Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Simon View Post
    Even the GH2 sensor has the pixels to do a proper DCI recording.

Flat - 19981080 or 39962160
    Scope - 2048858 or 40961716
    ya but even there you deliver lower resolution, which is why many shooters prefer anamorphic out of 16:9 or 4:3. With the GX8 sensor, GH5 should have the sufficient oversampling for a much more detailed 2.4.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomfactor View Post
    I'd be happy with the above, minus 4K 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording - this is because it would be likely to have serious overheating issues, and probably noise issues in the sensor...

Adam
    Newer chip technology - going down to 14-16 nM from 20-22 - should have fewer heat issues. New batteries - and Panasonic is a major global battery manufacturer - should have more juice for a small fan.

2. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
    No, word is they are going to keep the HDMI, timecode, and latency issues, so everyone that owned a GH4 will feel right at home.
    ;-)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

3. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolf Silber View Post
    A solid HDMI port.
    and that! ;) - why can't anyone engineer a built in locking port for HDMI? HDMI and the extra time money and hassle it takes to find solutions to it's fundamental weakness are a PITA! Same goes for recorders such as the Shogun and standalone monitors (ok some of those like certain ruige models have built-in locks, but as everyone knows, this practice is far from the norm).

Adam

4. Collapse Details
    and that! ;) - why can't anyone engineer a built in locking port for HDMI? HDMI and the extra time money and hassle it takes to find solutions to it's fundamental weakness are a PITA! Same goes for recorders such as the Shogun and standalone monitors (ok some of those like certain ruige models have built-in locks, but as everyone knows, this practice is far from the norm).

Adam
    all they really need to do is recess the hdmi port maybe a 1/4", thus the connector sheath takes the strain and not the connector
    C100 / Aerial Shooter/Editor - NY/NJ

My work, My equipment, My other whatnots...
    www.DarrenLevine.com

5. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by DLD View Post
    Newer chip technology - going down to 14-16 nM from 20-22 - should have fewer heat issues. New batteries - and Panasonic is a major global battery manufacturer - should have more juice for a small fan.
    That's interesting! - I'd be keen to see how that could be implemented into the existing form factor without issues. Remember, On-board, 10 bit 4.2.2. Pro-Res HQ processing @ 4K is also likely to be factor as to weather or not this is possible in such a compact system.

I'm not saying it's impossible because I don't know, but it would sure be good to find out. I wonder if Atomos has the tech to successfully make a '4K Shogun Star' along the same lines as the 'Ninja Star' without overheating? Of course the sensor is taken out of this equation, but I can imagine that the heat issue is still not a trivial thing to solve.

Adam

6. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
    all they really need to do is recess the hdmi port maybe a 1/4", thus the connector sheath takes the strain and not the connector
    Exactly Darren, It ain't rocket science! - unless there is some kind of pact going on with third party accessory manufacturers (I'll break out my Tin-foil hat)

Adam

7. Collapse Details
    Other companies are making full size locking connectors, here's an example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&Q=&A=details

8. Collapse Details
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
    Other companies are making full size locking connectors, here's an example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&Q=&A=details
    Like I said earlier, I know that they do exist, but they are far from mainstream. It's fair to assume that there is a reason behind this, but maybe not necessarily. Hard to know unless we were privvy to the decisions of the group behind the HDMI standard.

Adam

9. Collapse Details
    That's interesting! - I'd be keen to see how that could be implemented into the existing form factor without issues. Remember, On-board, 10 bit 4.2.2. Pro-Res HQ processing @ 4K is also likely to be factor as to weather or not this is possible in such a compact system.

I'm not saying it's impossible because I don't know, but it would sure be good to find out. I wonder if Atomos has the tech to successfully make a '4K Shogun Star' along the same lines as the 'Ninja Star' without overheating? Of course the sensor is taken out of this equation, but I can imagine that the heat issue is still not a trivial thing to solve.

Adam
    Intel said (and, yes, I just Googled for this) back in 2013, when the 14 nM chips were still in the final stages of development, that they'd have a 30% better power management than their 22 nM based processors. How exactly that translates to the photo/video cameras - I have no idea. Mind you, these 14 nM chips only began to ship in numbers in the second quarter of 2015. Samsung and LG also have those (or similar) 14-16 nM processors. Qualcomm is not shipping their 14 nM Snapdragon 820 yet but they're going to be made at the Samsung fab anyway. In any case, by the spring 2016, 14-16 nM processors should be in every new smartphone ... and maybe camera too.

As to the batteries, that GigaFactory that Panasonic and Tesla are building in Nevada should begin a partial run by the end of 2016/early 2017. Musk said that it should drop the pricing to $150-$170/kWH from the current $300'ish (or 40%-50%) but there are a lot of big boys muscling onto that territory as well.

10. Collapse Details
    Do Panasonic have their own sensor technology they are working on or does everything trickle down from Sony?

Page 3 of 222 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast