1. Collapse Details
    overall consensus on the new mac pro and after effects?
    Hi, guys what is the overall opinion on the new mac pro with after effects and premiere pro cc?
    it's time for an upgrade coming from a old mac pro 12 core, I am a heavy after effects (motion graphics mostly) and premiere user
    hackintosh and windows is not an option

I am thinking about a new mac pro 8 core with thunderbolt raids

2. Collapse Details
    I have had the new Mac Pro 8-core with twin D700s and 32GB RAM and have been using CC2014 for about a year. It is running Mavericks as many that had Yosemite told me to stay away from that...

My media etc. lives on various G-RAID Thunderbolt 2 units (mainly a Studio R 12GB 4-bay unit configured in the RAID 5 set-up it was delivered with). Various external discs are used for back-ups as needed. It is driving two Dell 27-inch monitors (I hate Apple's shiney mirror like displays...). It also has FCPX on it - but not really using that much yet.

It generally works reasonably well but CC is not as stable as CS6. I should say I mainly use PP and Audition - I am (not yet) a heavy user of AE. When projects start to get (mildly) complex, CC will lock up and then just require a Force Quit before I can continue - happens about 5 times a day.

Guess what, I now version save, very, very often. Not had time to "experiment" with CC2015 yet...I will let others do Adobe's beta testing before I jump into that. Certainly, I read of many issues on the official Adobe forums a while back.

I also (still) heavily use my old 2009 Mac Pro 8-core with 32GB RAM and a Nividia GTX card (from memory a 285) plus CS6 Production Premium (and FCS 2), plus various internal and external eSATA and FW800 G-RAID systems for media. It is now running (and locked down at) Mountain Lion. This old Mac Pro is driving two 24-inch Dell monitors. It is a little slower but more stable...in fact it never crashes (touch wood!)

Hope this helps and I would love to know how others are getting on with the new Mac Pro and CC2015 too.

3. Collapse Details
    Thank you for that info, I also read that cc2015 is slower on the new mac pro when it should be much faster

4. Collapse Details
    At work we're running the new trashcan's, all of them maxed out. We are also (unfortunately) running Adobe and all of the apps that I use regularly are buggy and unstable with the CC2015 release. Most of my work here consists of VFX, so I was using AE daily. In all honesty, CS6 and maybe the original CC are the only versions I would recommend people use. These problems have not just been on the trashcan either, but on my personal laptop which is Windows. The problems got so bad that I've switched to Avid, Protools, Fusion and Resolve rather than Premiere, Audition, After Effects and Speedgrade like I was using before.

Independent Filmmaker
    BMD URSA Mini 4K/Avid Media Composer/NukeX/Blender/Mixcraft/ProTools/Resolve Studio

Feature Films
    Wulf - 2008 | Leap - 2010 | Leap: Rise of the Beast - 2011 | Surviving The Wild - 2020