Thread: Nab 2016

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Nab 2016
    Still only 2015, but getting in early with my top prediction for cameras to be announced at NAB 2016: URSA Mini 2.5K MFT!

Simply put it is the 2.5K sensor from the BMCC 2.5K put in the URSA Mini body, and using the MFT mount of course.

Don't need to touch or change a thing, and if it sells for the same price as the URSA Mini 4K EF already does, then I'm sure the URSA Mini 4K 2.5K MFT will be a hit!!

But yes, if they can make it be a little cheaper than US$3K (as after all the BMCC is cheaper than the BMPC4K, so I assume the sensor is cheaper), and give it 60fps like the BMMCC (and internal ND filters?? ha, now I really am dreaming!!), then that would be even better.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Totally Usable Mod Stephen Mick's Avatar
    FYI.... I'll be at NAB 2016, so if people want a report on something in particular, just post it here and I'll add it to my list.
    Stephen Mick
    Owner/Creative Director
    Skylark Creative

weareskylark.com

3. Collapse Details
    A Blackmagic camera smaller than the URSA MINI with a smaller battery system aswell. 4.6K sensor, up to 30fps, 15 stops of DR, ideal for gimbals (hi Ronin M) and sliders.

That's all I wish!

E or M43 mount would be super nice for the speed boosters but EF would be OK

4. Collapse Details
    Am I the only one who's not terribly excited? Seems to me that there won't be any game changing announcements.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Giriki View Post
    Am I the only one who's not terribly excited? Seems to me that there won't be any game changing announcements.
    Not sure about "game changing" but Sony is due for their F5/55/65 line update soon. The rumors for C500 MKII have been around for almost a full year. You'd think, with the 2016-17 TV season moving toward the 4K content, ARRI might introduce a "real" (not upscaled internally) 4K camera. Panasonic might have a version of Leica SL, potentially in a camcorder style body. BMD will announce their 2017 and 2018 cameras (to be delivered by 2020). We wouldn't want Stephen to be bored out of his mind, talking only about the new HIVE plasma and (as always) Bohus .... would we?

6. Collapse Details
    I know of several major camera area announcements coming. There will be a lot to talk about.
    Mitch Gross
    Cinema Product Manager
    Panasonic System Solutions Company

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Not sure about "game changing" but Sony is due for their F5/55/65 line update soon. The rumors for C500 MKII have been around for almost a full year. You'd think, with the 2016-17 TV season moving toward the 4K content, ARRI might introduce a "real" (not upscaled internally) 4K camera. Panasonic might have a version of Leica SL, potentially in a camcorder style body. BMD will announce their 2017 and 2018 cameras (to be delivered by 2020). We wouldn't want Stephen to be bored out of his mind, talking only about the new HIVE plasma and (as always) Bohus .... would we?
    Actually, yeah, you're right. There probably will be new stuff in the higher end. I would love it if Sony came out with a replacement for F55 and F65, but that doesn't really concern me seeing that Sony's higher end cameras aren't really available for rental where I usually shoot my stuff and I'm not going to buy a camera that expensive. I agree about Arri, they MUST release a real 4K camera soon (possibly even bigger resolution).

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Gross View Post
    I know of several major camera area announcements coming. There will be a lot to talk about.
    Awesome. You've brought back some of my excitement. Hopefully something in the 15k and under range.

8. Collapse Details
    I'd like to see some good design from companies that listen to shooters. See some products that actually are finished, work and are well supported and comminicated. I'm not hopeful.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

9. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Sánchez Becerra View Post
    A Blackmagic camera smaller than the URSA MINI with a smaller battery system aswell. 4.6K sensor, up to 30fps, 15 stops of DR, ideal for gimbals (hi Ronin M) and sliders.

That's all I wish!

E or M43 mount would be super nice for the speed boosters but EF would be OK

I think a lot of people would be happy if for NAB 2016 Black Magic simply shipped the cameras they announced at NAB 2015...

10. Collapse Details
    I'm very curious what Arri has planned given that they have recently announced two cameras (Mini and Alexa 65) that are based on the sensor of the current Alexa.

What does that mean for the near future?

The current sensor is brilliant, but has been on the market for 5 years and there is little doubt that Arri has been working on a followup for some time.

My guess is that the followup will not be any higher than 4k. I believe that Arri would only go as high as 4k to satisfy the spec sheet jockeys like Netflix who are now demanding that their content is shot on a native 4k camera. Personally I believe in Arri's motto of "Better pixels, instead of more pixels.", but I'm not sure of they can stand their ground against the entire market.

If they announce an Alexa II at NAB 2016 where does that leave a camera like the just announced Mini that uses the current generation sensor? What about the Alexa 65 that uses a supersize version of the current generation sensor?

Regardless, an Alexa II would be good news for anyone in the market for a used 1st generation Alexa...

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast