Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by visceralpsyche View Post
    I haven't tested all the profiles, just the ones I used myself (Portrait used to be my go-to for skin tones until I built my LUT).

My aim was the V-Log L target, as everyone (myself included) was initially excited to finally have a colour correct profile, only to find out later about the chroma issues.

Cheers,

Paul
    Thanks Paul! And thanks for taking the time to make this LUT!
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

2. Collapse Details
    Just ordered it.
    Can't wait to use it.
    Canon C100, GH4, HPX250, HPX170, GH2, Jimmy jib lite, Portajib Explorer, Advanta jib

3. Collapse Details
    ROUND 1
    Let's look at the dreaded magenta/cyan color error:

V-LOG L > VLOG709 LUT
    detail_1_color_error_vlog.jpg

CINE-D > Leeming One LUT
    detail_color_error_1_leeming.jpg

Much less pronounced using Cine-D. We all knew that, but just wanted to verify and make clear.

WINNER: CINE-D/Leeming
    Last edited by joe12south; 10-03-2015 at 08:56 AM.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    ROUND 2
    Color balance and uniformity:

V-LOG L > VLOG709 LUT
    detail_greyscale_vlog.jpg

CINE-D > Leeming One LUT
    detail_greyscale_leeming.jpg

V-LOG L/709 color balance is nearly dead on, with a .9% blue push. Uniformity from black to white is similarly tight.
    Cine-D/Leeming One color balance is significantly red deficient, with a 1.1% deviation from blue. Uniformity from black to white is good.

WINNER V-LOG L/709 LUT (but this is definitely something Paul can tweak if he desires.)
    Last edited by joe12south; 10-03-2015 at 08:55 AM.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by mash_gh4 View Post
    if paul leeming would really understand and respect the nature of information exchange in public forums, he would simple share his insights in a more consequent way.
    it doesn't make so much difference if you describe a solution to problem by words or put it into technical form like this LUTs.
    but there is big difference between sharing information within a community and just doing public relation work to sell a product.
    it's a pity, that panasonic opened pandoras box by selling this stupid upgrade for the first time. but it doesn't get better, if we get used to this kind of stupid business making and just try to participate in it as good as we can.
    so i think, we should really ignore this LUT from paul -- not even discous it -- maybe copping it under a differned name and share it for free
    but, for sure, i would appreciate it, if he would document and share the few technical ingredients of this LUT with us in a more collegial manner, to use and improve it together in a more forum adequate way.
    Incredibly misinformed post. There has been an incredible amount of sharing in this thread, and it is so obvious the amount of work done and not kept for personal use. Sharing of this LUT for $15 is a bargain, however, at the very least Paul should refund the $15 Dusty paid. I for one applaud what has been done via this thread.

6. Collapse Details
    ROUND 3
    Shadow noise:

V-LOG L > VLOG709 LUT (200%)
    detail_shadow_vlog.jpg

CINE-D > Leeming One LUT (200%)
    detail_shadow_leeming.jpg

This one is a little more subjective, because what Paul does might not be considered "accurate". Because color noise in shadows is truly an "error" (that even uneducated viewers find objectionable) my opinion is that it is reasonable to take steps to minimize its appearance, even if those steps cause pure color accuracy in shadows to suffer. In this case, shadow saturation is lowered beyond what is "true", but the net effect is much more pleasing image with noise that does indeed look more like film grain and less like sensor noise.

WINNER: Leeming One
    Last edited by joe12south; 10-03-2015 at 10:16 AM.

7. Collapse Details
    ROUND 4
    Saturation:

V-LOG L > VLOG709 LUT
    detail_saturation_vlog.jpg

CINE-D > Leeming One LUT
    detail_saturation_leeming.jpg

The Leeming One LUT unnaturally lowers saturation from what was captured, and is less than that of the V-LOG709 profile. While I understand that some people prefer this look, for accuracy's sake, I would prefer that Paul keep the saturation at a more natural level. (It can easily be reduced during the creative grade if that is the desired "look".)

WINNER: VLOG-L/709
    Last edited by joe12south; 10-03-2015 at 09:34 AM.

8. Collapse Details
    ROUND 5
    Dynamic range (highlights):

V-LOG L > VLOG709 LUT
    detail_highlights_vlog.jpg

CINE-D > Leeming One LUT
    detail_highlights_leeming.jpg

When we talk about extending dynamic range, most of us don't really care about reaching farther into noisy shadows...we want to be able to recover extra highlight detail rather than blowing it out. I don't see any extra range with V-LOG...the values are simply shifted lower and then they just as abruptly stop. The GH4 has about 10 "usable" stops of dynamic range in video mode. Nothing about either profile really changes that fact.

WINNER: Tie

9. Collapse Details
    Joe, just wanted to say - awesome tests! I'm taking notes and will take a look at the LUT through your test results once they are completed, as some tests may overlap in the way a fix for one fixes the others. Good work!

Cheers,

Paul
    Paul Leeming
    Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Actor
    Visceral Psyche Films
    www.visceralpsyche.com
    www.LeemingLUTPro.com

Mobile NL: +31 6 2095 2590
    Mobile JP: +81 80 8439 4635
    Facebook: Paul Leeming

10. Collapse Details
    ROUND 6
    Color accuracy

Raw comparison:
    chart.jpg

At first glance, there appears to be meaningful differences in how the two LUTs interpret color. For example, look at G4. But...we have to take into account the different exposures (V-LOG L exposes a bit lighter.) After normalizing the images (black level, mid level and white level matched) we find that the two are a much closer match.

V-LOG L > VLOG709 LUT
    chart_vlog.jpg

CINE-D > Leeming One LUT
    chart_leeming.jpg

To help visualize the difference, let's look at the "difference":

chart_difference.jpg

No difference would yield a totally black image. The brighter the color, the more the difference.

What we can see is that while there are some minor differences in hue, the major difference between the two is Leeming One LUT's lack of saturation.

WINNER: VLOG-L/709 (again, difference is small and something Paul could change if desired.)

Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast