1. Collapse Details
    HVX200 Shutter problem?
    shutter set at 1/2000 1080 60i image brightens and darkens, am I missing something??

2. Collapse Details
    Under what kind of light? If it's under fluorescent light, then yeah, the shutter speed is so short that it's catching the fluo at different points in its brightness cycle.

Try it in broad daylight, I'll bet you see no brightening/darkening.

3. Collapse Details
    yep, your right...so just use very intence lighting inside? what about shooting at night with that setting? looking for Breaking Bad/Walking Dead look any ideas on settings?
    thanks

4. Collapse Details
    Well, the issue is that a fluorescent doesn't output a continuous stream of light, it fluctuates up and down. It uses a ballast, and the light intensity fluctuates at a certain frequency -- old fluorescents might cycle 60 times per second, newer electronic-ballast fluos might cycle at many thousand times per second.

You can avoid the issue by using a continuous light source, such as sunlight or tungsten lighting.

5. Collapse Details
    how about that Breaking Bad/Walking Dead look any ideas on settings? or is the 1/2000 what I'm looking for?

6. Collapse Details
    If you want the super-fast shutter look, you'll need to use a light source that is flicker-free. The cheap one is sunlight.

Most of that "look" is in the color grade, framing, and composition. Shutter speed is really just a small part of it. To be honest, I'm not sure that shutter speed is near that high on those examples, anyway. On pieces of cinema famous for the high-shutter-speed look (e.g. Saving Private Ryan's D-Day landing) the shutter is still at 45 degrees, which is about 1/200 in 23.976 fps.

The only reason I can think of for shooting at 1/2000 would be if your only goal is just to pull freezeframes from a video file.

7. Collapse Details
    sounds great, I will give it a try. Thank You Very Much
    saw that in the HVX book what page??
    Last edited by ppsproductions; 08-25-2015 at 01:24 PM.