Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Shaw View Post
    I'm sure it's been said before in this thread, but it bears repeating. It is not "7Q S-Log2". It is FS700 S-Log2. Internal S-Log2 recordings and 7Q recordings are the same, bar any noise-reduction type processing which the camera does and the 7Q does not.
    On what do you base this? When you send a raw signal from the FS700R to the Odyssey 7Q, it's the 7Q that's doing the processing from raw to S-Log2/S-Gamut. That processing needn't necessarily match what the FS700R does internally. Was Convergent Design provided by Sony with the transformations used to go from raw to S-Log2/S-Gamut? Or did Convergent Design try to mimic what the camera does internally? Any idea if Atomos used the same method? I'm thinking about ways to compensate for the non-standard gamut.
    Last edited by balazer; 10-02-2017 at 05:48 PM.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by balazer View Post
    On what do you base this? When you send a raw signal from the FS700R to the Odyssey 7Q, it's the 7Q that's doing the processing from raw to S-Log2/S-Gamut. That processing needn't necessarily match what the FS700R does internally. Was Convergent Design provided by Sony with the transformations used to go from raw to S-Log2/S-Gamut? Or did Convergent Design try to mimic what the camera does internally? Any idea if Atomos used the same method? I'm thinking about ways to compensate for the non-standard gamut.
    Not all cameras output the same "RAW". Sony's raw output already has a lot of processing done in camera. (Like debayering) So I don't think the Odyssey is doing as much image processing as you might think.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmc View Post
    Just out of curiosity....have you tried NOT using SLog2? You can record in Rec709, RAW to ProResHQ on your Odyssey 7Q.

If you're not in a HDR scene, I wouldn't bother with Slog2.
    Even though this is a super old post - I wanted to chime in and say that I personally don't shoot in Rec709 on the fs700/7q because the colours aren't right. I'd rather go slog2, then do a quick LUT correction and get better results than shooting in Rec709 where I'd need a big correction anyway. The red's aren't red and the whole thing looks off to me. So to me if you need to do CC anyway w/ some tweaking, better to have more control w/ slog2
    I'm a jack of all trades and master of SOME.

www.frasertoms.com

4. Collapse Details
    Looking for a consensus among FS700 users: do any of the built-in color modes render colors correctly? I mean Standard, Still, Cinema, Pro, and ITU709 Matrix, or just turning the picture profile off. A couple of people mentioned that colors were good with the picture profile turned off.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by fatman View Post
    Even though this is a super old post - I wanted to chime in and say that I personally don't shoot in Rec709 on the fs700/7q because the colours aren't right. I'd rather go slog2, then do a quick LUT correction and get better results than shooting in Rec709 where I'd need a big correction anyway. The red's aren't red and the whole thing looks off to me. So to me if you need to do CC anyway w/ some tweaking, better to have more control w/ slog2
    There are a ton of REC709 LUTs available as well, better yet, make your own in 5 minutes using a color chart.

Point is, using SLOG2 in dark scenes is going to give you horrible noise. It gives you highlight latitude, at the expense of shadow detail.

6. Collapse Details
    Dear Friends,

I would like to add a little to this conversation.

The Odyssey7Q, Odyssey7Q+ can accept 2K and 4K Raw from the FS700 (all models that can output Raw).

It is important to set the Sony FS700 to use Picture Profile 7, and this Picture Profile must be set to Factory Defaults.
    If you change Picture Profile 7, then the colors will be off.

I hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Dan Keaton
    Convergent Design

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910