Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Now that the DVX200 has an official ship date...
    Is anyone here planning to take a second look at it? It didn't seem like there was much enthusiasm for the DVX200 at NAB this year. If anything, AF100 owners seemed generally disappointed, while GH4 shooters seemed indifferent. Has anything changed for any of you? My personal feeling is that I'm not nearly as comfortable paying 5k (or more) for an 8bit 4:2:0 camera. I might have been able to live with the fixed lens (maybe)... but MP4? So many nice features... such a lackluster CODEC.

Shawn

2. Collapse Details
    Senior Member Cryogenic Filmworks's Avatar
    Have you not been following this thread?
    http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...held-Camcorder
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. (Tuco-The Good, the Bad and the Ugly)

IMDb Green Eyed Monster // Waiting 2 Die:A Veteran Affair // Bail Out

DVX100b / T3i / HMC150 / C100 / Atomos Ninja Blade
    50mm 1.8 / 24mm 2.8 / 18-55 5.6 / 75-300mm 5.6 / Rokinon Cine DS 85mm

3. Collapse Details
    Ah sorry, no. I don't usually go to the Industry News & Information forum. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Shawn

4. Collapse Details
    There's lots of nonsense back and forth in that thread, but if you make it through, you'll learn a lot more about the camera.

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMi View Post
    Is anyone here planning to take a second look at it? It didn't seem like there was much enthusiasm for the DVX200 at NAB this year. If anything, AF100 owners seemed generally disappointed, while GH4 shooters seemed indifferent. Has anything changed for any of you? My personal feeling is that I'm not nearly as comfortable paying 5k (or more) for an 8bit 4:2:0 camera. I might have been able to live with the fixed lens (maybe)... but MP4? So many nice features... such a lackluster CODEC.

Shawn

The nature of most of what I do being what it is, assuming the finished product doesn't suck (and some of the stills Noel Evens has posted makes me think it won't), I'll probably be selling my AF100 and HMC150 to buy it... should make a good replacement for both (for me). I'll keep the GH4 for when the DVX's lens won't cut it (it's grown on me way too much). B&H has it on pre-order for $4,200, which seems about right for it (adjusted for inflation, that's cheaper than the AC160 at launch).

The last few dozen or so pages of the above mentioned thread have some of the best info. Newsshooter.com is halfway through a 4-part review of a pre-release model.

6. Collapse Details
    Wow, that is an epic thread. You're right, there's a fair amount of noise, but it was worth reading about some of the issues at this stage of development. Looking forward to seeing what the images from the release camera will look like.

7. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Harvey View Post
    The nature of most of what I do being what it is, assuming the finished product doesn't suck (and some of the stills Noel Evens has posted makes me think it won't), I'll probably be selling my AF100 and HMC150 to buy it... should make a good replacement for both (for me). I'll keep the GH4 for when the DVX's lens won't cut it (it's grown on me way too much). B&H has it on pre-order for $4,200, which seems about right for it (adjusted for inflation, that's cheaper than the AC160 at launch).

The last few dozen or so pages of the above mentioned thread have some of the best info. Newsshooter.com is halfway through a 4-part review of a pre-release model.
    Yes, I saw the review. I'm looking forward to reading more as it becomes available. I'm also really curious to see what the uptake by AF100 owners is going to be. What about the DVX200 appeals to you?

Shawn

8. Collapse Details
    Yes, I saw the review. I'm looking forward to reading more as it becomes available. I'm also really curious to see what the uptake by AF100 owners is going to be. What about the DVX200 appeals to you?

Shawn
    Two things.

I miss the wonderful ease of use of my old DVX100b.

I actually like that crazy red panel.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Cameras: Panasonic: GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony: RX100 ii, Canon: 6D, T2i, 80D, SL2, Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x3),
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

9. Collapse Details
    ...What about the DVX200 appeals to you?

Shawn
    It seems like they stuck my HMC150, AF100, and GH4 in a blender... the ease of use for run and gun-ish stuff of my HMC150 (never having to swap lenses while in the middle of recording a surgery? "Wait... Doc... can you remake that incision? I was changing lenses..." ), the codecs of my GH4 (I think this whole non-4:2:2 thing is overblown, at least at this price point), and lot of the handy aspects of my AF100. The big gripe for me is the speed of the lens, but if it's as clean at higher ISO's as Barry says it is, I can live with it... most interviews I shoot are between f/3.5 and f/4.5 anyways.

I mean, it's an HMC150 with a 4/3 sensor... or a AF100 with a fixed servo lens. Either way, this is the camera I would have bought it came out at the same time as the AF100.

10. Collapse Details
    I'm also really curious to see what the uptake by AF100 owners is going to be. What about the DVX200 appeals to you?
    I'm an AF100 owner and intend to pre-order the DVX200 in the next couple of weeks.

I'm actually a three-Panasonic family, so to speak. I still have my now five year old HMC80, but it has been completely eclipsed by my new (since April) PX270. That is and will probably remain my workhorse. Much of my stuff ends up in the broadcast realm, even if only the local PBS station, and there's no question about the PX270's formats being acceptable under their standards. The long zoom and very sensitive power zoom control are important to me as well, and the low light performance in ordinary interiors is reasonably good, even if not stellar.

The AF100 gets used mainly for interviews, these days, where I can control the lighting and like to use fast lenses for narrow DOF. Its known limitations with sharpness and dynamic range aren't terrible handicaps for this work. I also use it for some very-long-lens work outdoors, and for close-up and macro shooting.

The DVX200 will fill a couple of gaps for me. It will allow me to dip my toes into 4K if the situation demands, although I expect FHD will continue to be my mainstream format for a while yet. It gives me another handheld unit for ENG style interviews and B-roll, and looks to be something I can hand to a student in more-or-less auto mode when doing free-form documentary and events coverage. (I work in a high school, and help cover a lot of lectures and events there, sometimes with very inexperienced help.) But the big sensor means I can get a different kind of look from the PX270 while using it in the same kinds of environments, and makes it suitable for more formally staged and lit interviews and performances as well. A wide range zoom with a servo that can do very subtle adjustments and smooth ramps in and out are super important to me, as is a quality audio system with XLRs and decent headphone monitoring. And I despise having to build up complex rigs with lots of cables, power supplies and external equipment just to cover these basics.

I don't intend to get rid of the AF100 right away. When I need F1.4 DOF, a 600mm tele, a macro, or the 12-35mm f2.8 for an impromptu walkabout or interview in a darkish room, none of my other cameras can really do the job as well. What pretty certainly will happen is that I'll be donating the old HMC80 -- there's nothing it does that the PX270 can't handle (often a whole lot) better.

I'm with many of the rest here in wishing the AF200 had turned out to have a faster lens and internal 4:2:2 recording. I also wish it weighed a pound and a half and sold for $19.95 complete with case and tripod, but as Barry Green would say, it is what it is, and the price is fair for what you're getting. (And tongue firmly in cheek, I wish they would offer the side panels in a choice of colors and finishes, even though the red is very sexy.)

- Greg
    Last edited by Greg Smith; 08-27-2015 at 11:04 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast