Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ZazaCast View Post
    Back in 2008 I believe there were at least 50 (or more) films entered...so yeah, it has slowed down a bit. Seems the focus of the community has shifted from flimmaking to camera specs, all well & good...just different. Personally, I miss the old days where we supported & pushed each other into making a film. Good, bad or indifferent...we were actually MAKING something, using the tools & creativity we have...making it happen and helping each other along the way. A big part of it for me was that we each kept a film production log as we went along. It was great to read about how each filmmaker overcame the hurdles of 'no budget' filmmaking. Just knowing you weren't the only one running into problems put you at ease. If you had a problem you couldn't solve, fellow DVXer's would jump in and offer to help any way they could...great community!
    Just to hit home on that, as a pro-non-enterer, I entirely agree.

I don't post anymore, but always haunt the forum when available. It hurts to see the amount of people online compared to the RED forums, perhaps that's just down to nostalgia slightly. My only two cents was perhaps reigning it back a bit to 'Horror fest' for a broader spectrum, rather than Zombies, but I don't particularly feel any 'blame' can be created or put on things. I feel a lot of people have just perhaps sadly moved on? Maybe not.

I do hope it doesn't put a nail in the coffin for future potential short DVX fests, I feel it took long enough to see this one pop up again. Looking forward to seeing the films of those who entered.

By the way, not the foggiest what Gear Talkers means.

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Shawn Philip Nelson's Avatar
    I'm really sorry to see the low turnout. In the spirit of a positive brain storm... whatever happened to the notion of a 'Ultimate Fest' that would be Landmine centric and thus would be spread across the other 'users for maximum penetration? It was awkward to see that other great thread about that and then instead of that...a dvxuser zombie fest? Personally, I was highly likely to enter but the moment it was about zombies I had to check out. Had it been 'Scary Fest' I would have tried.
    Whatever happened to Hunter's idea and him ring leading all the old timers to come back?
    Formerly user 'shawneous'.

"Every great idea is on the verge of being stupid."
    -Michel Gondry

3. Collapse Details
    I really don't think it's the chosen subject. there was discussion that zombies were "played out" in 2008 too. and every fest theme had its share of naysayers who didn't feel inspired by it. still, many looked at it as a challenge to stretch creatively. there has definitely been a shift in the site since the so-called DSLR revolution. less effort has been placed on showing what you can do, and more on demonstrating what any given camera can do. as for myself, i've moved to places where screenwriting, cinematography and directing are discussed. not too much of that here anymore, sadly. and i'm kinda stumped by how to go about revitalizing it. i'm inclined to think it wasn't meant to last and that we didn't know how good we had it back then.
    DOWN AND DANGEROUS is now on iTunes :: A smuggler bleeds like anyone else. He just gets more chances to prove it.
    THE SABI COMPANY :: FACEBOOK :: TWITTER :: IMDB :: #DADmovie

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak Forsman View Post
    I really don't think it's the chosen subject. there was discussion that zombies were "played out" in 2008 too. and every fest theme had its share of naysayers who didn't feel inspired by it. still, many looked at it as a challenge to stretch creatively. there has definitely been a shift in the site since the so-called DSLR revolution. less effort has been placed on showing what you can do, and more on demonstrating what any given camera can do. as for myself, i've moved to places where screenwriting, cinematography and directing are discussed. not too much of that here anymore, sadly. and i'm kinda stumped by how to go about revitalizing it. i'm inclined to think it wasn't meant to last and that we didn't know how good we had it back then.
    I just hit the like button.

5. Collapse Details
    I still find DVXuser to be an amazing source of information, but it does make me sad to see how quiet the Fests have gotten - I really used to love them.

And I definitely agree with Zak, "I'm inclined to think it wasn't meant to last and that we didn't know how good we had it back then."

6. Collapse Details

7. Collapse Details
    Are we suppose to post our entry or is Jason going to post them? What was the final thoughts on this contest? Anyone know?

8. Collapse Details
    Sad to hear there were only two entries. We developed a pretty solid zombie-comedy script at my office, but got too busy with work to shoot in October so it never came to fruition.

I don't have a whole lot of ideas about how to improve DVX Fests again, but I agree with some posts above that it's not just about the subject matter or lack of prizes. Are there any other websites running successful fests right now? What are they doing differently that DVX isn't? Maybe tighter deadlines or shorter time limits?
    Last edited by ASchear; 11-14-2015 at 06:11 PM.

9. Collapse Details
    Mobie540: Shared a link to this thread and your video on FB. Congrats on completing an entry and getting it in. Gotta love story telling.
    "Remember To Dip the Right End of the Cigar in your $250.00 dollar glass of Brandy." -Doc Bernard.

10. Collapse Details
    The slowdown is universal.

I do a nature and wildlife film challenge and only a handful of entries are submitted. A few years ago we'd get like forty films submitted.

Not sure why that is but I know the focus is so much on the gear that I think potential filmmakers feel that if they don't have the latest iteration of a Red camera they can't make a film.

I see a lot of single clips posted here and there but either no want wants to take the time to string them together to tell a story or they don't know how.
    --==Kevin==--
    Kevin J Railsback
    Silver Phoenix,LLC
    Filmmaking Naturally

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast