Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by visceralpsyche View Post
    Unfortunately I'm Windows based so I have no experience with Final Cut X sorry!
    All you need is colorgradingcentral.com "LUT Utility" or "Color Finale" to use these LUTs.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by dustylense View Post
    Example of highlight rolloff and DR.

Notice the red circle around the fenders line in the highlights.

Leeming: Line does not complete. whack greens.
    Attachment 105742

VLOG with Neumann LUT (called "nothing Crazy). Line in car fender almost makes it. Far better shadows and greens are natural.
    Attachment 105743

VLOG with J. Miller LUT. Line completes. Wonderfull highlight rolloff. Natural Greens.
    Attachment 105744

Leeming CineD vrs J.Miller VLOG Lut for skin. Notice the greens and the highlight rolloff of the palm of my hands (lets just say that a fortune teller would give me a false reading using the CineD).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMV_OhGCiO0

HIGHLIGHT DR AND ROLLOFF!!! NIGHT AND DAY! Look at fender of car.

Leeming Cine D:
    Attachment 105745

VLOG with J. Miller LUT. Look at highlight separation of car fender. You're gonna state there is no increase in DR of VLOG vrs CineD, Mr. Leeming?
    Attachment 105746
    But looking at the Jag fender, it's clearly clipping in the Cinelike D shot. If you clip, there's nothing to pull back. Plus, look at the shadows. Mine seems lighter and the V-Log seems darker.

Can I ask, for the sake of fairness, that you post the ISO and exposure info for comparative shots, so we know they have the same exposure? And that you expose to the right for Cinelike D, such that nothing is clipped using the Zebras at 105%? Because my feeling is, that fender shot, with nothing clipped, I could easily bring back the highlights below 90% IRE like V-Log L does, and get the same rolloff characteristics.

Thanks in advance! (Sent you beta 103 too by the way, which I think might just have fixed the problem with the greeens and some other colour clips you've been seeing).

Cheers from Berlin,

Paul
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films
    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

Mobile NL: +31 6 2095 2590
    Mobile JP: +81 80 8439 4635
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

3. Collapse Details
    All you need is colorgradingcentral.com "LUT Utility" or "Color Finale" to use these LUTs.
    Both products appear to be Mac only.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by visceralpsyche View Post
    But looking at the Jag fender, it's clearly clipping in the Cinelike D shot. If you clip, there's nothing to pull back. Plus, look at the shadows. Mine seems lighter and the V-Log seems darker.

Can I ask, for the sake of fairness, that you post the ISO and exposure info for comparative shots, so we know they have the same exposure? And that you expose to the right for Cinelike D, such that nothing is clipped using the Zebras at 105%? Because my feeling is, that fender shot, with nothing clipped, I could easily bring back the highlights below 90% IRE like V-Log L does, and get the same rolloff characteristics.

Thanks in advance! (Sent you beta 103 too by the way, which I think might just have fixed the problem with the greeens and some other colour clips you've been seeing).

Cheers from Berlin,

Paul
    Just followed your PDF manual. Exposed highlights ETTR as you state. Concentrated in the specular highlight of the fender. Now, If I were to hold that fender, your shadows would crush like a bug under a boot. For CineD set zebra at 100% (instead of 105) and closed 1/3 stop. For VLOG, I set zebra to 80% and and closed down 1/3 stop.
    Applied LUT's, lifted CineD shadow a touch and left the VLOG shots with just LUT only (No adjustments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_A7IDTcn8

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Lpowell View Post
    Both products appear to be Mac only.
    Right. They are so you can apply LUTs to clips in FCPX. FCPX being well...Mac only.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

6. Collapse Details
    Just followed your PDF manual. Exposed highlights ETTR as you state. Concentrated in the specular highlight of the fender. Now, If I were to hold that fender, your shadows would crush like a bug under a boot. For CineD set zebra at 100% (instead of 105) and closed 1/3 stop. For VLOG, I set zebra to 80% and and closed down 1/3 stop.
    Applied LUT's, lifted CineD shadow a touch and left the VLOG shots with just LUT only (No adjustments).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o_A7IDTcn8
    Could you pull white levels down to 90% IRE max and see how the fender looks?

Because the JPG still I pulled from your example shows it clipping.

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Leeming
    Visceral Psyche Films
    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

7. Collapse Details
    Just so people know what's happening in the background, I'm iterating the LUT some more based on Dusty's feedback

Here's the release LUT (v1.00):

Uncompressed 4K PNG here: http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/w...T_One_v100.png

And here's v1.03 BETA of the LUT. Green levels altered, shadows lifted a touch and overall saturation increased to give an easier baseline for grading up or down saturation wise:

And as always, uncompressed 4K PNG to pixel peep and avoid any JPG artifacts: http://www.visceralpsyche.com/misc/w...e_v103beta.png

I'm not resting until we get it perfect!

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Leeming
    Visceral Psyche Films
    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

8. Collapse Details
    Another comparison.

CineD Leeming:
    CineD.jpg

VLOG J. Miller
    JM VLOG.jpg

Artifacts are nearly the same in the originals. I give the slight edge to CineD.

Take care of those greens by having less blue/green and more of a yellow/green and you have a good alternative to VLOG for using CineD for wide landscapes. Highlights go to VLOG though.

9. Collapse Details
    Now keep in mind, that there is more room to play with the VLOG. Not to say that what you have done is null. You might want to make some different versions. Keep the version you have. But make a version with the greens shifted to the yellow spectrum so they aren't fluorescent. I've also shot CineD with your manuals recommendation. 0-255 range. Lets see it with 16-235. Lets play with the highlights/shadow adjustments.

It's an alternative to use with what you have done. Especially if one wants to avoid sky banding in 8bit. I'd say revise setting zebras at 105% and set them at 100% and maybe close down 1/3 stop.

10. Collapse Details
    Hi Paul,

I'm curious why you suggest adding saturation (setting "0") on the Cinelike D profile, as opposed to -5.

Thanks!

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast