Thread: A6000 freezes

1. Collapse Details
    A6000 freezes
    Today for the first time after a year and a month, my A6000 stopped working for a good 15min, going back and forth from responding to being completely frozen.
    At some point whatever button I pressed didn't give any feedback, menu wasn't working, review, iso, shutter.. nothing.
    I turned it off for a min., didn't do the trick. I removed the battery and waited another minute, nothing yet. I also changed shooting mode with no luck.
    At the time that happened I had took about 440 pictures in the previous 2-3 hours, though the camera wasn't heating.
    Has anyone experienced anything like this already?

Edit: so, it keeps doing it. I really have no clue what happened, it doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by dsp_418; 02-01-2016 at 12:12 AM.

2. Collapse Details
    So, I called the customer service.
    They asked me to do some tests, which I had already done by myself, and none of them worked.

Now, here comes the crazy part: I'm based in Los Angeles, it turns out there's no authorized repair service here, not one. I've to ship the camera to Connecticut!
    Shipping cost it's on me, repair estimation it's about $250 (it could be more).
    Seriously?? basically more than a half of the body itself.

And above all, what in the world happened to the camera that suddenly is behaving so crazy?

I didn't change anything, same old use. Firmware is updated, I tried a different battery, different card, unplugged the battery and waited for minutes, NOTHING!

That's so disappointing. Rather than spending those money in the repair service, with the concern that this might happen again since no one seems to have a clue of what happened to my camera, I'll throw the camera away.

If anyone might have even remotely a clue of what could be the cause, any hints it's very welcome.

One thing I'm noticing tonight is that the bottom left, almost down to the HDMI area is a little warm.
    Since I never paid attention to this, I'm not sure if now I'm just tripping and picking any single elements that may indicate a malfunction.

3. Collapse Details
    I'm not being funny but if you got a magnet at home rub it on your camera.

I have a Sony PJ780VE brand new. After about 9 months of use at wedding ceremonies 4 buttons stopped working, it had never been exposed to the rain or dropped or even knocked. Still in pristine condition. But the projector button, video light, playback button etc just stopped functioning.

I actually started a thread about it here and the 'other' forum.

Anyway I accidently placed my camera on top of a large A4 sized magnetic sheet (you can get them off ebay, I bought a sheet for a DIY job at home) but anyway it was on my desk and I placed my camera on top. And about a minute later realised thinking omg it's on top of a magnet, that's it, my camera will be busted now. But guess what ??? THE BUTTONS STARTED TO WORK AGAIN !!! camcorder is fully functional. The magnets fixed it ha.

True story, no lies.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by CinematicFanatic View Post
    I'm not being funny but if you got a magnet at home rub it on your camera.

I have a Sony PJ780VE brand new. After about 9 months of use at wedding ceremonies 4 buttons stopped working, it had never been exposed to the rain or dropped or even knocked. Still in pristine condition. But the projector button, video light, playback button etc just stopped functioning.

I actually started a thread about it here and the 'other' forum.

Anyway I accidently placed my camera on top of a large A4 sized magnetic sheet (you can get them off ebay, I bought a sheet for a DIY job at home) but anyway it was on my desk and I placed my camera on top. And about a minute later realised thinking omg it's on top of a magnet, that's it, my camera will be busted now. But guess what ??? THE BUTTONS STARTED TO WORK AGAIN !!! camcorder is fully functional. The magnets fixed it ha.

True story, no lies.
    That's a story for sure!
    I would have figured the same thing, that over a magnet wouldn't be much healthy, although it's usually true for storage.
    Well, at this point I'll try anything because otherwise the camera as is, is not much use.

Thanks for the idea CinematicFanatic!

p.s. so, basically just something like this?
    Magnetic Magnet Sheet Self Adhesive A4 Size for Warhammer Movement Trays | eBay - http://is.gd/XcNFVq

5. Collapse Details
    Left field here but try pulling the battery out and then holding each of the buttons for a few seconds just in case there's some residual capacitance built up somewhere, maybe that will discharge it. Otherwise that's really bogus of Sony. Good luck.

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by poormanwally View Post
    Left field here but try pulling the battery out and then holding each of the buttons for a few seconds just in case there's some residual capacitance built up somewhere, maybe that will discharge it. Otherwise that's really bogus of Sony. Good luck.
    Thanks poormanwally,

I'll try that too!
    Anything, if there's any chance to get it back to work. I really don't want to buy a new camera, the A6000 fits perfectly my needs.

7. Collapse Details
    A quick update: one of the option I turned off since the very first days with my A6000 is the automatic review, as I found it quite annoying especially when I'm in the field and I'm looking through the EVF.
    When I want to review an image, I simply push the review button, but lately the camera it's been quite slow, showing the warning about being busy more often than usual.
    Now, after a few tests it might be possible that pressing the review button and getting the busy warning could be the reason of this weird behavior.
    In fact I've did a couple of test (not exhaustive yet) where after random shooting I didn't press the review button, not even once and so far it seems the camera is behaving normally.

Would that make any sense?!?
    Last edited by dsp_418; 02-02-2016 at 04:59 PM.