1. Collapse Details
    Rec button cause the camera to randomly reboot
    Hi,

Sometime when I press the red button on the power switch, the camera starts recording then pauses and reboots. It happens randomly mostly when in use it for a long time. I can't figure out the reason. I've tried with the secondary button at which point it was happening everytime and that solved the problem but it is really uncomfortable to proceed this way for run and gun use.

I sent the camera back to Panasonic once but I don't know if they changed anything on it and the problem still occurs. The camera is 4 years old but has just 120 hours of use mostly interiors on tripod. I love this little camera but I'm a bit afraid of using it for serious work anymore...

Does anybody have a solution for this strange behavior ?????
    Last edited by jpbouckaert; 09-30-2015 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spellcheck

2. Collapse Details
    Best I can remember was there is a firmware update way back that allowed you to disables the ring around the "thumb" record button. (The ring is the problem.) Then you assign a button to go into thumbnail view. That fixed the issue on my camera.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    I had similar problem last 2 years and sent back to factory and it's good as new. Panasonic acknowledge to be a bad switch design or faulty switch. You should not be experiencing anymore mishaps on the recording with the button. If it still occurs, it means Panasonic didn't completely replace the switch. I'd get it fully fixed before the 5-yr warranty expires. The HPX-250 is still quite useful, especially with two P2 slots. I already experience enough Micro SD/Micro P2 media glue came off and certainly will not go with the PX-270 due to questionable media reliability with SDHC/Micro P2. Not only that, SDHC cards are a pain to deal with. They're so small and can easily be misplaced or even lost in the field. I hate it. Spanning is a must have feature for me and Micro P2 spanning only is unacceptable for the PX-270. I'm not going to spend $30K on the PX5000 just to have the ability to span on either P2 or Micro P2 slots.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbouckaert View Post
    Hi,

Sometime when I press the red button on the power switch, the camera begin to record then pause and reboot. It happen randomly mostly when in use for a long time. I can't figure the reason. I've tried with the secondary button at a moment it was happening everytime and that solved the problem but it is really uncomfortable to proceed this way for run and gun use.

I send the camera back to Panasonic once but I don't know if they changed anything on it and the problem still occur. The camera is 4 years old but has just 120 hours of use mostly interiors on tripod. I love this little camera but I'm a bit afraid of using it for serious work anymore...

Does anybody have a solution for this strange behavior ?????

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

4. Collapse Details
    Thank you for your informations, in fact, I was looking for help because a return to Panasonic didn't solve the problem. But after looking for more information, I saw on the Panasonic support web page that my first repair was "cancelled" and after a phone call to Panasonic they told me they never received my camera from DHL the first time, so I sent it back to them and I hope that this time the switch will be changed.
    @Gkantaiper : normally I should operate the camera without your workaround but it's a good thing to know if the problem comes back, thank you.
    @Lonewolf : it should be ok now and the camera is still under warranty, weird that they didn't get it the first time, thank you for your answer.
    I agree that "full" P2 are more reassuring than SD format cards for serious work, I saw the PX-800 at IBC which has 2 full P2 slot and should be cheaper than the 5000, in case the 250 didn't fit for your needs anymore.
    Personally, I found that the 250 is so light that I'm not interested by a shoulder camera anymore (except when I need to use a Ledzilla on it). Sad that the new DVX200 uses SD card, this little camera was nice to see on the Panasonic booth...
    Last edited by jpbouckaert; 09-30-2015 at 04:16 AM. Reason: spellcheck

5. Collapse Details
    I actually like the workaround better and never sent my camera in to be repaired. I guess I should send it in since I don't use it much anymore. jpbouckaert, would you mind posting what the official name of the problem / fix including a link to something I can reference. A number to call, etc... Thanks very much.

I also have the 270 which makes a much higher quality image and is lighter, but not too light. I agree that you have to be extra careful not to misplace the microP2 cards, but I have had no build quality issues. The viewfinder on the 270 isn't as robust and moves when you press your face against it with too much pressure and that is annoying. But the convenience of not needed a reader is wonderful.

6. Collapse Details
    Hi Gkantziper,
    The camera should go back this week and IŽll post the reference, for a number to call I live in Belgium so I can't help you, nice to read that you didn't get problem from your micro P2 card. Is the image quality of the 270 really better than the 250 ? In which way ?
    For the ingest I always use USB host or device so it's not a great concern for me.

7. Collapse Details
    Thanks jpbouckaert, I'll look for your post. I'm not sure what Panasonic did inside the camera other than improve the lens, but the images can look "sharper" on the 270 like a modern Sony HD look, if you want that look, or you can paint/match the 270 like a full size 2700/3700 as it has (virtually?) all the paint functions of the full size cameras. Gamma, etc.... It is pretty much a 2700/3700 stuffed in a small package. The menus are dizzying. Now, you need to get some sleep!

8. Collapse Details
    Thank you, I'll try to see a 270 more in details. And I was already sleeping ;-)
    Last edited by jpbouckaert; 09-30-2015 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Spellcheck