Titles. I liked the compositions. Looked really pro. Car not starting is kinda overdone, but overall it was pretty good.

6. Collapse Details
    Yankee
    I'll jump in with some comments right off the back on yours since I just now finished watching it. Let me start with the good:

I loved the music, thought it was completely appropriate to the situation. I enjoyed the sound, and thought visually it worked really well. I liked the colors and the montage of stills in the beginning. There was a great flow to it overall, and I really was hoping that it wouldn't end. It seemed to go by very quickly, which is excellent for any short film (you never want it to feel like it is dragging). The cities in the background made me immediately think of big budget production value...

Things I would look at again:

The font in the title didn't do it for me. One of the things I struggle with is not doing any handheld, and at first I was amazed by the amount of hand held there was, but by the end I thought there was almost too much of it. I don't know how I would change that and still keep the feel of the picture, so take that with an ounce of salt. (Pause I want to watch again). I can't come up with anything else, other than in the final voice over the sound seems to drop really quick right after she says "we tell ourselves [drop in volume]"
    I thought it was great.
    Thank you Yankee for some lengthy commentary! You can be sure I'll return the favor. I get alot of comments onthe music; it was a composer in Italy named Piernicola Di Muro who I will be uising in the future for all of my work. I beleive he is one of two shining elements in this short and he served to really keep it afoat. The other is Rich Lee, who kindly added some VSFX to this piece. What I am most impressed with is that he did it a literally less than an hour (both plates). His VSFX is the other shining element that really bouys this piece (Rich is a talented son of a bitch who still has a dose of humility).

I have had more comments onthe FONT and including comments from my wife and composer prior to final render tellling me it wasn't working. I went with my filmmaker instinct (couldn't let go or think objectively?) and kept it in. Damn if I should have listened to them and went with a more cleaner contemporary element. Sigh. I was aiming to pay tribute to older school 1970's horror films with the large and campy title for what it is worth.

I was definatley attempting to give a 'bigger world' approach to this. I wanted to get out of the 'farmhouse' and into the Dawn of the Dead 2004 mold. I came up short with 4 or 5 actors the afternoon prior to shooting and feel this really hindered my WORLD.

The Audio Voiceover will be reworked for the DVD version. Thank you for pointing that out.

Cory Cone

Hey John,

The opening shot with the woman walk down the road was awsome. Good pacing, I never lost interest for a second. Good acting, and some really cool shots.

I loved when the men in all white jumped out of the white truck and didn't waste any time shooting. Very well done short John!
    I give all compliments to Rich Lee on the plate shots. I beleive he used After Effects and Shake and simply a Digital still he had taken of the LA area (sounds easy huh?).

I too love when we cut to the men in the SUV. I was trying to pay some homage to Romero's Crazies.

Curugon
    Terrific work! Yes the music was really first rate.

I've found that the best films I've watched so far are the ones that keep surprising you. This one definitely kept the pleasant surprises coming, including the photography, compositing, locations, and plot. I only wish there was a bit more to the story, I was definitely left wanting more closure. Overall really cool.
    Again; full compliments to Peirnicola regaridng the Score. I sent him a MP3 of 3 peices of music I was inpsired by:

Shaun of the Dead opening credits sequence
    Dawn of the Dead 04 opening sequence music (When Anna is driving through city panicked)
    The Fog main theme.

I gave him full license to run with his creativity. I 110% agree with the STORY part. Damn it. I know. I promise the next time I will have an entire pre-production schedule and will make amends on this element.

Slimothy

I watched this one the first day, wish it was more fresh on my mind. I remember thinking the acting was a bit off. This will be true for pretty much all the films though as not too many of us were working w/pro actors. The story lacked a bit, wich is also going to be true for pretty much everything. The opening scenes were really good. How did you do them? If we're allowed to talk about it. Kept my interest the whole time. I agree w/ Yankee about the Titles. I liked the compositions. Looked really pro. Car not starting is kinda overdone, but overall it was pretty good.
    I agree the acting was not great; not horrible but not good either IMO. This is my responsibilty and I dropped the rock (What's an audition?). Again the story. See how I tried to cover this up with a creative EDIT. (I'm rolling my eyes shamefully right now). I agree the car not starting is overdone; but I love it when that happens.

I'm glad it held some interest (always a worry).

7. Collapse Details
    After re-thinking it I think the titles are fitting. It does have that old school feel and I kinda like it. Also, I forgot to mention the scene where the dudes roll up in the SUV is pretty sweet. I like the action stuff and when they cap on that chick, it's cool because that's the kinda s*%t that would really be happening. I'm gonna watch it again and give a better review.

8. Collapse Details
    Thanks Slim. My only regret about capping that chick is not actually showing it (Like when you do in Human Endeavour; don't worry, I'll get to that review). That would have been sweet and a nice piece of candy to end the action sequence (The actress was a fragile one).

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Hudson
    Thanks Slim. My only regret about capping that chick is not actually showing it (Like when you do in Human Endeavour; don't worry, I'll get to that review). That would have been sweet and a nice piece of candy to end the action sequence (The actress was a fragile one).
    Yea, that would've been sweet. See some brain matter!

10. Collapse Details
    I wanted to also mention that I loved the title design. Totally got me in the mood.

After watching it again I noticed that the "feel" shifts a bit - the opening and closing scenes have that great, gritty/sunparched feel (a la Devil's Rejects) whereas the city scenes are very clean and modern. Was this intentional? It doesn't detract anything for me, but maybe a more shabby, rundown location would've matched? Just tossin' it out there.

I really loved seeing people running around like mad in the BG. It helped the intensity quite a bit and added that realism. In fact, that whole scene feels great because it seems like you actually took control of a city block for the shoot (as opposed to guerilla-style run n gun). Again that goes back to my "pleasant surprises" comment earlier.

I've enjoyed watching this a number of times!

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast