Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Texas Fortune - Curugon
    Looking forward to hearing any thoughts & comments. I'll try to get some BTS organized this week.

Cheers!

2. Collapse Details
    I loved this one. Awsome actors man! What was with the voices, was everything dubbed in later?

3. Collapse Details
    First of all DJQuickfingas; tell me that's not your review?

Curugon

I think you already know this; holy s*%t you can make a film. I am so impressed with your work and didn't even realize who you were. I had seen your early work before from a dvinfo.net link; Ancanar which I believe you shot on an XL1s? That is one of those testimonials to 'what is behind the camera' matters.

And the recent Triage. Man that was just cool. I just watched that today (how did I miss that thread?) as I looked you up. I'd love to get with you one day and shoot. Your compostions and framing are wonderfully pro. I want to know the secret's behind 'Framing for 2:35 shooting 4:3' (most of it is a god given talent I am sure)

I loved your short Texas Treasure; and again; didn't realize till today who it was by and who you were. Everything from the opening titles, framing, the lighting, the exposure, the score, the editing, the audio (How much ADR and workflow?), the talent, the color correction....................................

FIRST RATE ALL OF IT

This was the first film in the batch where I called my wife in and said 'You gotta see this one'. You set a nice mood with this short. I liked the hot and dusty feel, the whiskey, the sylized flashback to 'DO you have a prescription?'...

The best scare is when the older man is in the back tied up and the undead is right there in his face; awesome.

The cowboy being dragged into the back of the SUV was awesome. You are a filmmaker to be reckoned with. I look forward to your continued participation in this forum before you become an elitist hollywood bastard (it's inevitable I think).

Your short is not my favorite per se (I'll announce that one when the thread is created by its owner and the reasons) but I did give it a 9 simply because only one would get my 10 (incidentally only one got a 1 from me as well). This was a decision I made going into the fest.

But your short is in my list of top films by far; top 2 is a fair assesment. I was blown away by your execution and thouroughly entertained. I look forward to future work and inpiration from you (you raised the bar drastically from previous contests) and I aim to give you a run soon!

I can try and say some derogs but can't really think of too many; some of the vsfx were obvious for example? That is a neglible issue for me at this time.

Your film is practically flawless in technical execution and flawless. I found ZERO frames that struck me as odd. Each composition is wonderful. Your attention to detail with showing what the older man was watching on television for example is a great narrative technique to me, your insert shots and B-footy does not appear forced or fluffy.

I rated your film overall a 9 and will not bat and eye it it wins first place.

Bravo

4. Collapse Details
    I thought this was one's production value was through the roof. The ADR was a bit obvious, but still sounded/looked good. Really good acting, zombie makeup was great! When I found out you were entering I knew it would be in the top. Can't really think of anything I don't like except for maybe cut out one of the "do you have a prescriptions?!" lines.

5. Collapse Details
    Hey Curugon,

I just watched your film, the word "amazing" comes to mind. I was blown away by this film, everything about it is just so damn good. From the opening credits to the technical aspect to the acting, it was all just too perfect.

That zombie looked awsome as well! Where can I see more of your work because this was beautiful.

Cory Cone

6. Collapse Details
    I was feeling pretty good about my chances 15 or so shorts in... then I saw Texas Fortune and few others... boy... do I have a long friggin way to go!!

Before I begin... let me say... I am SO happy I downloaded this and a few other movies that humble my film. I had a wild fixation with getting the HVX so I could make a decent films... well now I see the true potential of this camera and how far I need to go. I still can believe the amount of detail you got from the DVX.

1) Title sequence is amazing... sets up the whole film.. music perfect... looks like a real feature...can't wait to find out how you did it.

2) Lighting is first rate. Brown tones on cowboy works. Good Acting. However as soon as went CU on cowboy.. I knew it was ADR or from another take... it was off.

3) Blues hues on Pharmacist works... but could have used a "flicker box" to simulate TV. I'm nickpicking but I figure you seeking improvement. You Light and Direct circles around me. Too bad you're in CA or I'd gladly drive there and wait in line behind John Hudson to join you on a shoot.

4) Zombie: I love the way you darkened his eyes, mouth. And the knife edge across the throat has me still wondering how you did it. I see it's a dummy, but the slash looks great.

5) I LOVE the blown out look, editing... I'm curious of your shutter speed on some of these scenes... it looks... professional.

Like John says... beside the audio... which because everything was so perfect... it distracted me... your technical execution was flawless.

But it wasn't MY favorite of shorts "playing it straight" only because there is a film that is as technical and artistically sound but had a slight edge in the nuances that made the story more "real" to me. Still if Texas Fortune wins... you deserve it.
    2 x GH5's, 2 x GH4's
    Tokina 11-16 DX, Panny 12-35, Sigma 18-35, Sigma 50-150 HSM
    Pix-E5, Pix-E5H, 2 x MustHD 7", Benro Tripods, Ronin-M, Zhiyun Crane

7. Collapse Details
    Oh... and I liked all the "prescriptions" lines...
    2 x GH5's, 2 x GH4's
    Tokina 11-16 DX, Panny 12-35, Sigma 18-35, Sigma 50-150 HSM
    Pix-E5, Pix-E5H, 2 x MustHD 7", Benro Tripods, Ronin-M, Zhiyun Crane

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you everyone for the thoughtful responses! I'd like to mention that I co-directed this with my good buddy Jesse Soff, who I used to shoot with in Boston.

Yes, it seems the ADR is distracting to people. It sounds nice coming from my TV system, but after checking it on a few laptops the dialogue sounds off. Perhaps I can tweak it a bit for the DVD.

Your compostions and framing are wonderfully pro. I want to know the secret's behind 'Framing for 2:35 shooting 4:3'
    Thank you very much, John, for all your kind words. Coming from you, it really means a lot. My favorite filmmakers are the ones who can truly frame a 2.35 canvas, so I try my best to do interesting compositions.

Title sequence is amazing... sets up the whole film.. music perfect... looks like a real feature...can't wait to find out how you did it.
    Thanks Panther! Titles were created on textures using Photoshop, then mapped into 3D space with Cinema 4D. Music was composed with Digital Performer, using samples from Garritan Personal Orchestra and SampleTank.

Zombie: I love the way you darkened his eyes, mouth. And the knife edge across the throat has me still wondering how you did it. I see it's a dummy, but the slash looks great
    No dummy was used - the actor had the prosthetic on, and I painted out the gash in post before the knife slashed across.

I'm curious of your shutter speed on some of these scenes
    All outdoor scenes were 1/150, indoor was 1/64.

Thanks again, all!

9. Collapse Details
    Curugon:

John Hudson already put this quite well . . . HOLY s*%t YOU CAN MAKE A FILM! For me as well, this is the short (and I've only screened a few so far) that I HAD to show everyone I knew. EXCELLENT photographic technique and editing. Great titles, sound design, scoring, etc. Goddamned, first-class work, there, Curugon! Congrats!
    Sony NEX-FS100 + FMU | Kinotehnik LCDVFe | Nikkor FX primes | Cavision IRNDs | Vinten Vision 5 | Steadicam Flyer

10. Collapse Details
    Curugon, really nicely put together - well edited with some fun characters. The Cowboy was laying it on a little thick in few places,... which didn't detract from my overall enjoyment though. Your film had a great look too. Yours is one of my early favorites so far.
    Insert your signature here >.... if you like ;-)

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast