1. Collapse Details
    Should I go from T3i to Sony FDR AX 100 or Sony AX33 to make a short film?
    I'm planning a short film and need some advice on choosing a camera. There's no budget to hire someone, so I will be handling the camera myself. I have experience with a T3i, which I own.

However, it seems like a T3i's output will reduce the quality of the final product. For one, it does not auto focus during live video mode. I may be able to show the film in a movie theater, by hiring it for a few hours. So, this may require converting it into DCP and I'm not sure the T3i is up to it, either.

So, which camera should I opt for. I was looking at Sony FDR AX 33, or Sony AX100. I can afford something in that range but would like something which is not going to be totally obsolete in a short span of time. I would prefer something I can make a micro-budget feature with, later, without having to again worry about upgrading. I have a few lenses to go with the T3i and some other gear. So If I opted for a full frame Canon DSLR like 5D Mii/iii or 6D, maybe I can use those but I keep reading about strobing, rolling shutter and other troubles and managing sound, editing, follow focus, editing, post-production, just about everything seems more convenient with camcorders.

Also is there anything very important the higher end camcorders have that the lower end ones don't? I was thinking, maybe if it's only about having a high range of zoom or more FPS then I can hire another camera in the future if the new camcorder I buy isn't upto it. So, maybe I can go for a camcorder than costs $1K to $2K now. Is this a sensible move?

By the way I considered renting but since I will need to hire someone to handle the camera or alternatively take it on rent for a few days to get used to it, it doesn't seem to be feasible. I anticipate at least 10-15 days of shooting.

Thanks.

2. Collapse Details
    Look into RX10II at $1,200.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Look into RX10II at $1,200.
    Some reviews claim that it has rolling shutter troubles.

4. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Theron Cooper View Post
    Some reviews claim that it has rolling shutter troubles.
    Almost every camera in the world has rolling shutter troubles besides a handful. The RX10II and RX100IV are both excellent choices to look into...they have A LOT to offer. (Although the IV doesn't have a mic input which is most likely a problem.)

You can still make films with your T3i.

Check this out for some inspiration (T2i): http://www.eoshd.com/2014/05/kendy-t...year-old-dslr/

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Almost every camera in the world has rolling shutter troubles besides a handful. The RX10II and RX100IV are both excellent choices to look into...they have A LOT to offer. (Although the IV doesn't have a mic input which is most likely a problem.)

You can still make films with your T3i.

Check this out for some inspiration (T2i): http://www.eoshd.com/2014/05/kendy-t...year-old-dslr/
    I get it that rolling shutter is quite common. I'm not keen on using the T3i because it will take a lot of time and effort to make this film and if I can't show it in a regular cinema to a select audience it will be a waste. The T3i's footage is not very post-production friendly I have read. It will also look lousy on the big screen given its low bit rate. So I'm considering buying a new camera. I will look into both the cameras you have suggested.
    Last edited by Thomas Theron Cooper; 09-23-2015 at 10:47 PM.