Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Prores is available for the PC - I send ProRes to several PC editors. Dig around on google. It's quicktime codec, on Apple you only get it if you have pro software (FCP) it doesn't come with iMovie. I know it can be downloaded for the PC.

It's a very robust codec and designed for editing, even 4K on older machines run Prores OK. In tests, it can be re-compressed again and again with little or no artifacts.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Faith, when you say your footage was "29.97," does that mean 30p or 60i?
    It's 60i interlaced...
    FAITH GRANGER, Multi Award winning filmmaker

"Best Feature Film", "Best Cinematography", "Best Editing", "Best Screenplay" Awards

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Carter View Post
    Prores is available for the PC - I send ProRes to several PC editors. Dig around on google. It's quicktime codec, on Apple you only get it if you have pro software (FCP) it doesn't come with iMovie. I know it can be downloaded for the PC.

It's a very robust codec and designed for editing, even 4K on older machines run Prores OK. In tests, it can be re-compressed again and again with little or no artifacts.
    I'll call my SONY Rep Monday and find out more. She's will Probably know where to find it. Does it produce large files or is it easy on disk space?

"Best Feature Film", "Best Cinematography", "Best Editing", "Best Screenplay" Awards

4. Collapse Details
    Okay so I have noticed no one commented on the screen grabs I posted. and does anyone have the same outcome when they take a clip and render it in after effect?

5. Collapse Details
    Try this.
    Right click on the footage in the AE project panel > Interpret footage > Main > Color management
    Nothing should be checked and it should say "Use Imbeded Profile"

I am doing this from memory right now and am not an expert in this area, but I seem to remember that menu.

If that doesn't help, you might also want to ask this question over at Creative Cow's AE forum
    forums.creativecow.net/adobeaftereffects

Jim

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuceofspades View Post
    It's 60i interlaced...
    Do it in Vegas. Set the deinterlace method to None, disable resample, and render as 24p.

There are some things which Vegas does better than AE, and this is one.
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jimerson View Post
    Do it in Vegas. Set the deinterlace method to None, disable resample, and render as 24p.

There are some things which Vegas does better than AE, and this is one.
    1. Do I want to put them on a 29.970 timeline with your above settings and then render them as 24P? Or keep them on 24p timeline?

2. What do I set project property my field order as? None? Or??

3. Ok so set project property deinterlace method to "none" and then set clip property to "disable resample" correct? I want to make sure I got all the settings set correctly before testing your recipe.

I am willing to try your recipe. But I want to be honest and say that everyone on the internet AND my Sony techs are saying that to properly convert you have to slow down the footage and then use a decent software to speed it back up (if you want smooth playback, no stagger , no ghosting, no artifacts etc etc ). I HOPE THEY ARE WRONG AND YOU ARE RIGHT because if this works it would save me many many days of of frame rate conversion work.
    Last edited by Deuceofspades; 11-15-2015 at 05:32 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    Jim, when I tested with COLOR MANAGEMENT OFF, all the options in Interpret footage > Main > Color management were turned off, but the renders yielded same problem (the trick did not work)

Quote Originally Posted by arco1 View Post
    Try this.
    Right click on the footage in the AE project panel > Interpret footage > Main > Color management

I am doing this from memory right now and am not an expert in this area, but I seem to remember that menu.

If that doesn't help, you might also want to ask this question over at Creative Cow's AE forum

Jim

9. Collapse Details
    WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT -- I messed up a little before; I was responding in two different threads about two different problems and turned myself around a bit.

You want the deinterlace method to be Interpolate Fields -- absolutely not Blend Fields, and not none. When coverting 60i to 24p, you ARE deinterlacing, as opposed to working with 24p.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuceofspades View Post
    1. Do I want to put them on a 29.970 timeline with your above settings and then render them as 24P? Or keep them on 24p timeline?
    It technically shouldn't matter, but do it in a 24p timeline just to be tidy.

2. What do I set project property my field order as? None? Or??
    Again, it technically shouldn't matter. But if you're working in a 24p timeline, you're already working with a field order of None. So, just do that.

3. Ok so set project property deinterlace method to "none" and then set clip property to "disable resample" correct? I want to make sure I got all the settings set correctly before testing your recipe.
    As noted above, set the deinterlace method to Interpolate Fields. And yes, disable resample in the clips.

Your render settings should be 23.976 and field order of None (progressive). If you're changing resolution, you want the render quality to be Best. Also, if the format gives you a choice, choose a high bit rate (ex: at least 10,000,000 for AVCHD).

I am willing to try your recipe. But I want to be honest and say that everyone on the internet AND my Sony techs are saying that to properly convert you have to slow down the footage and then use a decent software to speed it back up (if you want smooth playback, no stagger , no ghosting, no artifacts etc etc ). I HOPE THEY ARE WRONG AND YOU ARE RIGHT because if this works it would save me many many days of of frame rate conversion work.
    I can't for the life of me imagine why you'd ever need to slow anything down in order to do this. Using Interpolate fields will prevent ghosting; you'll get ghosting with Blend fields. Disabling resample means you're working with single images, as opposed to resampling, which will blend images/fields together, producing ghosting.

What the settings I gave you will do is take a single 60i field and create a whole frame from it, drop the next few fields, then take another 60i field and make a whole frame out of it, and repeat the process in the equivalent of a reverse 3:2 pattern.

You will lose some resolution -- you can't avoid that no matter what you do -- but the result should be nearly identical to what you'd have if you'd shot 24p from the beginning.

You will open yourself up to the possibility of even MORE artificating and ghosting if you slow it down and then speed it up again. That's a completely unnecessary step.

I've done this conversion quite a few times, and Vegas is very good at doing it.

The worst you can do by trying is take up a little bit of time. Just choose a few clips which are a few minutes long and see what you get. Make sure they have some degree of motion in them.

Good luck!
    LEARN FILMMAKING - DIGITAL STREAMING AND DOWNLOADS OF GREAT TRAINING PROGRAMS!

WRITING FOR TELEVISION ARTICLE | "ASSUMPTION BLUES" FILM NOIR RADIO PLAY | "BLUE SCARLET" RADIO PLAY

10. Collapse Details
    Jim, when I tested with COLOR MANAGEMENT OFF, all the options in Interpret footage > Main > Color management were turned off, but the renders yielded same problem (the trick did not work)

Quote Originally Posted by arco1 View Post
    Try this.

Jim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast