Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    30 days without posts
    I now pronounce this HPX250 forum dead with no posts for 30 days. May it rest in peace.

2. Collapse Details
    The optimist in me would like to believe it's because the 250/270/380 are such easy to operate, efficient and high quality cameras that nobody is having any problems with them or has any questions to discuss. As if.

- Greg

3. Collapse Details
    It seems like the entire board is less active than it once was.

Is that because film making as a hobby is losing steam, is there a thinning amongst the pro ranks, or something else?

Grant

4. Collapse Details
    Maybe less active, but I think these cameras aren't that hot anymore...most cams lose steam over time.

You'll find lots of discussion over more popular cams, especially new or unreleased ones.

HPX250 is a fine machine...used it well for a long time.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post

Is that because film making as a hobby is losing steam, is there a thinning amongst the pro ranks, or something else?

Grant
    There are the very top high-end shooters that shoot for major networks. Most of them are union and rent or are given cameras from the production company. The top Reality shows usually pay union scale of $650. per day or so.

The rest of 90% of shooters call them self Pro's or hoppyist. Most of the companies below the 500 fortune shoot their videos in-house.

Even this months Costco Mag had an article, written by a clueless writer, to shoot your own company video. He even gave a choice of cameras. I LOL'd when he said one choice could be a WebCam. Haaaaaa. Yeh, forget good sound or lighting.

This is the way it's going folks. Everybody will be shooting with a smartphone,etc. Forget a good script writer. My buddy charges $3,000 for a simple script. This guy is one of the best. Not going to happen with a video budget of $500. ,,,or less.

6. Collapse Details
    Yeah it seems to a significant degree that this field has gone to the toilet. There are so many cheap cameras now and so many people trying to do it.
    The hpx 250 still is a capable camera for many things. I had planned on getting one but got other cameras instead.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ggrantly View Post
    Grant

Film making as a hobby is on the increase.... just look at youtube and vimeo. Now "everyone" has a video camera in their phone that shoots HD.(see the book iPhone Millionaire) The problem is many can do a reasonable amount with very inexpensive kit. Sure it is not as good as good kit and an experienced operator but it is "just good enough" for what they want (and in the land of the blind the one eye'd man is king)

I am primarily a still photographer I now shoot Video with a Panasonic AC90. In the Still photography world the bottom has dropped out of many markets with prices falling and for example stock and photo-jpournalisum virtually dying as a career. Now "everyone" is a news photographer..... How many times do you see the TV news use stills and you tube footage shot on a phone?

Most of the DSLR users are migrating to Video as all the "still camera" manufacturers have helpfully put video on the still camera. I got an AC90 as I realised the ergonomics of a DSLR are not right for video, neither does it have the controls, and of course at least 50% of video is the sound input :-) So not only does "everyone" now have a video camera but a whole new group of semi trained photographers with reasonable kit flooding the moving image market.

The industry will change despite some trying to hang on to wet film/tape etc. In much the same way that scribes are still in demand though the word processor has been with us for decades.

Of course it could be that a lll the HPX520 users are all out busy on jobs and don't have time to post here?

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by jagraphics View Post

Most of the DSLR users are migrating to Video as all the "still camera" manufacturers have helpfully put video on the still camera. I got an AC90 as I realised the ergonomics of a DSLR are not right for video, neither does it have the controls, and of course at least 50% of video is the sound input :-) So not only does "everyone" now have a video camera but a whole new group of semi trained photographers with reasonable kit flooding the moving image market.

?
    I also started in stills. Since I was an audio tech since 15 years old, video was a easy addition. I was jaming in the 90's Lot's of 4X5, 2 1/4, BetaCam. Even had my own color Durst printer. Making good money. I was lucky. I even turned down some jobs. But as digital came in, little by little, work was done in-house or the new guy would work for $100. per day or less. I'm glad I had those days. Sometimes I get a big worm, but not like it used to be.

9. Collapse Details
    Well. Look at the HMC section; 3 months without posts

10. Collapse Details
    It's because this forum has turned into DSLRuser…I moved to REDuser years ago, so have many others. Even if you don't have a Red, it's where you want to be, great people and more importantly all the cool stuff that people used to post about here. This place has gotten very clicky and I've personally felt shunned out of here more than a couple times.

Would love to know how may of the current active users have actually owned a DVX-100, or even used one…just saying! ;)
    Shoot for the Impossible...Then do it.

www.jarek.com
    Red Weapon 8K

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast