1. Collapse Details
    How to record external mic in Nikon D810?
    Is there a menu setting somewhere in the D810 that I need to set so I can record the audio signal from external mic? I turned the internal mic off in the D810 and then in my Zoom H4, I output from the line out port to the mic input of the D810. I tested and there is no audio at all. Any suggestion is much appreciated.

2. Collapse Details
    I have a 7100, so it may be different - but find the audio level control and activate the audio meters (I assume it has meters and level control) and see what you get. On the 7100, plugging in a mic turns off the external mic, so you may have turned audio off completely. And dig through the manual if nobody else pipes up! Still nothing? Make sure you're getting audio from the Zoom's line out, plug it into a device that can take the line signal and make sure you have enough level.

3. Collapse Details
    Okay, I think I got it working but but for some reason, only the left channel is working. The right channel is not. Any suggestion?

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lor View Post
    Okay, I think I got it working but but for some reason, only the left channel is working. The right channel is not. Any suggestion?
    The minijack is likely stereo - you may be feeding it a mono signal. Check the manual, if it's a TRS connector, it's stereo. There may be a way to jump it, sometimes using a TS male plug sends the signal to both channels. Or you could short something out… you might need to make an adapter and come from 2 outputs of your recorder. Unless your recorder has a stereo (TRS) out.