Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
  1. Collapse Details
    Well, another year has gone by.
    Still feel the same about the FS700R? Still competitive or is it finally too long in the tooth?

2. Collapse Details
    It still offers the cheapest way to get 4K raw/ProRes anywhere. In fact, the recent free upgrades to the Atomos recorders have made it more competitive, rather than less, in my opinion.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I still love and use my combo all the time. I was forced to rent an fs7 on a shoot because it "had to be an fs7 or C300ii" lol
    I really didn't like the fs7 as much, and found that I hated the menus. To each his own, but I'm good with it probably for another year if not longer - I don't see anything coming out that I would grab. Think about this too - the Arri Alex xst does under 4k resolution and is used by most major films out there. The colour science is amazing though, but just putting that out there. It's not like every major hollywood film is running out to shoot 8k helium
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    I'm just about to embark on a 35 day shoot for an adventure/travel show (10x30min) with the FS700/Inferno as the primary camera. It doesn't have to be 10-bit and I could definitely get away with not shooting to the Inferno (I've just used the internal for the past 2 seasons), but we're going to be filming lots of bushland & trees, lots of sunrise/sunsets, and lots of wide-blue-sky vistas, which are 3 scenarios which really push the limits of the internal recording. So this year it'll be 10-bit 2k for acquisition.

I could easily use just this job to cover the cost of a fully kitted-out F5 package and still have change If I wanted to, but I see absolutely no need to, so I'll just keep all that money in my pocket instead.

It's still the same situation as a few years ago - if you're hired based on your camera then producers will want someone with a FS7 or C300mkII as the minimum. If you're not married to the requirements of freelancing for producers and networks then the FS700 - with a recorder - still delivers a punch well and truly above it's weight (or cost). I'll get another 12 months out of mine at least, I think.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 | Shogun Inferno | Sony A7s
    Adobe CC 2015

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

5. Collapse Details
    I still think it is...and I took the plunge and picked up an FS7 as well. However, truth be told...I'm still a bit partial to the image out of the 700 w/ a 7q. But, it's a bit more overhead to deal with especially when your running and gunning. Don't get me wrong, I love the FS7 and probably use it a bit more now but under the right circumstances I still use the 700/7q. I've finished three docs over the past couple years, probably 60/40 in favor of the FS7 but I would invite anyone to pick out which images were from what camera. But like some have mentioned, it would be tough sell to bid a job with that camera even in combination with a 7q...your more apt to get a request for a FS7 at minimum. However if your like me, half my work is creating my own content for the outdoor industry so it doesn't matter what I use. So as far as my 700/7q goes, I could see easily getting a couple more years out of it.

6. Collapse Details
    I know it's not necessarily the 'hip' thing to say.....but I still shoot internal with my FS700.
    I am mostly a 'one man video company' so it works well for me. I really appreciate
    the ease of archiving (small footprint)....I can fit almost 3 hours of footage, as data files
    on a black Blu Ray disk.) When I finally do upgrade, all the money I have been saving by
    not buying a new camera, will go much further than it would go if I bought one today.....
    and I wouldn't make any more money myself from upgrading right now.

7. Collapse Details
    Funny to see this thread pop up now in 2017!
    I reckon it is still a good question to ask, I get tempted to buy a FS700 now and then.

And I reckon the new Atomos updates just make it even cheaper to get 4K now, like Tim said:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sewell View Post
    It still offers the cheapest way to get 4K raw/ProRes anywhere. In fact, the recent free upgrades to the Atomos recorders have made it more competitive, rather than less, in my opinion.

8. Collapse Details
    I'm still booking work with it, still using it as my A cam. See no point in buying another camera until I can get 6-8K or more DR for under $10K.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by IronFilm View Post
    Funny to see this thread pop up now in 2017!
    I reckon it is still a good question to ask, I get tempted to buy a FS700 now and then.
    What's stopping you? Shogun Inferno is down to $1295 new so you could easily pick up a camera/recorder combo for under $4000.
    VIDEO PRODUCER ON THE NSW NORTH COAST, AUSTRALIA
    Sony FS700 | Shogun Inferno | Sony A7s
    Adobe CC 2015

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456